2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mixed up a combo of
guestimations:
70% Potting mix
27% Home brew compost with lots of worms.
3% (a mix of 45%Sheep shit mix. 45% Chook shit mix and 10% Dynamic Lifter pellets)

I'm going for that dynamic beer of course.

How about seasol once it's growing?

I've had good luck with Seasol. Apparently it's not a fertilizer, but rather a soil conditioner, so keep that in mind. You'll need poo!

Yob, your piccie a few posts earlier reminded me - you need to cut all the gall-wasps out of your citrus trees.

On the bright side, I've got two Fuggles shoots showing on the Nth. side of their pot...in Kinglake...in August!!!!

Transplanted Cascades I started in pots last year in to new garden bed. Hope to get some hops from them this year. Will also be planting a columbus rhizome yob kindly gave me.

IMG_20160815_171425_01.jpg

IMG_20160815_171430_01.jpg

Here's my first attempt, humble beginnings.
These were the biggest pots I could find at Bunnings filled with potting mix.
How long before I should expect to see some shoots.
Also is it easy to identify the different species, I have Mt hood and chinook i believe

image.jpg

I used those pots for a Vic and a Chinnok last year and they did the job OK but I'm glad to have transplanted them into the ground this season as the little Rhizome cuttings I got from Belgrave Brewer had completely filled the pot and were growing out through the drain holes by seasons end. My lack of experience means I can't accurately answer your other questions but I will suggest spreading a couple of inches of Sugar Cane mulch over the potting mix.
Cheers,

doctr-dan said:
Here's my first attempt, humble beginnings.
These were the biggest pots I could find at Bunnings filled with potting mix.
How long before I should expect to see some shoots.
Also is it easy to identify the different species, I have Mt hood and chinook i believe
dan they are both 3 point leaves but the cones are slightly different.
the mt hood should of been the bigger of the two that i sent.
depending on the weather where you are you may see them as early as a couple of weeks.

I used those pots last year as well for a couple of first year rhizomes. They worked well, but I transplanted one of them into a much larger garden bed this year. The other one I've left in its pot so it'll be interesting to compare the behaviour of the two plants. My other big garden bed has a first year Cascade rhizome in it, which has just begun sprouting shoots in the last few days.

citizensnips said:
Chook poo is high in nitrogen which is good for fast growing greens i.e. hops but nonetheless is hot so put it in the bottom half of your pot/hole to give it time to cool off and so young roots don't get burnt.

Cheers
What's the consequences of roots getting burnt?

I had to dig some of the holes and prepare mounds on the same day I planted rhizomes, so some of my mounds have a handful of poo pellets maybe 5 inches from the rhizome, mixed in with layers of mulch and dirt.

Should I take drastic action? Or can I just leave it? (considering I don't really expect much of a crop this season - but hoping for a decent yield the following season).

You can leave it be, best additive is the Seasol at the start of the season really does work in getting plants established, probably the best thing on the market. And do check your pH, it makes a difference.

Seasol is not a fertiliser. The NPK is 0.1/0.01/1.8%. That's almost homeopathic!

If you want to actually boost growth then things like Dynamic Lifter and Blood and bone are great for actually getting nitrogen into your plants. These are both slow release products. A product sold by Seasol called powerfeed is good for repeat applications. The NPK of powerfeed is 12/1.4/7%.

Spot on the above post, not a fertiliser, though I didn't know anyone had claimed it to be, beginning of the growing season really gets the plants established no matter what it is one is growing, best fertiliser NPK 10-5-5 when plants kick off.

I buried a handful of Bounce Back about 10cm below each rhizome last year. Could be the reason my plants did so well first year. Slow release so this year I've sprinkled on top of the soil with my manure additions and will add another round of it later. I swear by it. Seamungus was recommended to me as well, so I'll try and use it in place of or alternate with my Seasol additions. Blood and bone is most excellent.
http://www.neutrog.com.au/100-organic-range/

Bit OT but just today went around all my citrus and pome fruit trees with Maxicrop Seaweed just to let them know spring is around the corner, also sprayed my stone fruit trees with Lime Sulfur.Will get around to my hop plants later this week

i found that power feed and amgrow are the best ones to really bulk the plants out. well that and pot ash as they start flowering.

Brewed compost tea. It can be incredible for all garden if you do it thoughtfully. Look into it if you haven't already. Simple stuff.
You need : a bucket. I use a 200lt tub. Water and compost. Sugar like Mollasis to peak up the microbial levels.
A way to strain it (or not)
A descent power aerator really helps.
Compost, with lots of worm in it is best. Strain them to get the Worm tea juice and throw the solids back into the compost pile worm unhurt haha. Worm tea if you have that on tap as well (I do) all the same thing really.

Throw some compost in a bucket and fill it with rain water (not tap water). Add a tad of mollassis and aerate.
Its good to use from the start or 24 hours + the organic microbial activity peak. You get a big white head of froth.
You can broaden it all by adding a tad of seaweed extract (eg. Seasol) and fish emulsions (eg. Charlie Carp) as well. It all seems to act like a catalyst for the brew like yeast etc.
Its basically making a little go a long way on the Organic superiority levels. Dilute (or not) when using it.
Use it as foliar spray etc. make it a habit and feed it to your plants instead of water.
$0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back