Butchers really get my goat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent the arvo digging post holes (the $300 Ebay auger actually starts and works......pleasantly surprised) for my goat fence. Only 200m on fencing to run, plus the hot wires (which is more like 800m), and I'll have a couple of boer does waiting for a future buck (buck pen completion......next year).

On the topic of rabbit.......they're pretty easy to raise for meat. A mate was crossing British giants over NZ giants in a shed about 3m x 4m and was eating rabbit twice a week. You need to be vigilant with the cleaning if you want to keep the smell down, and also keep out the mozzies (and maybe vaccinate against mixy too), but these things were dressing out around 1.5 kg. Biggest was over 2.

Unfortunatley he's had to give it up due to work getting in the way, so I've grabbed his cages to run quail in. Another under appreciated source of protein.

I love rabbit, when I was a kid in the UK after WW2 guys would come round the doors at our council estate with bunches of rabbits hanging off their bike handlebars, and Mam could buy two freshly shot rabbits for two shillings. She'd skin and gut them and make a really nice stew. Spit out the buckshot onto the side of the plate.

I believe many an Aussie teenager made their pocket money that way as well.

I like them even more since I discovered that they taste similar to cat.

Funnily enough, while working in the Furneux group of islands, I had a chat to bloke who'd actually eaten cat. On purpose, while full of piss. Not really that palatable apparently. He reckons in the morning he went to switch on the radio but instead turned on the electric frying pan that he'd cooked his mum's cat in the night before. Long story short.......if you want a stink that clings to the curtains in your mum's place, heat up the little bit of rendered cat fat left over from last night's piss up and let the vapour infiltrate its way through the house.

Sweet Mother Of God JLM!!!!

Your mate wins this round.

jlm said:
Funnily enough, while working in the Furneux group of islands, I had a chat to bloke who'd actually eaten cat. On purpose, while full of piss. Not really that palatable apparently. He reckons in the morning he went to switch on the radio but instead turned on the electric frying pan that he'd cooked his mum's cat in the night before. Long story short.......if you want a stink that clings to the curtains in your mum's place, heat up the little bit of rendered cat fat left over from last night's piss up and let the vapour infiltrate its way through the house.
You win

Although

When I lived and worked in Junee, had a good mate that was a crack shot ( and Commobeweath dart champion ) with a Tike .17 on fox's

Used to go shooting with in in my morry ute

Back in the day good skins payed $30ea

He had skins nailed all over the verandah and anything wood during winter, even the side of the house...

Fur buyer came during winter 3 times during winter and he would make a grand or so every time

**** the place used to stink

Only shooter who I knew could shoot a match box at 500...and bitch that it was off center...and blame himself

Liam_snorkel said:
"In some countries, such as Australia, pigs are slaughtered at a younger age."

could this be why it's so hard to find proper meaty american style pork ribs? No matter what butcher I go to, there is never as much meat on them as seen on my favourite TV show "BBQ Pitmasters" :(
You mean like my 4pm breakfast in Las Vegas yesterday?

DSC_0264.JPG

IMG_20150508_160626.jpg

Holy **** that looks disgustingly yummy.

Just grabbed a side of goat for $60. $11.60 kg now but that's all good.

Yay, I'm taking a friend down to the John Hunter hospital in Newcastle for a checkup on Wednesday and it the same suburb is Hunter Valley Chicken and Game, and round the corner at Adamstown is Food Point (restaurant and catering mob open to the public as well) that both stock Boomer Boer goat body parts.

Then off to Beaumont Street to stock up on Indian spices and other consumables, pig out at Raj's then check out a Dans and an Aldi Liquor.

Bribie salivates uncontrollably.

Over the last few weeks I have spoken to at least five butchers about goat in the Taree and Wingham area, and each time I get the nervous look "please let this strange man die on the spot so I can get back to hacking up some loin chops".

Feckwits.

BTW, the Wauchope butchers are changing hands and don't do goat at the moment, but the new lady who is taking over raises some goats on her property and might put a few through.

I was watching ABC recently and a few drought affected farmers have changed from sheep to goat. Originally by rounding up the wild goats. The goats being more hardy are thriving and are helping the farmers get through the drought. However, all the goat meat was for export, none stayed in Aus.

