Aldi Liquor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have tried many of the aldi varieties. Some arent too bad.

I recommend the 'shipstones crew' beer from aldi. I reckon its fantastic value for $30. I would still buy it if it were crown lager prices. Most times i am there i pick a slab (i think you northerners say 'carton')

Oh and i have never been to an aldi in Victoria that doesnt have alcohol.

I still hear slab and think pallet :lol:

I am heading to Bali on the 6th for a week. Any info on this brewery or any others to look out for?

Not really. The Storm Brewery have about five or six in the range, each one tastes remarkably like the other. And in many places the beers were mishandled, and just plain horrible. There's another brewery called 'Stark" that do a light and a dark wheat beer. The examples I was given were undrinkable.

Check the big supermarkets (such as Hardy's or Coco's) for some nice stouts and ciders.

Other than that, I will reluctantly say that Bintang is your best bet. Fresh, cold and goes down well in scorching hot tropical weather. And for around $1.20 a bottle.

Bars & restaurants in Kuta may be a different story for decent beers, I wouldnt know, as I avoided Kuta entirely.

Bintang cold is pretty good in Bali. I had good experiences with the Storm range. You're right about them all tasting reasonably similar but they were pretty well made and taste better than Bintang (unless it's HOT and you need refreshment). Think of Storm as a bit like James Squires and you'd be on the right track.

And no....the Aldi Storm beer has no association...

Re: Aldi, last year when Barons Brewery was on it's way down they had a tonne of Black Wattle on sale for $10 a six pack. Yum. Just saw it again yesterday in Woolies liquor.

I have noticed over the last 5 years or so that our supermarket chains in this area are selling more and more good quality Craft / Boutique Beers from a wide variety of small or large brewers , once all you had was a choice of either Carlton or Tooheys or Coopers and that was it. Hell maybe it cost a bit more but it's just nice to go grab a sixpack of LCPA now and then instead of going to the pub and putting up with the shit that goes on there. :angry:

Aldi in vic havr always sold liquor. Its ok stuff. Plenty of posts on ahb about aldi beer etc.

Personally i dont buy their beer. I can brew, wtf would i buy cheap avg beer. Ymmv

Bali Storm beer, IMO is the best locally made beer your gonna get by FAR!!!!!!

MUCH better than the bland Bintang or Bali Hai or whatever.

I also tried the Stark, and wasn't very impressed. One was almost undrinkable, way too bitter for a wheat.

But if you like craft beer and beer with flavor, go the Storm! I agree, there isn't massive difference across the range, but I found that they were all enjoyable. After drinking Bali hai and Bintang for a few days, I was wrapped when I found them!

Wandered into my local Aldi today (alcohol section just opened a couple of weeks ago) picked up a pack of imported Heineken for $10.

They also had imported Becks and Stella, as well as some knock offs. Considering my kegs are almost empty at Christmas time I am willing to give it a go at that price. It seems the best offer the local big boys have is two cartons of Corona for $90 :icon_vomit:

I would say that Nowra is a very similar place to Taree in terms of population, industry and socioeconomic profile. We have had problems with vandalism and violence in the CBD and other areas. Stopping new competitors entering the liquor market during limited opening hours would do little to exacerbate the already present problems, and can only be to the incumbents advantage. Big business always gets its way anyhow.

I'm all for this, Woolies and Coles really are letting us down here with their limited choice and cartel operation.

If anyone here is a Costco member (I'm not), the word on the street is that their vodka (Kirkland brand) is as good as grey goose, but at only a fraction of the price.

*Update*

I can categorically say that Kirkland vodka is freakin delicious. Made in France, five times distilled, right up there with Belvedere & Grey Goose.

I paid $90 for a 1.75L bottle, which is pretty good value for what you get.

Not really. The Storm Brewery have about five or six in the range, each one tastes remarkably like the other. And in many places the beers were mishandled, and just plain horrible. There's another brewery called 'Stark" that do a light and a dark wheat beer. The examples I was given were undrinkable.

Check the big supermarkets (such as Hardy's or Coco's) for some nice stouts and ciders.

Other than that, I will reluctantly say that Bintang is your best bet. Fresh, cold and goes down well in scorching hot tropical weather. And for around $1.20 a bottle.

Bars & restaurants in Kuta may be a different story for decent beers, I wouldnt know, as I avoided Kuta entirely.
Update:
Bali is great but the beer sucked. Stark dark wheat was putrid (metallic?) and the light not much different. Bintang won the race on the day and at around $2/L, ruled. I tried all the beer I could find and was let down. Brought a few ginseng stouts back but I reckon they are left outside in the heat a lot. They dont refrigerate much at all...even cans of coke.

One of my best mates lives in Bali (he's a pilot for an Indonesian airline) and every time he comes over to visit he tries my beers and tries to talk me into starting up a micro in Bali with him. I must say, it does sound rather tempting:

* Minimum government regulation, and what there is you can bribe your way out of.
* There are no other microbreweries in Bali, let alone Indonesia therefore you would have the market cornered. You would be competing with Bintang & Heineken, both of which are shit. See above post.
* You can hire staff for $100 a month to do all of your dirty work like cleaning mash tuns.
* You get to live in tropical island paradise.

The only downside is you would have to import all of your equipment + ingredients, presumably from Europe or the US. That, and you might not make much money until you get your product selling in all of the big resorts, bars and nightclubs, which im guessing would be a lot of hard work to break into...

I wonder if these Flensburger offerings will be worth it.

Aldi.png

Worth a try just for the swing top bottles. Looks like I might offer to do the groceries this weekend ;)

There's also Karmeliter Weiss 3l mini kegs on offer for $20.

Never heard of it...Tripel Karmeleit however, I am familiar with. If only Aldi got some of that in!

As a side note, Aldi online liquor have slabs of Leffe Brune for $60.

Brew Matt said:
I wonder if these Flensburger offerings will be worth it.
Flensburger is a top beer. I would love to get my hands on that for $15 a sixpack. It's a steal!

Danwood said:
There's also Karmeliter Weiss 3l mini kegs on offer for $20.
Danwood said:
As a side note, Aldi online liquor have slabs of Leffe Brune for $60.
Mini kegs sound like good value - 3L for the price of a six pack. :)

Might be luck of the draw, but they seem to always be sold-out of the Leffe when I look...

did any of you find the flensburger? my local aldi store had and apology posted on the wall saying it wasn't available. I asked someone working there and they had no idea. they had plenty of the kegs though

Latest posts

Back