2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys this is my first year of growing a big bine and therefore I'm new and in the dark about what I'm doing, what is this bine coming off the other one in the first attached photo? Is that what people are referring to as a lateral bine? What do I do with it? Leave it alone? Give it a string? Also my hallertau is getting munched hard (second pic)! Green caterpillars, found two so far and killed them with hatred in my eyes. Best treatment?

1447220533344.jpg

1447220544417.jpg

So my goldings has produced what can only be described as a Franken-bine. What started as one bine has now split into four separate bines. While each is on the thin side, all four look quite healthy. I'm not concerned, but curious to know whether others have experienced this before.

Chinook was dug up again by the stupid birds and I'm really not hopeful of anything given the rhizome spent a good 24 hours out of the soil before I discovered the carnage. I've now put netting over each hop plant which seems to be doing the trick on keeping the pesky birds away.

So my first 2 first years are doing really well. But the second 2 have done nothing for ages because of an attack of some caterpillars. They are starting to show some new growth (light green up top) now after some organic spray that doesn't kill the bugs but stops them from eating the plants.

Lots of shoots at the bottom of the 2 big ones, think ill just string the long ones and leave the rest, if i have enough room that is. Not sure where ill send them once they hit the roof......

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1447325957.406858.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1447325975.069866.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1447325993.383105.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1447326010.328467.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1447326035.075783.jpg

DrSmurto said:
Think 'Day of the Triffids'. Start building your bunker now.

Too much. The last time i kept a record was the 2014 crop which was a tad over 2kg dry. This season I let fellow homebrewers take all they could pick.

Here are the hops as of today.

Victoria - already at the top of the 3m trellis.

Chinook, always gives Victoria a head start but will overtake it before beginning world domination.

Chinook from the reverse angle. I have rhizomes planted on both sides of the fence.

No pruning, tipping, cutting back of bines. No fertilising during the growing season, although they do get covered in 10-15cm of horse manure in winter. They do what they want and reward my lack of care with more hops than i can use. I do water them though, they are on the vegie patch irrigation system so as often as i water the tomatoes, the hops get a drink. The first plant went in 8 years ago so well established now.
Love your chicken in the photo there. I think i learnt from my mistake this year to keep the girls away from my hops as they are shooting. Quite a few sprouts lost their heads early on!
BTW how good are chickens at eating spent grain!

Update date on my late rising Hersbrucker.
Must say very happy for the second year in a row☺ first pic from the 2/11/15 and second pic from today.

1447487186896.jpg

1447487201271.jpg

ADVICE PLEASE!
I'm moving house in a few weeks and i really don't want to leave my babies behind as i only got them this season and I'm a little fond of them now.
Any tips on how i could transplant them? Cut them down to a few leaves and just move and hope for the best?
Cheers.

BottloBill said:
Update date on my late rising Hersbrucker.
Must say very happy for the second year in a row☺ first pic from the 2/11/15 and second pic from today.
WOW how are your bines so thick? About 4 of mine are like that and the rest are at least half that thick. Should I be worried about the thinner ones or will they thicken as they develop (bearing in mind some are close to 6 foot long now)

I'll post some photos tonight

jburke said:
ADVICE PLEASE!
I'm moving house in a few weeks and i really don't want to leave my babies behind as i only got them this season and I'm a little fond of them now.
Any tips on how i could transplant them? Cut them down to a few leaves and just move and hope for the best?
Cheers.
i am going to be moving in 6 weeks time also.... im hoping i can just coil up each bine on top of its pot and transport like that then unravel when they're unloaded....

Matplat said:
i am going to be moving in 6 weeks time also.... im hoping i can just coil up each bine on top of its pot and transport like that then unravel when they're unloaded....
I just moved recently and that's pretty much what I did. Took the pole out and coiled up each bine. Mine are in pots too. They're going pretty well now, although i think one tip got a bit damaged and withered off. The others have grown plenty though.

I'd think that if they're in the ground they might take a bit of a knock, but I'd say get big pots and try to get as much of the root ball as possible in one go and see how they fare. I'd pick a cooler day if you can and then keep them out of the direct heat for a few weeks until they recover.

Bruer said:
I just moved recently and that's pretty much what I did. Took the pole out and coiled up each bine. Mine are in pots too. They're going pretty well now, although i think one tip got a bit damaged and withered off. The others have grown plenty though.

I'd think that if they're in the ground they might take a bit of a knock, but I'd say get big pots and try to get as much of the root ball as possible in one go and see how they fare. I'd pick a cooler day if you can and then keep them out of the direct heat for a few weeks until they recover.
Unfortunately mine are in the ground as i didn't know we were going to be moving when i got them. Hopefully they go alright with a move. Do you think i should try transplant them into pots now or just do it when i move, then i may as well leave them in pots for the season yeah?

I'm also looking at moving. Not sure what to do as mine are in the ground too.

I took one cutting the other week, cutting off the tip of the bine along with 2 sets of leaves. I put it in a jar of water and within a week it had sprouted new roots. I should be able to plant it in a small pot. I was considering doing this to several bines.

Then I could still try to dig up the rhizome, and it might survive a transplant. If not then I'll have the little baby cuttings to start again with.

jburke said:
Unfortunately mine are in the ground as i didn't know we were going to be moving when i got them. Hopefully they go alright with a move. Do you think i should try transplant them into pots now or just do it when i move, then i may as well leave them in pots for the season yeah?

Drew said:

I took one cutting the other week, cutting off the tip of the bine along with 2 sets of leaves. I put it in a jar of water and within a week it had sprouted new roots. I should be able to plant it in a small pot. I was considering doing this to several bines.

Then I could still try to dig up the rhizome, and it might survive a transplant. If not then I'll have the little baby cuttings to start again with.
How long have they been in the ground? Earlier this year I dug up one that had been in the ground for 4-5 years and the main tap root was about a metre long, maybe a bit longer. Something to keep in mind.

Drew said:

Now that's an idea. Didn't know they were that easy to propagate from cuttings.

Kumamoto_Ken said:
How long have they been in the ground? Earlier this year I dug up one that had been in the ground for 4-5 years and the main tap root was about a metre long, maybe a bit longer. Something to keep in mind.
They have only been in the ground since late winter but they have grown a heap already. I know this year week be a write off but hopefully i can just keep them alive atleast

The idea of putting them into pots now sounds like a good idea. I've moved very mature ones I started in pots and just did the wrap the bines around thing. But no experience moving from ground to ground.

Mardoo said:
The idea of putting them into pots now sounds like a good idea. I've moved very mature ones I started in pots and just did the wrap the bines around thing. But no experience moving from ground to ground.
Some of mine are already 3-4m high though and pretty well wrapped around the string.
So you reckon move them into pots soon and leave them there until next season?

Back