2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1443238403.165650.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1443238499.179712.jpg

2nd year victoria and 1st year POR starting to take off. Finally a bit of warm weather here in North East Victoria. . Let's hope it continues

Cheers to Crysler Strat for the POR Zomes[emoji106]

I've got 2nd year cascade and chinook starting to take off in my garden bed, but would prefer to move them to a different position in the garden. Is it too late to move them if they've already started shooting up (about 2cm)

POR Garden

1st Years trying to get to the sky

1st years 1.jpg

2nd year - Trying the multiple attack

2nd year 1.jpg

Relocated 4 year old

4th year.jpg

Finally got around to moving mine today, into a 900 x 900 raised garden arrangement. They should love it after the little pot they were stuck in. I hope it's not too late as they were just about to poke through the mulch when I turned it over. Time will tell. 2nd year cascade got all of about 45gram dry last year so I'm keen for a bigger return this year.

So, just potted the hops I got from Hippy. Left to right two cascades and two POR. I'm a bit late but the bines are already starting to shoot. We'll have to wait and see how they go.

Should I mulch early or wait until the bines are a bit bigger? I'm planning on setting up a trellis to train them up soon. I'm moving in three weeks, so anything but pots wasn't an option.

1443346266042.jpg

Are Goldings typically late to shoot?
I've got VIC & Chinook that are coming along but nothing from my Goldings. Seeing all the action that's going on in this thread has me concerned :)

Mardoo said:
How's yours coming BB?
We have had a lot of rain on and off in Newcastle, so not much has changed with most of mine in height.
I just took these pics this morning before leaving for work, the last pic is the POR which has began its push fast after sitting low with a million shoots per square metre.

1443389057324.jpg

1443389075191.jpg

1443389090679.jpg

1443389108129.jpg

1443389121259.jpg

1443389134649.jpg

Bridges said:
Finally got around to moving mine today, into a 900 x 900 raised garden arrangement. They should love it after the little pot they were stuck in. I hope it's not too late as they were just about to poke through the mulch when I turned it over. Time will tell. 2nd year cascade got all of about 45gram dry last year so I'm keen for a bigger return this year.
never mind man, you still got four times as much as i did!

Bruer said:
Should I mulch early or wait until the bines are a bit bigger?.
The shoots wont have any problem shooting through your mulch, depending on what you use. I used sugarcane mulch and I've got stacks of shoots above ground.

I've noticed a few un-mulched beds/pots and would definitely recommend adding some to lower water usage.

My plants are currently with leaves but haven't begun their proper growth spurts yet which is good since I haven't found the time to renew the trellises.

sp0rk said:
Has anyone in the upper hunter had any luck with growing hops?
I imagine the 40C+ days wouldn't be great but if I can hook up some kind of constant drip feed irrigation to stop their thirst it shouldn't be too bad
I have a feeling I've killed the left over hallertauer I brought over from Coffs, so I might just get the supports set up and the garden bed well mulched and weed free this year ready for next year's crop
Might try a something a little more suited to our climate too, some Cascade, Chinook or PoR might go better than a Euro hop

Dont give up on them yet, of the three I got from you, one has had a couple of leaves for about two or three weeks, another a couple of tiny ones, and the third nothing yet. They will go though.

Mr B said:
Dont give up on them yet, of the three I got from you, one has had a couple of leaves for about two or three weeks, another a couple of tiny ones, and the third nothing yet. They will go though.
I may have accidentally gotten the 2 rhizomes I brought over VERY wet for a week or 2 (left them in a bag with some dirt and forgot about them) so I'm not that hopeful for them, but we'll see
I'm still working in Coffs, so I'll get wifey to check them some time this week and give me the good/bad news

sp0rk said:
I may have accidentally gotten the 2 rhizomes I brought over VERY wet for a week or 2 (left them in a bag with some dirt and forgot about them) so I'm not that hopeful for them, but we'll see
I'm still working in Coffs, so I'll get wifey to check them some time this week and give me the good/bad news
They will probably grow once planted. Last year I had some rhizomes stored in bar fridge that had some frosting/defrosting issues. The container I had them in filled with water and submerged them for some time. Planted them. Had 100% success rate.

Latest posts

Back