2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What sort of bugs are they, I hope it's not spider mite

Product called neem oil works pretty good , it's not an instant bug killer it's more a mutagen that makes the "baby" bugs unable to mature to a reproductive stage

Spohaw said:
What sort of bugs are they, I hope it's not spider mite
Honestly dunno what sorts they are, there are a few of various sizes, but there was a lot of them

Spohaw said:
Product called neem oil works pretty good , it's not an instant bug killer it's more a mutagen that makes the "baby" bugs unable to mature to a reproductive stage
The stuff I'm using is an instant killer, but like Neem Oil it stays on the plant and offs them if they go for a snack. I'll check and see if I can pick any up though, because I've heard that some insects attract more of their kind when they die.

Spohaw said:
Can you take a picture of them mate ?

Two pronged attack sounds smart
I sprayed the insecticide yesterday, and they weren't around today, but if they come back (hope not) I'll snap a picture and get back to you.

Hope I can deal with them before any buds develop - Would suck to have extra protein in my beers.

Main problem would be if they get on your flowers , probably wouldn't go hard with insecticide this early neem oil should be fine though

The Chinese like high protein beers so it can't be that bad haha

Good luck with it , looking forward to some pics ...... I hate bugs on plants !

Be glad to help ( if I can )

I am new to the growing of hops.

How much room do they take up?

I have a couple or rhizomes in a pot that are quite small, and am considering putting them in a herb bed I have.

Any estimates on the root area of say 1-3 year rhizomes?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442025319.558447.jpg

POR

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442025345.051349.jpg

Flinders

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442025365.760393.jpg

Weurtemberger (I was doing some reading about this and I think it's probably a variation of Weurtemberger that leans more toward Tettnang. Anybody know anything about this hop?)

Mr B said:

I have a couple or rhizomes in a pot that are quite small, and am considering putting them in a herb bed I have.

This is a 1 year rhizome that i dug up recently. Its hard to tell the size as there's no reference but it took up most of the space in a 30lt pot. Started out as a 12cm cutting :)

1442032135815.jpg

guys I have a problem, 2 half wine barrels one with cascade the other has hallertau.

now being the smart person I am I thought I would remember which is what. Any idea on how I can tell them apart? One of them is about 2inches of growth the other is just starting to sprout I would assume its the cascade growing faster as it did last season before I moved them to the wine barrels.

Mr B said:

Without digging up too much I have 2nd season Cascade in wicking beds (cut down IBC tanks 1200 X 1000) Planting other veggies in their I keep finding hop roots easily 1 meter distance from the rhizome. Basically the bigger grow space the further they go.

wen tout back to find a chook had half dug up my Cascade zome and shredded about half a dozen shoots..

not effing happy Jan

Hmm thanks lads, not for the herb garden then. Looks like the kids sand pit is going........

(They have outgrown it)

Mr B said:
Hmm thanks lads, not for the herb garden then. Looks like the kids sand pit is going........

(They have outgrown it)
Even if they haven't... [emoji12]

eresh666 said:
guys I have a problem, 2 half wine barrels one with cascade the other has hallertau.

now being the smart person I am I thought I would remember which is what. Any idea on how I can tell them apart? One of them is about 2inches of growth the other is just starting to sprout I would assume its the cascade growing faster as it did last season before I moved them to the wine barrels.
Best chance would be to assess the two varieties for things like cone size, season maturing time.

http://beerlegends.com/cascade-us-hops

http://beerlegends.com/hallertau-aroma-hops

Failing that you.Might just have wait until harvest and do a.couple.of brews and compare traits.

Or, take them down to a local park and plant them , then start fresh and label the pots.

Edit. Manual corrected auto correct

eresh666 said:

Not the first time this has happened mate. I sent four different varieties of rhizomes to someone last season. Long story short they all got mixed up at the other end? Not sure how to figure out which is which? Good luck.

Aroma will give them away for sure. You may have to wait until harvest. I haven't found it at all east to work out which is which.

With the last week of sunshine in Hobart, my hops have kicked off finally!

Cascade is thumping along
IMG_2928.JPG

Columbus starting to get some leaves
IMG_2927.JPG

Any thoughts on cutting a few back? I'm thinking cut them all back and let it reshoot. Last year (the plants first year) they seemed to respond okay to some tough love.

Second year plants starting to show some growth- the ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442124099.369684.jpgPOR definitely has started its spurt- Victoria Cascade and the Mega Chinook (thanks again Hoppy2b!) are also starting to get moving, just not like the POR

Latest posts

Back