2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Nice thread about growing hops, I've found it to be a very informative thread of posts from fellas around Australia.
Been a green thumb and new to brews, I wish to grow hops, though sourcing the rhizomes in Brisbane I'm not aware of where to start. If someone in Brisbane or sells interstate quality rhizomes, please let me know and start a discussion to procure.

Happy growing and brewing.

Cheers
Mick

I've noticed that with one of my bines which I'd broken the tip off, by accident whilst trying to train it horizontally after it had reached the top of the trellis, that it produced heaps more laterals which in turn gave more flowers than the others that weren't broken.
Just an observation though not sure whether to try this next season to see if it helps with yield.
Anyone else notice this with theirs?

Yep. I have some under my eves that in the wind they grinded off the tips. Broken the odd few off and possums whatever. They do grow more but there may be a little set back in time when the plant seems to have to work out what's happened then decide to grow more in other directions. (trying to think like a plant here)

As for tipping to be more compact garden then yeah. I think its a valid option because if a bine grows further than my grow space I cut off the tip rather it invade my neighbours yard. It will grow lateral out of no choice.

First year Cluster, just wondering if I should harvest the flowers all at once or pick them as they become ready?

1485851216276.jpg

1485851229131.jpg

Just pick the ones that are ready mate

rhino86 said:
Hi,

Nice thread about growing hops, I've found it to be a very informative thread of posts from fellas around Australia.
Been a green thumb and new to brews, I wish to grow hops, though sourcing the rhizomes in Brisbane I'm not aware of where to start. If someone in Brisbane or sells interstate quality rhizomes, please let me know and start a discussion to procure.

Happy growing and brewing.

Cheers
Mick
You shouldn't have a problem getting some rhizomes in winter rhino. Just decide which variety you want and keep an eye out.

Glad they are going well. They must be loving the warmer weather up there.

Generally they feel dry and papery rather than soft and moist, they make a scrunching/crinkling like sound when you crush them, lots of yellow lupulin under the bracts, and the centre stem is easily snapped. They possibly look a bit browned on the tips of the bracts as well.

My Cascade is going well, and has plenty more burrs on it now especially after I've been dosing it with Maxibloom twice a week. The first photo is the Cascade (closest) and the Hallertau beside/behind it, and the second sideways one is a group of burrs on the Cascade. There are quite a number of these groups all over it at the moment, so there will be another good harvest soon by the looks.

IMG_1125.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG

Growth has surged in the past 2 weeks. We'll be picking Cluster in the next week or so. Chinook is just starting to flower, and Victoria and Cascade are well into burr stage.

cluster.jpg

chinook1.jpg

chinook2.jpg

chinook_cascade.jpg

chinook_cascade2.jpg

overview1.jpg

overview2.jpg

overview3.jpg

Belgrave brewer, your plantation looks very nice, lots of hard work no doubt went into the results.

Rocker1986 said:
Generally they feel dry and papery rather than soft and moist, they make a scrunching/crinkling like sound when you crush them, lots of yellow lupulin under the bracts, and the centre stem is easily snapped. They possibly look a bit browned on the tips of the bracts as well.

My Cascade is going well, and has plenty more burrs on it now especially after I've been dosing it with Maxibloom twice a week. The first photo is the Cascade (closest) and the Hallertau beside/behind it, and the second sideways one is a group of burrs on the Cascade. There are quite a number of these groups all over it at the moment, so there will be another good harvest soon by the looks.
Looks like you've got a great crop there. Where do you source the Maxibloom? Did you buy it locally in Brisbane?

fdsaasdf said:
Looks like you've got a great crop there. Where do you source the Maxibloom? Did you buy it locally in Brisbane?
Cheers mate, it surprised me actually being a first year plant. I've already picked what ended up at 75-80g once dried, with plenty more to come. I bought the Maxibloom off eBay last growing season, if there is anywhere in Brisbane that stocks it I don't know where. That reminds me, I need to order more :lol:

rhino86 said:
Belgrave brewer, your plantation looks very nice, lots of hard work no doubt went into the results.
Still a long way to go until harvest, then the real hard work begins. It's a lot of work during some stages in the season.

Got a question about hop spacing/distance between varieties, I've read that 2-3 metres minimum is required to avoid the roots overlapping and bine confusion resulting.
Is 2-3 metres enough? Or have any of you had roots travel further than this? Does it depend at all on particular Variety or are they all prone to spread in the same manner?
Cheers,

P.S
Here's a pic of a first year Columbus climbing the natural trellis, (Rhizome courtesy of Yob) it was the last of my hops to emerge this season but once it got going it flew to the top of the string and into the tree.
She's just started popping burrs
IMG_5052.JPG

Rocker1986 said:
Cheers mate, it surprised me actually being a first year plant. I've already picked what ended up at 75-80g once dried, with plenty more to come. I bought the Maxibloom off eBay last growing season, if there is anywhere in Brisbane that stocks it I don't know where. That reminds me, I need to order more :lol:
Thanks. I haven't been able to find it so it looks like I'm off to eBay too.

Benn said:
Got a question about hop spacing/distance between varieties, I've read that 2-3 metres minimum is required to avoid the roots overlapping and bine confusion resulting.
Is 2-3 metres enough? Or have any of you had roots travel further than this? Does it depend at all on particular Variety or are they all prone to spread in the same manner?
Cheers,

P.S
Here's a pic of a first year Columbus climbing the natural trellis, (Rhizome courtesy of Yob) it was the last of my hops to emerge this season but once it got going it flew to the top of the string and into the tree.
attachicon.gif
IMG_5052.JPG
That's going to be fun harvesting that one Ben.

Benn said:
P.S
attachicon.gif
IMG_5052.JPG
At least you can just climb the tree to harvest them instead of getting the ladder out or whatever :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back