A Tool for Squeezing a hot BIAB Bag (with Pics)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bundy

Reaction score
Thought I would share this here also

I know some like to squeeze their "bags" and some of you don't but for those who do like to squeeze this solution might work for you.

After my first BIAB session one (of the many) things I learnt was squeezing a hot bag full of grain is not that easy with your hands. Although I had my bag suspended on a pulley and left to drip whilst the Urn reached boiling temp there was still a lot of moisture trapped in the grain. I had read many peoples ideas on "Bag Squeezing" from not bothering at all, to leaving hanging to drain by itself (didn't drain enough IMO), Using 2 Saucepan lids to squash the bag and protect your hands (Tried and didnt achieve much, too awkward for my liking) Squeezing with your hands - Did it and whilst got the most liquid out it was damn hot to work with. Wearing rubber gloves may have helped but still not ideal.

So thinking over the weekend on what I could use that would be simple and also cost me nothing :lol:

Come up with the idea that I needed some type of hinged clamping device, something with handles I could squeeze shut to clamp the bag tight and squeeze out the goodness still trapped inside the grain bag.

We have a Vergside rubbish collection this week in our neighbourhood so I took the Dog for a long walk looking for Inspiration!
I came across what I think is a perfect yet simple solution. - 2 x Tennis rackets

All I have done is tied the 2 old Tennis rackets together. The heads have some rope looped through to act as the fulcrum point or hinge. A didn't make it tight and left a bit if a gap so it can contain the bag, but being a simple knot it can easily be adjusted to any size grain bag. The handles just let me grip it easily and squeeze tight to extract all the goodness, possibly left behind.

Anyway here's a simple picture of the finished "product"

Simple but will do the trick, plus it met my other criteria on cost - $0

znku.jpg

As you can hopefully see a piece of grey rope is looped through twice at the top of the rackets. It's only one knot so just a single piece of rope looped around and joined once.
(you can then adjust knot/rope to size of bag being squeezed)

The pot in this photo playing the part of the bag. Simply squeeze handles together and presto - Job done

Anyway hope this helps others looking for a "bag squeezing" solution..

Bundy

man if that was in stainless steal you would have hundreds lined up to buy some bling, looks nice and simple,

What does it do that 2 saucepan lids(that were already in the kitchen cupboard) don't.

the handles act as levers, giving you more juice for your squeeze

This is actually a pretty good idea. I find saucepan lids a bit pf a pain in the ass. The lip of the lid catches wort and I'm worried about damaging the bag.

I currently use a high tech method of squeezing with washing up gloves on and a bucket of cold water on the side I use for dipping my gloved hands into when they get too hot.

yum beer said:
What does it do that 2 saucepan lids(that were already in the kitchen cupboard) don't.
Leverage - Its like cracking walnuts. Unless you have Guns like Arnie squeezing two bits of metal against a walnut is probably not going to get the job done.

Whereas put the same nut in a nut cracker and with a bit of leverage (and a lot less effort) it gets the job done easily.

(I wish I had guns like Arnie but alas I don't hence I need tools like this) :D

is that a birko urn?

Jokes, the racquets are an awesome idea mate. If only squash racquets were biggeer :(

I reckon it's a great idea.
I use a loop of rope around the bag that I keep twisting tighter.
a couple of cheap rackets from big w looks easy .
thanks for sharing
ken

Mind you, I don't really squeeze the bag. I merely don some heavy duty rubber gloves, and get to moving the grain about so that the trapped wort comes out. Simple and effective.

I like the rackets. It seems sorta stupid but it's actually pretty clever.

Plus the cat gut adds to the complexity of the finished product.

absolute gold. on the hunt for 'hard rubbish' racquets now....

Next time I watch hot laddy tennis players, the first thing I will think of is BIAB..

Ducatiboy stu said:
Next time I watch hot laddy tennis players, the first thing I will think of is BIAB..
You need to reassess your persuasion. When watching ladies tennis the first thought should be inventing xray glasses or selling sewing machine thread to Nike that dissolves in sunlight.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Aye, love watching those Laddies - especially the ones that store their spare balls in their pockets.

Latest posts

Back