Ma' Keeeezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seifer

Reaction score
Morning Lads, I thought I'd chronicle the build of my keezer, mainly cause I had a few questions before I started so hopefully this may serve to answer a few of yours.
First off, im off average skills working with wood and my tools can only be described as barely sub-par. Ill try to cover marterials as I go, ive tried to keep this as a cheapish build but as these things go, costs just tend to blow out.
Ok kids to begin with I trawled Ebay for a suitable chest freezer. I found this one, a F&P H220 (215L), got it for a song at $140. Its got a light, which is kinda sexy but, unless I get a goal post font, its gonna have to go.
IMG_20131027_180716.jpg

Next job, I got out my trusty phillips head and took off the lid. The lid had a cable leading to the light so that had to be cut. If I can't get the light working then Ill rewire this to power the pump or fan or whatever I use to cool the font.
IMG_20131027_182033.jpg

Ok now thats done, I went down to Bunnings and got the nice man to cut me up my collar. Its 90x45 structural pine. Its not pretty but itll be covered up so I had no concern. If you have a mitre saw then cut those anlges for this, I got these cut cause I didnt trust my tools to cut square. Ol' mate bunnings did a pretty good job. Measure her up, get her cut, a bit of glue and screws and you have a tasty collar.
IMG_20131027_182108.jpg

Now I figured Id do a test run for size, my plan is to have the whole unit on wheels and have the C02 cylinder inside so its one portable unit. Unfortunately my current cylinder didnt fit so I emptied my welding fire extinguisher, took out the dip tube and this is off to get refilled. In this freezer I could fit four kegs, my cylinder and a 20L Jerry can to power the font. There is also plenty of room on top now for extra 6 packs etc. If I didnt have the Jerry in my 6.8 kg cylinder would fit in no problem.
IMG_20131027_182234.jpg

Next I measured and started cutting up my wood trim. For the lid I used 22x90 pine decking. I went with 22mm cause im planning on a recessed drip tray which is... 22mm deep. I used a jigsaw, only cause my circular saw couldnt get the whole way through cause its a POS. The jigsaw did the job just fine though. When you get down to it, pine is like butter.
I also then cut the skirting for the trim which I didnt get a photo of but that was using 67x11mm fancy pine. For these I mitred the corners, you can pick up a cheap mitre box and saw set for next to nothing.
Its handy having a ute with a work bench for a tray.
IMG_20131027_182342.jpg

Last job of the day is to stain your el' cheapo pine to convince others youve dropped more cash on the keezer than you actually have. For the stain I've gone with cedar but suit yourself. Ill drop another coat of stain then seal it all up with some marine grade varnish and start putting this together.
IMG_20131027_182412.jpg

Stay tuned for more awesome updates.

looking forward to seeing more, Seifer

Sorry guys, ive been a bit lazy, both with the build and the taking of photos.

Heres a quick update...

So I stained and put some varnish on the pine panels, mainly on the undersides in anticipation of sealing them from any major spillages.

It turns out I would have been better holding off on the staining however as things do not always fit in place as had been planned. As a result Ive had to sand down a few places to get smooth joins, meaning I also need to re-stain a few places. No biggie.

Ive also cut a few holes for my drip tray and font.
The sides have been painted silver in case there are any gaps in my dodgy mini-orb steel cuts.

Ive mainly used a clear silicon Selleys 3 in 1 I think to glue everything down but things like the paneling around the font and the lid edges have been screwed down.
Remember to pre-drill your holes and countersink to avoid splitting the wood.

To cover the screws Ive used Timber Mate putty, the beauty of this stuff is you can pre-mix your wood stain to get a pretty close match to the wood. It will darken to a similar colour once the varnish is applied.

20131117_200947.jpg
20131117_201013.jpg
20131117_201001.jpg

Ive still gotta figure a way to cover the hinges on the side...

Its all starting to come together now, I still need to properly attach the mini orb to the side and add a few other extras like a CPBF.
Over the weekend I hard wired in my fridge mate and set up a permanent loom for the pond pump, computer fan (still to be installed) and also sent a set of wires from a downlight transformer to power the illuminated font.

On top of this, I also mounted the font and did all the plumbing to suit. Ill need to get in there properly to re-organise all the hoses. Its functional at least and that got me through the weekend.

The pond pump itself is controlled with a 240v toggle switch which I mounted to the lid of a jay car jiffy box as a blanking plate. At Jaycar I also found a cool metal hose grommet for my forced carbonation gas line. The wires have all been neatened up since and are out of the way.

The perlicks pour like a dream and I wish I hadve gotten round to installing them earlier. Love the flow control.

20131124_184050.jpg
20131124_184105.jpg
20131124_184115.jpg
20131124_184135.jpg
20131124_184146.jpg

^^^^^^^^^ Kinda makes me wish I'd not settled on a fridge kegerator piccies like this ^^^^^^^^^^

Nice work.

Me to Yob. When my fridge packs it in I'll be replacing it with a keezer. Nice job on the build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yob said:
^^^^^^^^^ Kinda makes me wish I'd not settled on a fridge kegerator piccies like this ^^^^^^^^^^

Nice work.
+1 !!!

Latest posts

Back