My New Brewery Build (pics)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
browndog said:
WOW, what an awesome rig, the only thing I'd ask Gava is are you not concerned about all that splashing when recirculating with that flash looking sparge arm?

cheers

Browndog
I haven't noticed any issues with it now, It isn't a high flow outlet so it not forced out the holes it trickles out. my porter I made on it first time round is very very nice and hasn't had any issues yet..

Great rig Gava, you got any photo's of the HLT with the HERMS set-up in it?

Nice!! A good old welding glove while removing the hot tri clamp fittings and no more burnt hands. This is what I used prior to changing to BSM fittings which are equally as hygienic however you can use a spanner to remove.

I may give your guy a ring about the elements. I'm after an over the side 4400W low density. Do you whirlpool with the element in? or is your kettle return vertical?

husky said:
Nice!! A good old welding glove while removing the hot tri clamp fittings and no more burnt hands. This is what I used prior to changing to BSM fittings which are equally as hygienic however you can use a spanner to remove.

I may give your guy a ring about the elements. I'm after an over the side 4400W low density. Do you whirlpool with the element in? or is your kettle return vertical?
I whrilpool with the element in still, If i didn't all my awesome wort would fall out the hole :) I don't find any problem with this.
My kettle return is on the side of the BK pictured below
IMG_2147.JPG

Hey Gav

Where did you source the big heat sink from, is it from the elec brewery website, or did you find a local alternative?

I've found a mid size one at jaycar that will probably do the trick, but it's much higher than the one you've used and won't look quite as schmick.

Cheers

Baz

bazfletch3 said:
Hey Gav

Where did you source the big heat sink from, is it from the elec brewery website, or did you find a local alternative?

I've found a mid size one at jaycar that will probably do the trick, but it's much higher than the one you've used and won't look quite as schmick.

Cheers

Baz
got it from ebay..

link here http://www.ebay.com/itm/30CM-300x120x20mm-Aluminum-Heat-Sink-25-30pcs-3W-LED-Power-Transistor-/221415466742?pt=US_CPU_Fans_Heatsinks&hash=item338d63e6f6

Cheers
gav

Hi Gav, I haven't checked in on this thread for a while now. Good to see you've got your rig up and running now. It sure is a beauty. I do wonder, though, like browndog above, if you are not agitating the grain bed with how far the water is falling from that sparge arm. If so, then the wort into your BK might not be quite as clear as it could be. What do you think? But all in all, great looking setup and I share your sentiment on fly sparging!

Cheers,

mb-squared said:
Hi Gav, I haven't checked in on this thread for a while now. Good to see you've got your rig up and running now. It sure is a beauty. I do wonder, though, like browndog above, if you are not agitating the grain bed with how far the water is falling from that sparge arm. If so, then the wort into your BK might not be quite as clear as it could be. What do you think? But all in all, great looking setup and I share your sentiment on fly sparging!

Cheers,
I would have to experiment with lowering the mash return, since finishing it between sick kids, early early AM starts, pregnant wife sore and work hours I haven't had the chance to brew another beer on it yet!!
The first brews wort was clear. I did do a thick(ish) mash with about 5cm of water above my grain bed plenty of time to settle out. That was a single batch also it'll be interesting once I start doing my doubles again the bed will be a lot higher. trying to slip in another brew soon will see how I go next time.

Cheers
Gav

Wished I'd asked you that a few weeks ago Gava. I got two smaller heat sinks from Auber after fruitless searching on ebay.

Camo6 said:
Wished I'd asked you that a few weeks ago Gava. I got two smaller heat sinks from Auber after fruitless searching on ebay.
The key is to go to www.ebay.com (drop off the au) some don't show ALL what they sell in the Australian site. you will also get some people that wont ship to Australia which is also annoying but this mob did.

Cheers
Gavin.

Helpful tip Gavin. Cheers!

Holy crap ... those pots are SEXY!! Your build looks amazing ... I'm also working on my control panel following theelectricbrewery design, but cobbled my 70lt pots together from what looks like junk compared to yours! Cheers

I hate this thread, too much bling, giving me bad ideas.

If I ever win lotto Gava I'll be throwing a lot of money your way, those kettles are amazing.

Donske said:
I hate this thread, too much bling, giving me bad ideas.

If I ever win lotto Gava I'll be throwing a lot of money your way, those kettles are amazing.
We're really happy with them... fantastic bit of kit..

Haven't used it for awhile due to #3 bub due early next month so been busy with kids and wife, so I've lent my mash tun to a mate, it was sad taking it out of the brewery but he'll do good things with it I hope :)

Good and Bad thing about the bling is when it gets a little bit dirty you want to bling it back up... and if you don't it hurt every time you go past it and see a bit of old wort that may have split over...

I'm loving the kit though full pilot brewery, I must admit i was toying with selling this and getting a bigger version from our supplier :)

-Gav

Hey Gavin
Love the E-Brew rig. I have just purchased the exact same kettles , sorry I saved some cash dragging them in from the States. I am just starting my build and am still on the fence to go electric or gas. I just need to know if I have to go 3 phase to run a element big enough to boil in a 75 liter tank? Can I just get away with a 35amp outlet? I'm no sparky so setting that up I will leave to a proper trady.

Hey Gav one last question before I pass out for the night. Since your pretty keen with the electric ball valves have you thought of going fully auto with BCS-462?

brewtrekker said:
Hey Gavin
Love the E-Brew rig. I have just purchased the exact same kettles , sorry I saved some cash dragging them in from the States. I am just starting my build and am still on the fence to go electric or gas. I just need to know if I have to go 3 phase to run a element big enough to boil in a 75 liter tank? Can I just get away with a 35amp outlet? I'm no sparky so setting that up I will leave to a proper trady.
I've tested my 5500w elements in one my pots (not these ones), and have had a 70l pot almost full (didnt measure the volume) of water boiling in just under 30 minutes ... if that helps.

Latest posts

Back