2014 Xmas in July - Vic Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I can be there on the Friday.

Grain, tent, soup, firewood, brazier (if you want it?), beer, more beer, change(s) of clothes, personal drinking vessel & chastity belt +3 against Cocko.

Oh, & beer too :beerbang:

Ive got a little bit of WY1318 I can spin up and do some tubes of if anyone is keen also, Ive got 8 of the 002 done, might do a half dozen of the 1318's

Sorry, I must be a geek. It's a reference from Dungeons & Dragons (fantasy role-playing game from the 70's/80's). Any implement could be +1/+2 etc. against undead/orcs/dragons/wizards etc..etc...

My singular Chastity belt is +3 against Cocko's. Mind you, I'm now beginning to wonder whether that will actually be enough.....?? :unsure:

Oh, the rumours.....the RUMOURS!!!! They are indeed legendary.. ;)

What hops would be recommended for the cube hopping? Williamette? Ive got a lot of flowers I'd be happy to share around from my vac seal in freezer. Also have Spalt but dont think that would work in a stout??

EKG and Fuggles is more of the traditional mix I guess, but to a degree, I guess you could go Target or Willamette.. Vanguard if you wanted an American Stout..

At the end of the day, the bittering will be more important to get right in a stout as the flavour and aroma is often a bit lost in the Malts (depending)

I guess it depends on which way you want to drive it

I have the Carafa II

5.00 kg Pale Malt (75kg) - Yob - CONFIRMED
0.25 kg Amber Malt (4kg) - Midnight Brew/Techno - CONFIRMED 2kg each
0.25 kg Vienna Malt (3.77kg) - Midnight Brew - CONFIRMED -
0.25 kg Carafa (4kg) - RelaxedBrewer - CONFIRMED
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (4kg) - MartinOC - CONFIRMED
0.25 kg Roasted Barley (4kg)

Fuggles - XXX - Yob - Probably
EKG - XXX - Yob - Probably

MartinOC said:
Sorry, I must be a geek. It's a reference from Dungeons & Dragons (fantasy role-playing game from the 70's/80's). Any implement could be +1/+2 etc. against undead/orcs/dragons/wizards etc..etc...

My singular Chastity belt is +3 against Cocko's. Mind you, I'm now beginning to wonder whether that will actually be enough.....?? :unsure:

Oh, the rumours.....the RUMOURS!!!! They are indeed legendary.. ;)
Yes, indeed, you are a geek. Some of us _do_ remember D&D, we just choose not to admit it on an open, public forum.

Personally, I think Cocko doesn't actually exist, and is just one of Yob's alter-ego's. I mean, you've never actually seen the two of them in the same room, have you?

SmallFry said:
Personally, I think Cocko doesn't actually exist, and is just one of Yob's alter-ego's. I mean, you've never actually seen the two of them in the same room, have you?
Just because you cant see a god doesn't mean he doesn't exist

You can't see a fart either...

Just you wait! When Cocko enters the building, there will be an ethereal glow, a feeling of wellbeing & your nether-regions will begin to tingle... (or maybe that's just the kit beer he's planning on bringing along?).

I'd guess a lot depends on whether he's pregnant already..... ;)

Apologies about my absence, have been extremely busy and haven't had a heap of progress.

However managed to do a test boil last night, after quite a few set backs, which I won't go into. Am hoping to have everything ready to go for a test brew this weekend. I haven't done any proper measurements as such, but it filled about 8 cubes, so I am tipping about 200 litre boil.

I borrowed a burner (thanks Cam) to do a comparison against the burner that I purchased. The burner that I have is a replica of the Blichmann TopTier burner from Keg King. I used a IR gun to do some temperature tests and the Rambo was indeed hotter 440c vs. 490c, however what made me decide to use the Blichmann replica was the total burner flame area, in rough number is was a difference of about 78.54cm^2 (Rambo) vs. 314.16cm^2 (Blichmann). Because of this, my guess was that having 400% of the flame area burner 50c cooler would be better, so that's what I did.

The ramp time was still quite slow, although was from about 20c cold water. I think this was partly to do with adjusting the burner height and flame. I think the boil took about 2-3 hours. I think I used about 1/3 a tank of LPG.

My reflections are that this is going to probably need more heat, so I will modify to suit a dual burner system. The system is obviously substantially larger than many we know about and hasn't got the runs on the board that our main systems do, however I am hoping it will still make beer and make for a really fun day and set a AHB brew day record.

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg

Might be difficult for such a large kettle, but my partial rocket stove heat shroud on my keggle made from a few pop rivets, bolts and aluminium flashing inproved my ramp times significantly by forcing the hot exhaust gases along and up the sides. I used the thin 0.3mm stuff from bunnings. Just an idea might be easier to try that before your trial brew if modifying fot two burners will be a pain?

Here is a pic of my shroud so you know what I'm on about.

1404256538122.jpg

Latest posts

Back