A Different Stc1000 Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drill the corners and cut it out with a coping saw. Tidy up with a file or sharp blade.

i used the cardboard box mine came in for ages and gaff taped it up with the extension leads hanging out the back

but it was a bit lite and would move around on the top of the fridge

cardboard is easy to cut

A Dremel with a SS cutting wheel slices through like butter. I bought it when I was on my 3rd STC1000 and only wish I had of got it a lot sooner. Before this I used a hacksaw blade and drill bit.

Like Kev I did mine in a platic storage container.$3 from woolies, cuts easy with a stanley.

Like Kev I did mine in a platic storage container.$3 from woolies, cuts easy with a stanley.

It's lasted 6 years so far, but I have done my Setos PID and all my stc's in proper enclosures :D

I should convert this one over too.

QldKev

I've always used a hot stanley knife blade in one of the original metal stanley bodies to form cut-outs in Jiffy or lightweight plastic boxes.
Heat the blade over a gas flame. Some plastic fumes but neat accurate corners and easy clean-up.
Not as easy as a purpose made box but less grief than a jigsaw.
Harry

Use a lunch box, they are easy to cut with a knife.
+1 on the soft plastic lunchbox

STC_1000_in_action1.jpg

So I hooked up my 3rd STC1000 last night,

I'm getting better at it but how do others cut/trim the jiffy box to suit? i used a drill and jigsaw but it's a real PITA, the black plastic of the jiffy box seems to melt back together after the jigsaw blade's gone through... there must be a trick to cutting these things super easily and accurately? Out of 3 mounted in Jiffy boxes I don't have a single one where the STC faceplate is mounted perfectly square or flush.... and believe me i've tried all i can think of to cut these dammed jiffy boxes accurately...

okay i am a complete noob to all of this, but finally got my first STC1000 in the mail today on the suggestions of a few on here.... but, how the hell do you wire it up.... i was told there would be instructions on how to wire it, but no.....

can anyone suggest any handy websites that give a step by step process ??

Cheers

BJ

okay i am a complete noob to all of this, but finally got my first STC1000 in the mail today on the suggestions of a few on here.... but, how the hell do you wire it up.... i was told there would be instructions on how to wire it, but no.....

Cheers

BJ

Www.aussiehomebrewer.com.au

I considered putting mine in a takeaway container from the local thai place, but I just couldn't get the smell of the red curry out of it.

Did you try googling STC-1000 wiring diagram, or STC-1000 wiring step by step? Both retrieve excellent results as per normal. I found this one in particular quite helpful myself: http://urowiki.filecore.net/Thermostat, but you're going to want to be pretty handy with wire strippers, terminal blocks and understanding what colour our 240v active, neutral and ground wires are in Australia. Or find someone who is.

Don't put it in a lunchbox if children are ever going to be in your house. You might as well wire up a paddlepop.

wiring%20diagram%20for%20temp%20controller%20stc_1000.jpg

If you need instructions, you probably shouldn't be doing it youself.

If you need instructions, you probably shouldn't be doing it youself.

As a blanket comment, i find the repetitive posting of this type of comment completely useless.

How is someone supposed to learn anything if they ask about it, and someone says "don't even try it".

I understand wiring schematics can cause injury/death easily, and that it should be approached with extreme caution, but how do you know the person can't follow what is a really simple schematic.

Wiring a stc is not difficult at all. If the person has troubles following the schematic then that's a different thing of course, but atleast give them the benefit of the doubt whilst advising of all appropriate cautions.

REAL WORLD EXAMPLE:
I don't necessarily understand a lot about electrical systems and components, but i can easily knock up a safe stc controller, and recently have been asking a heap of questions about PID wiring schematics as i had no idea.
I got some really helpful responses and am now supremely confident in my abilities to wire it all up, complete with switches, led's, emergency stops and all the "bling".

Not having an isolated dig at you Glen, but at the comment in general as it appears a lot by several poster's.

Of course the advise usually given out to get it checked by a sparky is sound advise, or not attempt if you can't follow this simple diagram of the stc, but atleast give them the info so they can decide if they are able to attempt it - any hesitation and they shouldn't...

OT a bit more.... i haven't checked for ages if this type of question is airlocked/sticky'd, but if it isn't, it should be.
A central place with one correct wiring diagram to send people who ask about it would be awesome (safer) than having people trawl through how many hundreds of pages there would be on the internet which often have incorrect schematics.

For those who might be confused about the wiring diagram, this is what it translates to:

318514_10150423765495867_977838506_n.jpg

296077_10150423765575867_25352993_n.jpg

It really is a piece of piss

you have your power 'in" going to 5 and 7.

I'm 100% sure it is supposed to go to 6 and 8.

5 and 7 as far as i know, are supposed to power your outlets (as per Nick's diagram).

For those who might be confused about the wiring diagram, this is what it translates to:

318514_10150423765495867_977838506_n.jpg

296077_10150423765575867_25352993_n.jpg

It really is a piece of piss

NFW thats right... and some seriously oversized cable being used :blink:

*ED: what are those connectors rated at? they dont look like they are 10A... mate, delete that post.

Latest posts

Back