Ag Cherry Popped At Last...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefevice

Reaction score
Finally after 3 years of procrastinating...err...wait...planning and building...I finally gave up waiting until I finished building the all singing, all dancing automated, bling laden brewing system, pulled my finger out and plunged head long into the world of all grain brewing (whew)! With 3 extract batches under the belt, and comfortable that boiling and fermentation were under control, I figured if I kept waiting for equipment perfection, I would never get started (especially considering I can't weld for shit).

So, wanting to brew that perfect Hefeweizen with great banana/clove balance (requiring a ferulic acid rest at 45C), and no fancy recirculating mash system, I decided to give decoction mashing a go (single infusion is for pussies :ph34r: ).

Here is the ghetto decoction set up (beer is a Belgian Pale Ale from batch #3)...

IMG_0584.JPG

Mash tun is a converted 80L Willow cooler with home made slotted copper manifold.

Lesson # 1 - it is too big for 20L batches; the grain bed is too shallow (under 10cm), and it is difficult to hold temperature with so much air between the top of the bed and the lid.

Lesson #2 - mounting the thermometer in the outlet is not a good idea if you are not recirculating. Unless there is flow over the end of the probe, the thermometer doesn't register the temperature of the body of the mash.

Plan was to brew a simple Hefeweizen; 2.54kg of Weyeremann Pilsner and 2.54kg of Weyermann Wheat Malt (from Brewing Classic Styles). Beertools suggested this wouldn't quite give the OG required (and I had no idea of my system efficiency), so I played it safe at the last minute and used 2.7kg of each.

Schedule was supposed to be dough in @25C, raise to glucan rest (38.7C) with boiling water infusion, raise to 45C (ferulic acid/protein rest) with first decoction, raise to 67C for saccrification rest using second decoction, the mash out at 77C using boiling water infusion. Simple, huh?

First couple of rests went fine, however I struggled getting to the saccrification rest and mash out temps due to the larger volumes and I suspect heat losses in the mash tun. Result was I had to virtually do a triple decoction to get to mash out temp (I'm sure there was a bit of boiling water in there as well, but it is a bit of a blur).

Lesson #3 - if you plan to change the amount of grain, ensure you recalculate decoction and infusion volumes.

Lesson #4 - pull more than you need (30-40%) for each decoction, and boil more water than you need for infusions.

Lesson #5 - try to balance the rests so that the volumes for each decoction are around the same. To get up to the saccrification rest I had to pull over 60% of the mash volume (and that turned out not to be enough).

Lesson #6 - make sure you use a decoction pot bigger than you think you need (mine was about 1L too small).

Anyway, after a mashing schedule designed to take 3 hours took over 4 hours, it was outside to the ultra getto sparging and brewing system (see what lack of welding ability can do to a person..)

IMG_0586.JPG

Mash tun goes on top of the storage box behind the bin mounted HLT.

After all that fun, my first ever fly sparge went very well and thankfully didn't get stuck at all (which is a relief because I forgot to order rice hulls). Using tap water (Caboolture) the pH stayed well in range right throughout the mash and sparging process.

Lesson #7 - use a hose for sparging that you don't need to physically hold inside the kettle. Sparging seems to take longer when you have to hold a hose over a hot kettle.

Gravity out of the mash was well about what was required as a result of playing it safe with the grain, and a higher efficiency than used for calculations (calculated at 70%, achieved ~85%). OG. was adjusted by adding water towards the end of the boil.

After starting the day at around 10am (building last minute gear like a sparge arm), doughing in at 2:30pm, everything was done and dusted by 11pm (pitched, and cleaned up).

Lesson #8 - decoction mashing is nowhere near as complicated and difficult as you would think.

Of course, the proof will be in the final result, which is currently bubbling away in the fermentation fridge (after a bit of a slow start as for the first time I did not make a starter - in previous batches it would have been climbing out of the fermenter the next morning - this time there was no sign of action, and the krausen was only just starting to form after 18 hours).

Many thanks to Ross for talking me out of BIAB for my first all grain batch ;) :beerbang:

Looks like a good system for doing decoction mashes, hefes etc.
Personally I'll stick with my BIAB single infusion pussy system for my UK bitters and Aussie standard lagers and Olds ;)

However howabout joining BABBs if not already a member, as we seem to have a good developing craft membership in the former Caboolture Shire, and we can all keep in touch on a more personal level. :icon_cheers:

Wow! That was a long day.. Hope the beer turns out well after all that effort!

Congrats on popping your cherry Hefe. Chappo mentioned he saw you at Craftbrewer getting sorted to go into AG. I am sure your beer will be fine. Just concentrate on getting your system & methods in order before worrying about efficiencies etc. and Bling doesnt make great beer. Give me a call and I will come for a spin to give you a hand next time.

