2014 Vic Christmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a hop pack I got from Yob, pretty sure they were all American hops. Cascade, amarillo and citra perhaps? Can't quite remember.

So for non cube hopped cubes, what is the process for adding any further hops? I am assuming anything added now would only be the equivalent of dry hopping the beer as there will be no further bitterness imparted.

Well you could do a mini boil with 3-4 litres, you could make a hop tea. You can dry hop the crap out of it. It's a pretty broad spectrum really.

I'm going for the mini boil option as I didn't cube hop. May try to get some stickleback even

Pitched my cube with WY1275 this morning (going down the English path). The wort smelled and tasted great. Ended up with 22L at 1.055.

If you didnt cube hop, a mini boil would be best, as said, its going to be just a blank slate to work from, keep in mind it was bittered though

Ive got my starter of 1272 spinning up (again) to pitch tmoz, the hop packs I brought along were AU Cascade - 50g Citra and Amarillo both at 25g each so Im making an American style dark ale I guess but if you wanted to go English hops on it you easily could too.

AJ80 said:
Pitched my cube with WY1275 this morning (going down the English path). The wort smelled and tasted great. Ended up with 22L at 1.055.
thought we hit 1.061 but makes no never mind I guess.. still, +500L of a 1.055 isnt to sloppy :super:

AJ80 said:
Gravity is now down to 1.014 (sample tasted fantastic). Just racked 8L onto some whiskey soaked French oak chips + some DME and brown sugar to mix it up a bit.

My initial cube has just finished, picked up the second one from Adam today so going to rack the first to keg, do a mini boil as the second is unhopped and just dump it in there.. if I dont chicken out it'll be my first time racking onto cake... I guess I could always collect a jar of slurry and give it a quick rinse out...

either way, big ups to Idzy and looking forward to the beer :drinks:

Well I managed a fair to reasonable **** up on that one... Allowed the mini boil to tip over while chilling.. Didn't lose any... I gained some... 250-500ml?

That water can't have been.. Erm.. Ideal.

;)

Sure, I could reboil.. Ain't gunna, I'll take the risk just won't keep a batch of the yeast if it comes off without turning all sorts of colour

Oops..

My biggest surprise tonight was taking the first keg off the sparkler stout tap do discover there was little difference in the head it pours :blink: ... seriously lovely dark ale.. believe it or not, I didnt go overboard ith Keg hopping it, in fact, Ive not even keg hopped it ;)

Well done there all brewing lads :beerbang:

News on the DA-MKII from above, no signs of infection, keg hopped the living be-deJesus out of it tonight and have it planned for out new years.. coz seriously.. the DA-MKI aint gunna make it that far :icon_drunk:

(yes I only have the one keg on but not making the difference.. would be that way anywhoo))

I have the case swap beer in the fermenter and due to bottle it tomorrow. When taking the samples to test the FG, I noticed it's a little grainy, like full of grain husks. Is this normal? Never fermented a all grain beer before. Or do I need to do something, or should I have done something.

Either way it's ******* delicious and can't wait for it to be ready to drink!

Got around to pitching the case swap brew tonight.

WLP023 Burton Ale (2L active starter)

I cube hopped mine with 30g Columbus & 25g Chinook. Hoping to get a bit of dank with a fruity finish... It certainly tasted damn good from my OG hydro sample - bitter kick at the start immediately followed by the chinook. Cant wait!!!

Just put my cube in the ferment fridge to get to pitching temp.

Will be pitching some BRY 97 into mine tommorow night.

Was cube hopped with some Cascade, Citra and Nelson. WIll probably dry hop it with the same.

Gonna ferment this soon! Been super slack. Can't decide whether to go english, american or american/new world.

Latest posts

Back