2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know what these little fuckers are? There was a few hundred all around the rhizome of my cascade.

1442385123799.jpg

1442385143264.jpg

Don't know man but if they were around your rhizome you can guarantee it's been living off your zome and causing it grief

Pretty hard to see too

Are there any mature bugs floating around the area ?

Were they on the top of the ground or deeper around the rhizome ?

Are you using homemade compost in your mix .... Could just be maggots haha

osprey brewday said:
There are possums do they eat the cones ect
I've had possums living in my yard at three houses and only at one have they bothered the hops. Tip I got, which was totally golden, is that they hate the smell of blood and bone meal and Dynamic Lifter. Worked a treat. They only bothered the base and top of my bines so a spray of DL tea took care of the top and B&B and DL scattered around the base took care of that.

Hey guys, my first time growing this year. I have 4 hops going and are all going quite well so far, nice and green, growth noticeable every day. Getting at least 2 shoots from each pot so far and loving it!! 2 x Cascade, 1 x Chinook and 1 x EKG.

One of my shoots about 200mm tall (Chinook Pictured) has lost its tip and I wanted to know if that can cause any growing issues or if it will keep growing as the the others will?

image.jpg

Mardoo said:
I've had possums living in my yard at three houses and only at one have they bothered the hops. Tip I got, which was totally golden, is that they hate the smell of blood and bone meal and Dynamic Lifter. Worked a treat. They only bothered the base and top of my bines so a spray of DL tea took care of the top and B&B and DL scattered around the base took care of that.
I have a problem with ring neck parrots pinching the tips out of the bines as they grow

I'll be doing this to see if it helps

I was going to steep a heap of dried birds eye chillis and spray that on them to deter them so I might do both in one spray

Hope it works

Spohaw said:
Were they on the top of the ground or deeper around the rhizome ?

Are you using homemade compost in your mix .... Could just be maggots haha
they were under the soil just under the top soil as far as I know just around the main section, however I didn't dig the whole thing up yet. I've googled a bit and everything points to root maggots,
I don't use homemade compost although I did recently add some fertiliser pellets SWMBO had lying around.

They were literally bunched up against and around the rhizome so I know they are feeding on them. I drowned the pot yesterday for about and hour and a half and that seemed to kill quite a few of them, although today they are not very active but still alive. I'm going for a second drowning attempt and plan to his a nursery tomorrow with a hand full of dead little fuckers for clarification.

Just thought someone on here might have had them before.

Do they have black heads ? Is your soil been pretty wet ?

Have you seen any mature bugs or flies in the area of you hop ?

They look like larvae .... Juvenile bugs sort of thing

Mature bugs would be easier to identifying

diatomaceous earth seems to be used for most flies/gnats and their larvae

Might be worth getting some

Spohaw said:
Do they have black heads ? Is your soil been pretty wet ?

Have you seen any mature bugs or flies in the area of you hop ?

They look like larvae .... Juvenile bugs sort of thing

Mature bugs would be easier to identify
Yep, little black heads.

The more I read the more I think they're root maggots..

Root maggots will turn into fly looking things

Might be early days still .... Might not be many to see yet

Just washed away the top 10cm of soil from the pot and it appears they aren't that deep, I'll replace the soil and see how I go

Pet shops sell diatomaceous earth as a kitty litter product called 'Cleansorb'. I've always got some on hand mostly to add to potting mixes but I've heard good things about using it against soft bodied insects. The dust particles are very sharp which is how it effectively cuts, irritates and dehydrates insects so avoid breathing it in.

LiquidGold said:
Pet shops sell diatomaceous earth as a kitty litter product called 'Cleansorb'. I've always got some on hand mostly to add to potting mixes but I've heard good things about using it against soft bodied insects. The dust particles are very sharp which is how it effectively cuts, irritates and dehydrates insects so avoid breathing it in.
Larvae have soft bodies

Back