2014 Vic Christmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try get the grain .. will have to find out monday..probably too late notice.. if not I can probably do 10KG base.. but can't get it there..

im going to use cascade and mittlefruh for late hops and ferment this with 1007. thoughts??

g

Okay guys. Looks like it is all getting sorted.

Remaining grain
It looks mostly covered, unless anyone wants to put in 15kg more base malt. For any remaining grain, I am happy to supply it.

Grain needs to be delivered Friday night - Is everyone able to get grain to us by Friday night?

Reimbursement
In terms of costs, I will work out how much we should be paying for grain and then a total cost of recipe and divide by the number of cubes. I hope everyone is okay with this approach.

You will be reimbursed from the amount of grain that you have supplied. Each cuber, including people providing ingredients will pay and then be reimbursed at the end. Logistically this is just the easiest way.

Payments on the day
We will have to have a way to manage payments, as this was a bit of an issue last time. I think I will print a sheet for food and a sheet for cubing. I will need a hand from someone to manage payments on the day.

As each person comes to fill, they will need to provide their receipt of payment, which will be provided on payment.

For hops
Yob will be providing bittering addition, which will be added to the kettle. Yob has also kindly offered to provide hop packs for the cube additions. Please PM him prior to Wednesday night if you would like a hop pack.

Hope all this makes sense?

Cheers,
Idzy

idzy said:
Yob will be providing bittering addition, which will be added to the kettle. Yob has also kindly offered to provide hop packs for the cube additions. Please PM him prior to Wednesday night if you would like a hop pack.
Apologies if it's been mentioned somewhere... but what is the bittering addition going to be IBU-wise? Will it be the whole 28 IBU of Super Alpha from the original recipe? If so, the aforementioned ~100g of hops in the cube seems like *a lot* just to get 5 or so more IBU.

I'll probably go some of the hops kicking around in the ol' freezer... got some Tett / EKG to use up, or Columbus if I'm feeling daring (okay, the Topaz or Nelson if I'm actually feeling daring, which I'm not).

please note that I do not have the hops from the orig. recipe, personally, I'll be subbing hops for my cube.

I will be doing

50g AU Cascade
25g Amarillo
25g Citra or Mosaic

The orig. recipe is, in real terms, a guide only.. What we do to it in the kettle will depend on a lot of factors, the biggest one being what we can extract and what our actual OG is when/if we meet target volume, there will be some play but we will aim for about 1/3 of the total IBU from the kettle addition which will not be Super Alpha unless someone can else provide it.

Gas.. How are we set for gas, keep in mind that well use more than last time as we'll be using the massive arsed kettle both for the boil and for strike.. Gunna be tricky that, I'll also pack my ots element in case we need it.

Sorry can't get the grain .. too late notice for an order to be forfilled

If folks are not sure about the cube hopping, I'll put this forward as an idea

Just take the cube of wort with no cube hops and do a 5lt mini boil when you are going to pitch it, that way you can take your time to choose the hops and do it whenever.

:)

Weren't these threads for putting up your swap recipes? Or has my memory not served me well....

This has more evolved into the brewday recipe and shenanigans..

These swaps have gotten rather epic for equipment and such, can get buried quick in general discussion.

Of late, the actual swap recipes have been placed in the tasting thread. (Not yet created for this one)

technobabble66 said:
Roughly how much magnum went in at what time? (About 250g for 90mins?)
Think magnum went it at 30 mins pre-boil then 90mins boil. Didn't see how many thumbs Yob added though...

technobabble66 said:
Sooooo ......
Time for some numbers:
What was the final volume into cubes?
Roughly how much magnum went in at what time? (About 250g for 90mins?)
this was from Brewnut in the other thread: "Preboil Gravity was 1051, postboil Gravity was 1061"

So, I know this question was asked a couple of times, but no answer was really given.

What's a good yeast for this bad boy? Also I have only ever used dry yeast packets, is there anything different to using a liquid yeast?

Question is what did you cube hop it with? If it was American c hops I'd probably stick with us05/bry97/west coast ale. If you put in something like EKG for example there are is whole list of uk dry and liquid yeasts that you could use.

If you didn't cube hop yours then you pretty much have a blank slate.

Latest posts

Back