Aldi Liquor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Matt

Reaction score
Our local ALDI store is currently being fitted out to stock liquor. I have been to other ALDI stores, but have not encountered one selling acoholic beverages.

Can anyone in the know advise if we are up for anything special with relation to beer? Any quality German beers at good pricing? Does the range improve at Octoberfest? Do the checkout personal dress up as beer wenches? Am I expecting too much?

Nothing overly exciting but their standard $30/ctn beer called "Sainte Etienne" (or something similar) is pretty good for the money.

They do have "specials" every week or so such as genuine imported Becks, Heiniken, Corona etc which may or may not be your kettle of fish but better than the locally brewed stuff.

They did have one of the well know wheat beers in there last week but for the life of me I can't remember the name.

So all in all....you won't be wetting your pants, but its better than the cheap shit at woolies!!

Here in Ireland they've teamed up with some local craft breweries to produce their own range of beers, which are effectively flagship products of said breweries, tweaked slightly and rebadged, in all they get a good press on their beer.

If you're lucky they'll do something similar in Australia, but you won't know until the grapevine finds out which brewery was doing the brewing for them, if they were to follow a similar model.

don't bother. I was hoping there would be a hidden treasure like I had found in budget supermarkets in Europe, but to no avail.

They do knock offs of Stella & boags. Both not bad beers for the coin. The storm light beer is quite nice to my tastes for a light.
Newcastle is the test area for aldi liquor so I've been informed. They plan on rolling out to the rest of the country for Xmas new year.
As for Oktoberfest beers..... Yes they do! But it's alcohol free :(
The wines are nice too. Just thought I'd add.

Nothing overly exciting but their standard $30/ctn beer called "Sainte Etienne" (or something similar) is pretty good for the money.

They do have "specials" every week or so such as genuine imported Becks, Heiniken, Corona etc which may or may not be your kettle of fish but better than the locally brewed stuff.

They did have one of the well know wheat beers in there last week but for the life of me I can't remember the name.

So all in all....you won't be wetting your pants, but its better than the cheap shit at woolies!!

I bought a carton .. bottles at Ulladulla $20.00 Storm is the name..
Would not go out of my way for it...
They only had cans or bottles..
Each store may have different types..
PJ

The storm light beer is quite nice to my tastes for a light.

There's a craft brewery in Bali, Indonesia called Storm. I wonder if it's the same mob. Can't imagine it would be economical to import, and it's a fairly dull range.

Aldi have been carrying booze in other states for a while. Can anyone advise if they sell spirits too? Would be good to get some cheap & nasty vodka for mixing.

They have had in the past a pilsner called Red Angus.
It's brewed in Griffith by DeBortlies winery,t h e same guys who brew Williams pale ale. And at $12 a six pack much cheaper than the big green bottle shop and quite tasty.

They have had in the past a pilsner called Red Angus.
It's brewed in Griffith by DeBortlies winery,t h e same guys who brew Williams pale ale. And at $12 a six pack much cheaper than the big green bottle shop and quite tasty.

I am happy to take a gamble on something like this if the price is right. Havent seen this one in DM's for a year or two.

They do knock offs of Stella & boags. Both not bad beers for the coin. The storm light beer is quite nice to my tastes for a light.
Newcastle is the test area for aldi liquor so I've been informed. They plan on rolling out to the rest of the country for Xmas new year.
As for Oktoberfest beers..... Yes they do! But it's alcohol free :(
The wines are nice too. Just thought I'd add.

It was a Paulaner, i bought it just to see what it tasted like. Pretty surprised with how good it was being no alcohol and all. $1.79 is all it cost.

Aldi are rolling liquor out across NSW where the local licensing authorities approve of it. So some towns will get it, others won't. For example here in nearby Taree we have a brilliant new "larger version" Aldi with the five aisles but the Greater Taree Council won't give them a liquor license. It's widely acknowledged that Woolies have basically shafted us as they are about to start building a Dans and a majority of councillors (for some reason we can well guess at) feel that there are too many liquor outlets in the area anyway which contribute to some city centre bingeing problems at weekends, so they say.

Bingeing problems? Come back to Fortitude Valley with me and I'll show you bingeing problems. :huh:

Queensland will not get liquor in any supermarkets for the foreseeable future - I would guess the Garden Gnome and his band of banjo virtuosos is well in the pockets of the big two. The Paulaner did make it to QLD, was very nice and a good lawnmower.

edit: surprised to walk into IGA and see a liquor section but nothing to write home about. Local Old Bar Cellars have a fantastic range including Dutch Hooten 660ml 3 for ten bucks and Bavaria 660ml 3 for twelve bucks, plus heaps of local crafts.

Interestingly in the Sydney Metro area, the only Aldi stores presently listed as liqour outlets are all lower socio-economic suburbs.

Don't they realise that there's tightass binge pissheads all over Sydney ? I want me some $15 vodka at my local store !

Aldi are rolling liquor out across NSW where the local licensing authorities approve of it. So some towns will get it, others won't. For example here in nearby Taree we have a brilliant new "larger version" Aldi with the five aisles but the Greater Taree Council won't give them a liquor license. It's widely acknowledged that Woolies have basically shafted us as they are about to start building a Dans and a majority of councillors (for some reason we can well guess at) feel that there are too many liquor outlets in the area anyway which contribute to some city centre bingeing problems at weekends, so they say.

Bingeing problems? Come back to Fortitude Valley with me and I'll show you bingeing problems. :huh:

Queensland will not get liquor in any supermarkets for the foreseeable future - I would guess the Garden Gnome and his band of banjo virtuosos is well in the pockets of the big two. The Paulaner did make it to QLD, was very nice and a good lawnmower.

edit: surprised to walk into IGA and see a liquor section but nothing to write home about. Local Old Bar Cellars have a fantastic range including Dutch Hooten 660ml 3 for ten bucks and Bavaria 660ml 3 for twelve bucks, plus heaps of local crafts.

Do a little historical research on Taree's past Bribie and you might see why the Council are nervous about discount bottle shops opening.

If anyone here is a Costco member (I'm not), the word on the street is that their vodka (Kirkland brand) is as good as grey goose, but at only a fraction of the price.

There's a craft brewery in Bali, Indonesia called Storm. I wonder if it's the same mob. Can't imagine it would be economical to import, and it's a fairly dull range.

Aldi have been carrying booze in other states for a while. Can anyone advise if they sell spirits too? Would be good to get some cheap & nasty vodka for mixing.

I am heading to Bali on the 6th for a week. Any info on this brewery or any others to look out for?

My father in law bought some of the Storm 'premium' (sic) light the other day at Aldi Albion Park. Annoyingly sweet vaguely alcoholic mouthwash. Not in a hurry to try their other offerings if that's the 'premium'...

i have tried many of the aldi varieties. Some arent too bad.

I recommend the 'shipstones crew' beer from aldi. I reckon its fantastic value for $30. I would still buy it if it were crown lager prices. Most times i am there i pick a slab (i think you northerners say 'carton')

Oh and i have never been to an aldi in Victoria that doesnt have alcohol.

Back