Butchers really get my goat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice butcher down the road here. A keen fresh faced butcher bought the old tired one and gutted it. Put in an aging room, and started staying open till 7pm

Now they have a game section, their own cured and dry aged range and will do anything you want. Theres also a nice whole sale butcher in emu plains which sources local animals

Topic title should be 'butchers rarely get my goat'.
Then there would be two puns about meat in one line.

_DSC2462.jpg

There is plenty to go around thats for sure.... Most of them heading out of the country to Asia though.

This was taken in Bourke a couple of years ago as part of a Uni assignment... The guy who owns the property said he prefers lamb, and rarely eats it himself.

Goat is just that bit richer and often less fatty depending on the animal and cut. Roasting a leg later this week. Keep the bone in, bribie.

manticle said:
Topic title should be 'butchers rarely get my goat'.
Then there would be two puns about meat in one line.
Hmmm, I miss the old Mants with his far subtler humour. You've changed man.

To stay on topic: I love meat in almost all forms but have yet to discover a good butcher in my area. Any outer eastern burbanites know of one that supplies game meat around the Croydon/Mooroolbark/Lilydale area?

OT, perhaps, but I contacted Hunter Valley Chicken & Game about some muttonbird, as you may know it's muttonbird season.

Could not help me, but sounded like Would not. I even advised that I'd probably get a few birds and see if anyone else was interested. Oh well, time for a trip to Tassie.

(edit* - I bought some curry goat at the Indian Raj in Hamilton a while back, and my missus ate it, but didn't believe it was goat. Now refuses to eat from said establishment in case they give her goat, as she has no idea what the meat is, and obviously doesn't trust this mischievous lad.)

Stux said:
Nice butcher down the road here. A keen fresh faced butcher bought the old tired one and gutted it. Put in an aging room, and started staying open till 7pm

Now they have a game section, their own cured and dry aged range and will do anything you want. Theres also a nice whole sale butcher in emu plains which sources local animals
I'm up the mountains a bit. Is this butcher open Sundays? If so, can you pm me the name/address etc? ta

Associated, so not completely O/T. Can any of you get Kangaroo from a butcher? I can only get it at Woolworths here. I prefer to support my local little guy, but none of the butchers around here will do it, or goat for that matter. They just say too many people dont like it or it offends people. The irony is not lost between us....
I miss my old butcher. He sold platypus. Tasted kind of like a mix between koala and dolphin.

manticle said:
Goat is just that bit richer and often less fatty depending on the animal and cut. Roasting a leg later this week. Keep the bone in, bribie.

I find goat a lot milder than lamb which can fucken stink when bought from the supermarket.

Inner West Sydney, I can get goat from my local shopping centre butcher, and they can and do cut from carcass in the back if you want as well.

Even better is a place in Marrickville called Feather and Bone. This is by far the most amazing butcher operation you've ever seen. Hugely expensive, but the quality is absolutely amazing. They also teach whole animal butchery if you're keen.

Price list is here: http://www.featherandbone.com.au/pdf/FandB_The_List_of_Everything.pdf

No affiliation, but a happy customer. We eat less meat, but much better quality now.

Rambo said:
attachicon.gif
_DSC2462.jpg

There is plenty to go around thats for sure.... Most of them heading out of the country to Asia though.

This was taken in Bourke a couple of years ago as part of a Uni assignment... The guy who owns the property said he prefers lamb, and rarely eats it himself.
I'm heading up to Cobar tomorrow. Do it every year for a 4wd event. When I started going 5 years ago I thought that's what they farmed. All the cattle/sheep stations had millions of goats and I never saw a sheep or a cow. What else would I think :)

indica86 said:
I find goat a lot milder than lamb which can fucken stink when bought from the supermarket.
Rich in a good way - more flavoursome I guess. Definitely not rich in a stinky way.
McKenry - I'm lucky enough to live and work close to vic market. The chicken pantry is a game butcher within and sell the loveliest, tenderest kanga fillets ever found. Free range chook, bush hen, camel, wallaby, crocodile, emu, quail, goose, squab, venison, duck, you name it so long as it isn't pork, beef or lamb. Hope I can find an equivalent near Hobart.

There is good money in goats out west. In fact they the suit the country well. They dont every last blade of grass like sheep, preferring a mix of grass, sticks, shrubs, trees etc..

They are also a lot cheaper to keep then sheep. They dont suffer the fly strike and worms as much. There pretty much a set and forget animal. unlike sheep which can be hard work.

Goat on a spit is glorious. Especially if you can get the goat a few weeks before hand and grain feed him to get a bit of fat on him prior to roasting on the spit

Ducatiboy stu said:
There is good money in goats out west. In fact they the suit the country well. They dont every last blade of grass like sheep, preferring a mix of grass, sticks, shrubs, trees etc..

They are also a lot cheaper to keep then sheep. They dont suffer the fly strike and worms as much. There pretty much a set and forget animal. unlike sheep which can be hard work.

Goat on a spit is glorious. Especially if you can get the goat a few weeks before hand and grain feed him to get a bit of fat on him prior to roasting on the spit
Feral goats are a gold mine. There's plenty of large property owners that won't let anyone on to shoot goats anymore as they make good money trapping them around watering holes and trucking them out. Money for jam.

I see it rarely, (a wholesaler in Chelsea Vic) and noticed it isn't around for long.
Its pretty good stuff but cant really rate it better than Lamb at same price.
A little different, good, and I wouldn't hesitate to get it again.

Camo6 said:
Feral goats are a gold mine. There's plenty of large property owners that won't let anyone on to shoot goats anymore as they make good money trapping them around watering holes and trucking them out. Money for jam.
A mates old man had 30,000 acres between Wilcania & Tilpa, property called Old Trevalyn. Went out there a couple of times. His neighbour used to go onto surrounding properties and round them up. Pay the farmer a few $ per head, then truck them to his place. He would draft them out into separate paddocks. Then when he had enough of each group he would sell them, mostly overseas. he made more of goats than sheep or cattle, and a lot less work.

**** he had some goats...never seen so many

bribe try the farmers markets up there. also ill ask my mum where to get goat up there.

Back