2ndry? Ccing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gulf Brewery said:
Mark blower said:
Thanks Pedro,

If bulk priming is that easy why do people bother with the measuring and mess of putting suger into the bottles?
[post="53929"][/post]​

Because most people have "always done it that way". Just make sure that the priming sugar is mixed evenly through the beer in the bottling bucket without splashing the beer.

... or because I can't be bothered washing yet another container :)
Also when bulk priming you need to know the quantity of beer you actually will bottle, to avoid over-priming.
If you bottle from secondary, chances are you'll have some sediment you'll want to leave behind, so you'll have to keep that in mind for your calculations. If you're CCing, you don't know exactly how many liters you have, so in some cases like stout you may end up with more carbonation than the style requires.

But yeah, mainly, CBF sanitising before and cleaning afterwards another bucket, that takes about as long as putting priming sugar into the bottles anyway ... I put all the bottles on a table and put the sugar in one after the other, very quick :)

i think i have to agree with you there kit kat,the time it takes to fill up your bulk priming container and then mixing in the required sugar ,then having to thoroughly wash the container plus the extra risk of infection,i bottle prime and it takes me about 2 minutes to prime my 28 long necks,QUICKER,CLEANER,LESS RISK,BETTER CONTROL OVER THE CARBONATION. i certainly dont think bulk priming is all its cracked up to be,but every one to their qwn i guess
cheers
fergi

A lot of people talk down bulk priming due to a one-off bad experience when doing it. It's easy to add sugar by the teaspoonfull in a bottle, but to get the priming solution evenly disbursed throughout the fermented wort is another thing...

The best way I've found to get the priming solution evenly mixed into the wort without introducing oxygen is to get a good length of racking hose and make sure that it curls around the bottom of the fermenter that will receive the wort. When you syphon the wort into the bottling fermenter, the flow of beer will create its own natural whirlpool effect and given that the priming solution is already in the fermenter before you start the syphon, the whirlpool should ensure that the priming solution is evenly mixed into the beer, before you bottle.

It worked for me! Oh, and one good point about bulk priming that is often overlooked is that once you've bulk primed the brew, you can bottle the brew in any sized vessel that holds an airtight seal and not worry about how much primer to add...

Cheers,
TL

And you can prime with wheat malt extract, excellent for head retention.

JM

Make sure you dissolve the dextrose in about 300ml of hot water first.
Add it to the container you will rack into. Drop the beer and (some then give it a VERY gentle stir) and bottle it immediately.

Regards
Dave

Alian,

No need to add the yeast. There will still be sufficient in the beer to prime. I have bottled after 6 months of C/C without issue. Priming took a bit longer is all.

Dave

Back