2014 Vic Christmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DJ_L3ThAL said:
Gonna ferment this soon! Been super slack. Can't decide whether to go english, american or american/new world.
Went well with the Columbus and Chinook cube hops. Only about 50g total I think. Fermented with wlp023 Burton ale, took it down to about 1.010 from memory.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Gonna ferment this soon! Been super slack. Can't decide whether to go english, american or american/new world.
I've now tasted two samples with an UK yeast. Ive gone through my batch a bit to quick unfortunatley.

How did you hop yours? Whichever yeast you use it wont disappoint.

Midnight Brew said:
I've now tasted two samples with an UK yeast. Ive gone through my batch a bit to quick unfortunatley.

How did you hop yours? Whichever yeast you use it wont disappoint.
I got lazy and didn't cube hope at all. But later decided to do a mini boil ~ 5L and add additions then.

So it's hard given I've got a pretty open slate to decide!

I've got plenty of fruity and loud stuff in kegs at the moment, so perhaps something more wholesome and subtle would be nice. I'll check what hops I have in the freezer tonight as would be handy to use some of those.

I have fermented one of my cubes out with a Trappist ale as a Belgian Dubbel and it has come about a treat. I had an unhooked cube so did a mini boil and added some hallertau and dark brown sugar to get the OG up. Fermented with WPL500.

Going a similar Belgian way to brewnut, except my cube was hopped. Doing a mini-mash and boil with some hops to bring up the OG and volume to 25 or so litres, then adding candi syrup during the ferment, plums in ferment and secondary. More experimentalism!

Mine went down a AUS/NZ path for an American Brown.

Was cube hopped with some Cascade, Citra and Nelson.

Dry hopped with the same.

Fermented with BRY-97

It is going up on offer with 4 other kegs for my sons 30th the weekend after Easter.

This turned out very nice and easily drinkable - so much so I had to take the keg out of my fridge to stop me drinking it all before the party. (I think they are only getting a bit over half a keg now)

Found a little hop baggy I had previously made up and forgot to use, anyone think it will be too out there and ruin the brew, or can the malt profile of this back it up? I'd plan to do a 15 minute boil of 5L of wort from the cube, throw hops in at flame out and cool by tipping into fermenter and then tip rest of the cube on top of it. Thoughts? Is it perhaps better calculated as a 5min addition?

I've scaled the below down to my cube size based on original recipe + Yob's two thumbs worth of Magnum.

Vic Xmas Case Swap - White Rabbit Dark Ale
American Brown Ale
Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 22.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.208
Total Hops (g): 52.50
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 20.0 (EBC): 39.3
Bitterness (IBU): 37.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60
Grain Bill
----------------
3.839 kg Pale Ale Malt (73.71%)
0.768 kg Munich II (14.74%)
0.192 kg Carafa II malt (3.69%)
0.137 kg Crystal 10 (2.63%)
0.137 kg Crystal 120 (2.63%)
0.136 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (2.6%)
Hop Bill
----------------
12.5 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
10.0 g Amarillo Pellet (4.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
10.0 g Citra Pellet (14% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
10.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
10.0 g Simcoe Pellet (13% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)

I can also dry hop it with the same or a combination of some.

Sounds like it will as delicious if not more so than my Nelson, cascade, citra combo.

I've got a little bit of Nelson and Cascade as well.... hmmm tropical punch?

Got this fermenting away now. The mini boil smelled insanely good! Think I'll just go for a similar dry hop schedule with whatever I have left in fridge of said hops. Used US05 so I could ferment at 20C along with two other batches using the same yeast.

Got a 9th place at the MM specialty IPA comp with my brown IPA I brewed with this. Did anyone else enter any comps with their brew?

I wasn't clever enough to think of that! I think I'll bring my keg of it to the July case swap for all to try :)

FWIW, i finally fermented mine out over the last few weeks.
Mine had beed cube hopped with 20g Centennial, 15g Simcoe, 8g Cascade.
I ended up using a top-cropped 2nd gen Brewcellars (?) American Ale dry yeast. 12 hrs lag, then went crazy.
Fermented out at 18-19°C over a week or 2, then rested at 19-20°C for ~1 week, dry-hopped with 25g of 50:50 Citra & Cascade, then 10°C for 4 days and bottled yesterday.
Smelling & tasting great (though probably should've bottled ~48hrs after dry-hopping).
FG = 1.012.
What did others end up with on their FG?

Latest posts

Back