2015 Vic Christmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have we heard from Tahoose, Bumma and poggor? Actually I'll PM them as a reminder. We may have more than two empty spots i suspect.

EDIT: PM sent

I'm here, swap beer is fermenting away nicely just not bottled yet( unfortunately).

Have moved house and built a man cave / brewery in the last month so it's been busy.

OK, now here's the thing.....

I have a Firkin (for the uninitiated, that's a 10Gal Real Ale cask). I've had it for years, but never used it, 'cos I couldn't possibly drink that much in the time it takes for it to go off. It needs a lot of people drinking it in a short space of time to warrant the effort.

I've got all the keystones/bungs/shives/spiles & a brass tap for the serving of Real Ale off-tap, but everything is an unknown to me as far as getting it all to work.

I know I've left my run rather late, but how does everyone feel about me having a go at a low ABV cask-conditioned Porter for the Bummock?

It may end-up as a complete disaster with beer from arsehole to breakfast-time, but I'm willing to give it a shot..........?

No need for a hand-pump sport! Once the tap goes-in, it's gravity-feed all the way..

I know this goes against my grain of the 7-P's, but I figure "What the ****".....lots of folks will be bringing up their own beers in kegs/bottle anyway & if it turns out as a complete cluster, it'll be a memorable "Kodak moment" when I try to tap the cask (someone 'better have video available on their smartarse phone...).

I have an ESB kegged that you are welcome to. Could be transferred??

Black n Tan said:
I have an ESB kegged that you are welcome to. Could be transferred??
Bring it up, for sure.

The purpose of this exercise is to see if I can produce a real-ale for service to a crowd, in a short period of time, without it turning into a disaster. Worst-case scenario, it'll be awful, it'll go all over the floor & I'll end up looking like a complete plonker! Best case scenario, it'll actually work!

Ah, **** it! Brew-day tomorrow. Wish me luck....'gotta lot of work to do....

Well if you want to challenge yourself go right ahead. :D I'll bring plenty of beer but unfortunately I will be driving again.

Update: Real Ale cask idea ain't gonna happen due to poor sealing problems & ongoing "personal issues"... :(

I'm just about to draft-up the PM for directions to get here etc....

Anyone thinking of a last-minute breeze-in, PM me & I'll add you to the distribution list.

Any folks here in (or heading past) the eastern suburbs, and heading up around lunch time?

Keen to find out if a lift is available.

If I ask some of the folks near me *really* nicely I might be able to get my crates and cubes brought up separately (early). So I may just be after a seat...

If you are vaguely near by I can probably get to you by bus, train, or wifey drop off.

Cheers... Mick

I'm waking the sparrows so they can fart and then heading up. I could give you a ride mofox1. However I'm going to have to leave by 5:00pm.

I'm coming through from South East early Saturday to get there by 9
Heading back in the same direction around 8 but maybe earlier Sunday am if that helps anyone

Tahoose has confirmed, but send PM to Husky, Bumma and Poggor, and had no response so looking like no-shows. I have updated the list accordingly. Looking about 5 short.

1. Idzy - "The Repeat Offender" Rye IPA (Pitched at 22c, cold crashed after 1 day, ramped back up to 19c and whirlpooled, awaiting prim/sec/cc)
2. DJ_L3tHAL - American IPA
3. Yob - Belgian Pale Ale.. well.. sort of.. maybe too hoppy for a "style Nazi" but hay, wadda-ya-expect from me?
4. Nullnvoid - ByGeRu Pale Ale (Little Creatures clone)
5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA
6. VACANT SPOT - Jump-on it!
7. mofox1 - American brown or a RyeIPA.
8. Tahoose-confirmed
9. Curly79. APA with home grown Victoria hops. 2nd ever BIAB. Fingers crossed
10. Midnight Brew - The Explorer (Dark Ale III)
11. Technobabble66 (Don't think I didn't notice this sneaky empty spot! I expect a full-on effort from you in the next few weeks, Sir!)
12. MartinOC - Gonna have to change the planned swap beer from the Dunkeldoppelweizenbock (simply can't get it done in time) to something else I've got on-hand. Yeasts just don't fire-up on the stir-plate quickly at these temperatures. It's a long & sordid story....
13. Whiteferret - Oaty Stout
14. Grainer - Californian White IPA
15. Droid - fURQnELL lager/pils
16. Black n Tan- 'Event Horizon' RIS (11.2% ABV, bottled 1/3/15)- the event horizon is the region from which there is no escape from a Black Hole.
17. AJ80 - Fake blonde? Nope, fake Brett
18. Husky- MIA, probably a no show
19. JB - Slaughter Robust Porter or Sid Vicious IPA
20. VACANT SPOT - Jump-on it!
21. Navarau Dark Porter
22. Damn - American Brown in damn PET bottles with 250g + hops
23. Bumma- MIA, probably a no show
24. poggo- MIA, probably a no show

Updated food PM has just been sent out - hope you gents are hungry next weekend. Looks like some pretty tasty stuff will be served up.

Bottled today..

Fook I dislike bottling.. Took me half hour just to find everything let alone the clean-up time from it...

Nonetheless job is done, I'm still bottling for 24 just in case the spots get filled, if not, Martin gets a few extra

Awww...Ain't you just the nicest person in the whole wide world....!

I'm still yet to bottle - the fucker just won't finish!!!!

Latest posts

Back