• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi specials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too surprising, Aldi for example regularly have meat offerings that you rarely find in the butchers anymore. Currently slow-cooking up a slab of fresh brisket from them, haven't been able to get it for years. Will grab a couple more for the smoker.

When they put legs of goat on special they were sold out in hours last time.

Back on beer topic, I'll be buying the assorted 4 packs just for the Hacker-Pschorr .. it would be great if they ever got Flensburg back again, hopefully during Oktoberfest.

Bribie G said:
Not too surprising, Aldi for example regularly have meat offerings that you rarely find in the butchers anymore. Currently slow-cooking up a slab of fresh brisket from them, haven't been able to get it for years. Will grab a couple more for the smoker.

When they put legs of goat on special they were sold out in hours last time.

Back on beer topic, I'll be buying the assorted 4 packs just for the Hacker-Pschorr .. it would be great if they ever got Flensburg back again, hopefully during Oktoberfest.
I just want them to bring back the Hopper Whitman Nut Brown :(

Aldi were selling a couple of glass drink dispensers for $15 (I can't see them on their website now).

I grabbed an 8.7L one. There was also a slightly smaller one which seemed to be exactly the same price.

It has a silicon/rubber grommet where you attach a tap, which will pull the grommet tight against the glass to create a seal. So it looks like it'll be easy to clean and sanitise and should seal well. The tap is included, but not attached. I didn't check how easily the tap could be pulled apart for cleaning, but hopefully that's just as easy to clean.

I'm thinking I might use it to make mead and/or to age an RIS or something (possibly use it for splitting batches between it and my 5L demijohn).

kaiserben said:
Aldi were selling a couple of glass drink dispensers for $15 (I can't see them on their website now).

I grabbed an 8.7L one. There was also a slightly smaller one which seemed to be exactly the same price.

It has a silicon/rubber grommet where you attach a tap, which will pull the grommet tight against the glass to create a seal. So it looks like it'll be easy to clean and sanitise and should seal well. The tap is included, but not attached. I didn't check how easily the tap could be pulled apart for cleaning, but hopefully that's just as easy to clean.

I'm thinking I might use it to make mead and/or to age an RIS or something (possibly use it for splitting batches between it and my 5L demijohn).
Not sure about the bigger one, but bought one of the smaller 6.5 lt ones for making Kombucha.

The seal on the tap seems okay, although mine was leaking this morning, but that could be due to operator error.

The lid, at least on the smaller one, is just a cork top, not really good for sealing at all.

When I was in Aldi last Friday, they still had a bunch of them on the shop floor.

WarmerBeer said:
The lid, at least on the smaller one, is just a cork top, not really good for sealing at all.
The bigger one had a glass lid with an orange rubber ring.

Our Aldi has a beef roast with Carne Asada (.sp) spices. A day in the slow cooker and it shreds perfectly and makes brilliant burritos!

I bought one of those drinks dispensers a couple of years ago and did a batch of scrumpy in it, looked great just sitting on the coffee table, and AFAIK cider doesn't risk light - strike. However when it was empty I accidentally kicked it off onto the tiled floor. R.I.P.

Bribie G said:
However when it was empty I accidentally kicked it off onto the tiled floor. R.I.P.
How closely did the kicking follow the emptying? :ph34r:

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Unless you live in Backwards States like Qld and Tas, where selling booze at supermarkets is illegal.
You can order it online though.

sp0rk said:
I just want them to bring back the Hopper Whitman Nut Brown :(
You're selling yourself short if you think that's better than the German beer.

Bribie G said:
I bought one of those drinks dispensers a couple of years ago and did a batch of scrumpy in it, looked great just sitting on the coffee table, and AFAIK cider doesn't risk light - strike. However when it was empty I accidentally kicked it off onto the tiled floor. R.I.P.
Bribie, were you dancing on the table at the time? The Time Warp, perhaps? How did you get your leg up there to kick it off?

nosco said:
Has anyone ever cooked a beef brisket on the Webber? Keen to give it a go.
Yep, a dozen or so on my kettle. Low and slow with hardwood (or chips at least), wrap it up and rest in the esky for at least an hour.

pcqypcqy said:
You can order it online though.
No, they closed down the online service as it wasn't being much used, and they needed to free up resources for their push into SA and WA.
I have a very low coffee table

Bribie G said:
No, they closed down the online service as it wasn't being much used, and they needed to free up resources for their push into SA and WA.
I have a very low coffee table
Dang, I was loving some of their $5 wine.

Les the Weizguy said:
You're selling yourself short if you think that's better than the German beer.

Bribie, were you dancing on the table at the time? The Time Warp, perhaps? How did you get your leg up there to kick it off?
Oh, the German beer is far better, I'll be gettting the wife to stock up for me tomorrow
But the Nut Brown was quite good on a hot afternoon as a quencher with some sort of flavour

You are a home brewer right, a summer ale is not a hard brew haha

Bribie G said:
AFAIK cider doesn't risk light - strike.
Light strike in wine and cider is different from light strike in beer but it's still a problem. In the former it's caused by reduction of riboflavin, in the latter it's cleavage of isohumulones, in both cases the result is the production of thiol "off" flavours.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
Light strike in wine and cider is different from light strike in beer but it's still a problem. In the former it's caused by reduction of riboflavin, in the latter it's cleavage of isohumulones, in both cases the result is the production of thiol "off" flavours.
Mmmmm, "cleavage"...

Back