2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long do they take to properly die off back to the roots? I've got some larger homes for my plants, not that I'm in any rush to transfer them as spring is obviously a while away but just curious as to how long they take to die off. Some of the bines have yellowed or completely browned off but the majority of the plants are still green.

I heard you get better performance next year if you dont cut them early. Ill wait til mine become a total eyesore, then chop em back =)

The reason they are cut back when they are finished is to prevent any fungal or other disease getting into the plant during the colder damp months, a bit like stone fruit as they finish fruiting cut em back for the same reason.

Excellent, well that might be a job for the weekend then. Or maybe next weekend since I have four days off. :D

Late pickings of an Aquaponic Cascade cutting planted 4-5 months ago from an unintended breakage.
I planted it in the gravel.

Its stem now I pulled back some gravel. Note the 20 cent coin for size reference.

This is different as in a progressive harvest of hops from this crazy lateral mess. Its much more lateral growth. Some hops are still new but its gonna get hit with the fall now.
For a cutting only 4 and something months old to give a yield at all is astonishing in my opinion if I have to say so myself. Everything to 7 inches of the fence got eaten as well. Possums, Parrots etc.
I will get 400g wet hops.

This I quote as the easiest lazy way to propagate anything including hops. (After you,ve got an established Aquaponic eco system ;) )

Just stick in a cutting. That's it. I have this pvc tube in most of the grow beds.

Wort said:
That awesome Dan! Was it hard to set that system up?
Not if you really want it. Its like the addiction and fascination of brewing too. Many brewing set ups I see here seem harder work and more complicated to me. Then an established Aquaponic system is mostly automatic and very little maintenance.

wide eyed and legless said:
And don't forget to feed the fish. :)
Haha!. That's all it is sometimes and picking fresh organic food from your garden every day. Hard job but someone gotta do it.

I'll have to get around to making an updated youtube from some of the 70 gig of photo's and vids stored on hard drive of this amzing stuff.
Around 80 fish. Silver Pearch and Tandanus Catfish gradually approaching plate size now. B)

mofox1 said:
Hydroponics you say... hmmm. :D
That's Aquaponics mofox, he feeds his plants fish shit, not to be confused with Hydroponics and Aeroponics, he ends up eating the fish, his vegies and using the hops
Aquaponics-System.jpg

Would love a setup like that, problem is the f*ckin cane toads will eat the fish up here :blink:

I have a question. I'm digging up my EKG which made its way out of the pot and into the vege garden. I'm digging up the dirt to remove most of the roots so I can plant some cascade in there. Question is, if I miss a few roots here and there, will they sprout from the roots and then id have two varieties in there? Or can they only sprout from the nodes? I'd hate to miss a root.

wide eyed and legless said:
That's Aquaponics mofox, he feeds his plants fish shit, not to be confused with Hydroponics and Aeroponics, he ends up eating the fish, his vegies and using the hops
Aquaponics-System.jpg
Duly noted, now I know my 'ponics.

Can anyone shed some light on these little bastards which are all through my hop garden? I think they are lawn beetles or something and they seem to congregate around the roots of the plants. Not sure whether to put something on them to kill them or leave them be. And if I pour something in the soil to kill them will it kill my worms as well? Thanks. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1461123959.284932.jpg

They are Japanese beetle larvae, they eat the roots of the grass in the lawn, that's a hefty bunch of them were they all together?
If so you have a problem, better look up on how to control them, aside from letting a mole loose on your lawn.

Back