Butchers really get my goat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
A mates old man had 30,000 acres between Wilcania & Tilpa, property called Old Trevalyn. Went out there a couple of times. His neighbour used to go onto surrounding properties and round them up. Pay the farmer a few $ per head, then truck them to his place. He would draft them out into separate paddocks. Then when he had enough of each group he would sell them, mostly overseas. he made more of goats than sheep or cattle, and a lot less work.

**** he had some goats...never seen so many
But do they call you Stu the Great Goat Spotter?

pat_00 said:
The opening hours shits me too, as I will only buy pork if I get it from a butcher who knows their stuff.

"Dear Butcher, can I please have some pork"

"Sure mate, here ya go"

"Hmmmm, are you sure its pork?"

"Yeah mate, pork"

"Really?"

"Yep"

"Are you sure?"

"Yep"

"Where does it come from then"

"From out the back"

"Out the back?"

"Yeah mate, out the back"

"No, really, what animal?"

"What animal?"

"Yeah, what animal?"

"Pigs mate"

"Ahh, you do know your stuff, i'll take it"

(I could have kept going, heehee)

For those down in the SE suburbs of Melbourne (ok, Cranbourne West I think), Brian's Gourmet Meats at the Marriott Waters Shopping Centre... Brian is a true butcher. If he hasn't got it, he'll be able to help find it. All the old butcher jokes, knows how to cook everything & a great bloke for a beer.

Bribie,

Its a 1hr crack but I am pretty sure the butcher in the main street of Wauchope has goat listed on their chalkboard most of the time. Probably worth calling them to check before trekking up the highway. Call into the Black Duck Brewery or Wicked Elf in Port to make it a round trip!

Christopher's Quality Meats

25 High St

Wauchope NSW 2446

(02) 6585 2113

I'll call in there next time we go to the movies at Laurieton.

For anyone in Adelaide, the Meat Market has sides of goat on special this week for $7.48/kg. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

I like Hogget. Much more flavour than lamb.

But try and get it and it cost you an arm and a leg...in days of old, you couldnt give Hogget away

Mr B said:
"Dear Butcher, can I please have some pork"

"Sure mate, here ya go"

"Hmmmm, are you sure its pork?"

"Yeah mate, pork"

"Really?"

"Yep"

"Are you sure?"

"Yep"

"Where does it come from then"

"From out the back"

"Out the back?"

"Yeah mate, out the back"

"No, really, what animal?"

"What animal?"

"Yeah, what animal?"

"Pigs mate"

"Ahh, you do know your stuff, i'll take it"

(I could have kept going, heehee)
You mean you don't discuss modern geo-politics with your butcher?

My reasoning is, when I buy pork at the supermarket it's 50/50 chance that it is male pig. And male pig can be really stinky to a lot of people, myself included. I have bought pork that I just could not eat as it stank so much it made gag. So they don't have to be a rhodes scholar, just know what they are selling.

It's a pheromone thing, it's called "boar taint" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar_taint

pat_00 said:
It's a pheromone thing, it's called "boar taint" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar_taint
Unrelated to boar taint but I just picked this up in the article:

"In some countries, such as Australia, pigs are slaughtered at a younger age."

could this be why it's so hard to find proper meaty american style pork ribs? No matter what butcher I go to, there is never as much meat on them as seen on my favourite TV show "BBQ Pitmasters" :(

Love me some goat in a curry. A friend of the family lives on property out the back of Mt Cootha and they shoot and bbq whole goats on their land all the time.

Ismails Halal Butcher in McWhirters, Fortitude Valley is pretty sweet. They always have a variety of goat meat as well as a damn fine spicy meatloaf and some nice sausages. I used to shop there often back when I worked in the Valley. Cheap meat being sold there in general.

My local Butcher here in Oxley gets goat in once a week and can't keep it on the shelf. He's a nice guy who's working his ass off to compete with the new Woolworths that opened across the road about a year back, so I'll forgive him for not saving me some :p

Love a goat curry.

Current fave meat is slow cooked beef brisket. Not easy to get hold of either.

Liam_snorkel said:
Unrelated to boar taint but I just picked this up in the article:

"In some countries, such as Australia, pigs are slaughtered at a younger age."

could this be why it's so hard to find proper meaty american style pork ribs? No matter what butcher I go to, there is never as much meat on them as seen on my favourite TV show "BBQ Pitmasters" :(
That is absolutely correct.

It's purely a commercial decision based on what the Australian public preferred, and due to the 'lean meat' campaign of the last couple of years, majority of our pork is slaughtered before it gets a chance to get nice'n'fatty.

On the other hand, I've recently swapped from pork ribs to beef short ribs, using exactly the same 3-2-1 methods, with delicious, meaty, results

it's a bloody outrage that's what it is. I love beef ribs but I really want to nail a perfect rack of pork ribs too.

Liam_snorkel said:
it's a bloody outrage that's what it is. I love beef ribs but I really want to nail a perfect rack of pork ribs too.
I love a perfect rack

miss_piggy.jpg

For anyone in Adelaide, the Meat Market has sides of goat on special this week for $7.48/kg. No affiliation, just a happy customer.
Good butchers, so are Specialty Foods at Hindmarsh.

pat_00 said:
You mean you don't discuss modern geo-politics with your butcher?

My reasoning is, when I buy pork at the supermarket it's 50/50 chance that it is male pig. And male pig can be really stinky to a lot of people, myself included. I have bought pork that I just could not eat as it stank so much it made gag. So they don't have to be a rhodes scholar, just know what they are selling.

I rather not indulge in males either ;)

Fair point, the little scenario that captured my mind had no grounding in anything other than silliness, soz bout that

"What kind of pig?"

"It's a boar"

"No really, I'm interested"

Most of the little pork rib racks you get have been cut in half. You can sometimes get the whole rack, and its much more american style then.

The trick though is to look through the available "american style" ribs at various supermarkets and stuff and see if you can find any which have been cut generously with nice thick plump sections and no "shiners".

I keep my eye out and every now and again bring home one small rack... they all go in the freezer and then when its time to do some smoking i'll defrost six or so.

Of course its better fresh... but at least they're juicy.

BTW, for those wondering (and I've had a few PMs), my local butcher is East Blaxland Butcher

https://www.facebook.com/pages/East-Blaxland-Butchery/178859105497408

I've had him prepare a dry aged standing rib roast before :)

Another butcher that I go to when I want a special cut of beef is K&A Quality Meats

https://www.facebook.com/pages/K-A-Quality-Meats/265890603454699

Although they're in a shopping centre, they're the only butcher in the area I found that "breaks beef" on a daily basis... so I was able to get US style brisket, etc at short notice. Unfortunately, Aussie cattle are generally smaller than the US ones, and your run of the mill butcher just gets cryopacked prime cuts in rather than the whole carcass.

FWIW, I recommend whole chuck instead of brisket if you're going to slow smoke it...

I've bought a number of whole lambs and pigs from Pastoral Prime Country Fresh Meat... they're essentially a wholesale butcher, so they supply the other butchers with their prime cuts.

http://www.pastoralprimemeat.com.au

Website says they do goat. 9.99$/kg for diced baby goat.

When getting a whole pig (or a side), you can specify exactly how you want it broken up (if you want it broken up), so I can get a whole belly, and all the ribs, shoulders as big as you can make them, just remove the hocks for loads of pulled pork!, and a whole pork leg or multiple leg roasts. The butcher will even send off your pork legs to the hammery if you want, although the best thing is to just swap your leg for one he's had done earlier...

So, that's three good butchers in the lower blue mountains through to penrith area ;)

Back