If you have too much head space in your tun, grab some camping mat from Sams Warehouse up Morayfield and float it over the grainbed.

If you want a stand welded up, I hear Chappo is a good welder :ph34r:..... and over-engineers to the hilt...

May see you next brewday (speaking of, I may have another soon)

:icon_cheers:

Sully

If we can both make it to Sully's (just down the road from Cab.) I'll ply you with some pussy brew :lol: :lol: - and keep some of your hefe for us as well. :icon_cheers:

BTW what suburb are you in? EDIT: oops I see Morayfield. Even better.

Looks like a good system for doing decoction mashes, hefes etc.
Personally I'll stick with my BIAB single infusion pussy system for my UK bitters and Aussie standard lagers and Olds ;)

However howabout joining BABBs if not already a member, as we seem to have a good developing craft membership in the former Caboolture Shire, and we can all keep in touch on a more personal level. :icon_cheers:

Mate, I can assure you that anything other than German styles will be brewed pussy style from here on in. I have actually purchased a bag for BIAB, so I will definitely be experimenting with that in future.

Only issue with joining BABBs (and any other club) is being in town at meeting time due the large about of domestic and international travel involved in my job.

Keen to stay in touch with the Caboolture Shire crew (or is that Moretin Bay Shire now?). Now I actually have some working gear I should be able to host a brew day at last. The up side of that mash tun is that it is better suited to 40l batches.

Wow! That was a long day.. Hope the beer turns out well after all that effort!

Not so bad compared to a drop infusion with fly sparge. The decoction probably added an hour or two, however there is still a lot of time in preparing, sparging, boiling (90 min), cooling and cleaning that is common to the normal process (excluding BIAB).

The cool thing about the decoction was watching (and tasting) the decocted mash go through its various phases as it heats. Gives you a really good feel for the mashing process in general, especially if you have never done it before.

Jeff,
You sly, sly dog! I knew it wasn't far away. Well done mate welcome to the club! As Sully has said don't sweat it just get to know your system and procedures first. The rest will come. I see you took Ross's advice ROFL! :lol:

Hefe start drawing up some plans for a rig and uncle Chap Chap will sort ya out for a brew rig. Welding a choppin' steel is almost as fun as brewing. Nah not really but I'm happy to help ya mate. Trust me brew rigs are worth the effort especially for young buggers like you and me. ;) Plus is ya go HERMS/RIMS it's kinda of nice to have it altogether.

So whens the next brew so Sully and I can come along and show ya how real ameteur brewers do it?

Congrats Hefe

Chappo

Congrats on popping your cherry Hefe. Chappo mentioned he saw you at Craftbrewer getting sorted to go into AG. I am sure your beer will be fine. Just concentrate on getting your system & methods in order before worrying about efficiencies etc. and Bling doesnt make great beer. Give me a call and I will come for a spin to give you a hand next time.

If you have too much head space in your tun, grab some camping mat from Sams Warehouse up Morayfield and float it over the grainbed.

If you want a stand welded up, I hear Chappo is a good welder :ph34r:..... and over-engineers to the hilt...

May see you next brewday (speaking of, I may have another soon)

:icon_cheers:

Sully

Thanks Sully!

I wasn't worried about efficiency at all during the mash (other than making sure I had enough grain to cover possible low efficiency). I figure it's easier to compensate for going over your target gravity than under. The actual efficiency was a quick calcultion with Beertools after I had sparged and measured volume and gravity.

I was actually thinking of your beautiful work of bling art when I wrote that first sentence :D . It was seeing that system that started me thinking that I was a long way off and I might as well go with what I had. It was Ross and Anthony who convinced me that I should do a mash first with the gear that I had rather than kick off with BIAB. Cheers guys, it was worth the effort :beer:

Once I have a few more batches under the belt and get a feel for how the system works, I will definitely hit up Chappo for some help.

I'll give you call before the next brew; and you can come around and laugh at my first attempt at welding a brew stand...

Let us know when the next brew day is scheduled; looking forward to being plied with BribieG's pussy beer.

Transferred the beer off the yeast cake into a keg Sunday, carbed it last night, and just sampled it.

Oh...my...god....the MALT!!! The difference between all grain and extract in this beer is like night and day. And I was even using the good stuff (Weyermann's Bavarian Wheat extract).

After just 7 days of fermentation, a day or so of warm conditioning and a day cold conditioning this beer is ready to drink, and will only get better. I am so glad I took the leap to all grain (thanks again, Ross and Anthony)! :beer:

My only regret with this batch, I over compensated the hops as I used a hop sack for the first time (used 30g @ 4.6% AA instead of 23g @ 4% AA as called for by the recipe). There is a hop presence that is inappropriate for a Weizen, but I quite like it.

Latest posts

Back