Talking about rabbit a while ago ,but did you know?
Around the 1920's Australia's biggest export,including wool,wheat and beef, was rabbit meat?
Then the cow cockies got pissed off and brought in the myxomotosis.
Looks like I spelled it wrong but wgaf.

Last week my wife was near the Irish butchers shop in Kew, rang and asked me if I wanted anything I asked for some black and some white pudding. Now I can't remember explaining the difference between black & white puddings but she could, and proceeded to ask the butcher how he separated the white blood cells from the red blood cells to get the 2 different puddings, needless to say I got my ear bent when she got home.

OT but Aldi have continental style black puddings on sale at the moment. Only three bucks. I bought a heap and froze them. They are blacker than in the photo.

When we were in Scotland in 2000 we ended up in a food court at a shopping centre and there was a Scottish food outlet selling haggis and chips, deep fried battered meat pies, white pudding etc. SWMBO quite liked black pudding (polite little slices Aussie style) and I ordered haggis.

When the Black Pud'n arrived it was a massive thing like something from Naughty but nice hanging over the plate at each end. :blink: Awesome. Haggis was great as well.

Getting back to the off topic at hand, when I was living in New Mexico there was an old man who would come round the offices in our neighborhood selling tamales, nice and spicy. I probably ate about 500 of them over a couple years. Then he disappeared. I read in the paper that the police found him dead at home, no one to miss him so it'd been awhile. And they stopped counting at 1000 cat skulls in the pit in the back yard. Tasty tamales though.

Did I say I like goat? Kid Piccata. Damn fine eating.

You thought your nose was running because of the chillies ?

Nope, you're just allergic to cats...who knew !

Butcher near me has a good range of odd animals. ******* expensive....but always the best meat. The best steaks i have ever had are always from him.

Asked about a whole kid goat on behalf of a friend for her Greek easter last year. He got on the phone straight to the farmer and could tell me what is available. Thats service.

Bribie G said:
Yay, I'm taking a friend down to the John Hunter hospital in Newcastle for a checkup on Wednesday and it the same suburb is Hunter Valley Chicken and Game, and round the corner at Adamstown is Food Point (restaurant and catering mob open to the public as well) that both stock Boomer Boer goat body parts.

Then off to Beaumont Street to stock up on Indian spices and other consumables, pig out at Raj's then check out a Dans and an Aldi Liquor.
If you're going to be on Beaumont St, get yourself down to The Blind Monk for a few tasty beers
It's just a few shops north of Guzman Y Gomez, across the road from the IGA

Bribie G said:

Bribie salivates uncontrollably.

Over the last few weeks I have spoken to at least five butchers about goat in the Taree and Wingham area, and each time I get the nervous look "please let this strange man die on the spot so I can get back to hacking up some loin chops".

Feckwits.

BTW, the Wauchope butchers are changing hands and don't do goat at the moment, but the new lady who is taking over raises some goats on her property and might put a few through.
My mate is still pushing me to take a few goats off his hands. Bribie, how do you feel about helping me to turn live goats into curry ingredients? Might be a few months off that happening, but we can stock the freezers up when it does

Mission accomplished.

Two fresh legs, bone in from Hunter Chicken and Game, and two kilo packs of frozen diced goat (no bone) from Raj's on Beaumont Street Hamilton.

The legs were $17 a kilo, ouch, but they are from Boomer Boers farmed goats up at Dorrigo - guaranteed young virgin cheerleader goats unmolested by AHB members - and are supposedly top quality.

The diced goat originates from Darwich halal butchers at Lakemba, but a more reasonable $10.50 per kilo.

Good enough for da Grand Mufti, good enough for me, Mashallah.

Now let there be curry, biryani, slow roast goat leg in Persian spices.......

goat meat.jpg

Bribie G said:
The diced goat originates from Darwich halal butchers at Lakemba, but a more reasonable $10.50 per kilo.

Good enough for da Grand Mufti, good enough for me, Mashallah.
Did you pay the terrorism tax separately or was it included in the price

Latest posts

Back