2014 Vic Christmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
76.77 kg Pale Malt, (Joe White) - Yob 25 kg +
15.35 kg Munich, Dark (Joe White) - Mardoo (12.5) kg + Techno (3kg)
3.84 kg Carafa II (412.0 SRM) - Damn (Weyermann)
2.74 kg Crystal Dark (Simpsons) - Techno (2.74kg)
2.74 kg Crystal Pale (Simpsons) - Techno (2.74kg)
2.71 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) - Damn (Weyermann)

327.66 g Super Alpha [13.00 %]
421.28 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Yob (AU)
234.04 g Sticklebract [13.50 %] - Dry Hop (this I assume to be the NZ variety?)

Misc

Brewbrite - Yob
Anti Foaming Agent - Yob

Damn said:

421.28 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Yob (AU)
234.04 g Sticklebract [13.50 %] - Dry Hop (this I assume to be the NZ variety?)

Misc

Brewbrite - Yob
Anti Foaming Agent - Yob
Let's assume yes on the Stircklebract.

I am happy if the experts agree to deviate from the recipe.

Yob said:
Has this been run through any software as yet? particularly interested in how much strike water we need...

lets say losses to systems are ~%20 of the system size (absorption + dead space etc)

200L = 40L
130L = 26L
75L = 20L

+ what we actually want out which is greater than the system size

200L = 240L
130L = 150L
75L = 100L

for a total of 490L pre boil

490 + 90 = 580L lets call it an even 600L total liquor
The upscaled recipe was produced for finished volume. Pre-boil volume is close to capacity. Wasn't sure if we were going to do a side boil without additions and then add before whirlpool?... I have got the numbers in software, I will have to check recipe. Will add losses and post - efficiency was calculated at 70%.

Just my opinion, but we will be better off with cube additions again mate, no way the profile will be the same to the last cube

Yob said:
Just my opinion, but we will be better off with cube additions again mate, no way the profile will be the same to the last cube
As in 100% cube additions, or do kettle bittering followed by the cube hopping?

Now that I am on the cubing list (19) I should go see what I have in terms of grains to contribute. I will check tomorrow and let you know what I have that we can use for the recipe. I know I have a few buckets of wey pils and Maris otter but I'm not sure about specialties.

So Idzy, do you still need any contributions to the specialty grains or is it just the base malt now? I have some Wey Pils and Maris Otter I can contribute if needed.

Based on the red text, it appears to just be unaccounted balt malt. approximately two bags.

I can probably spot some MO... although I'd be just happy to hand over cash to someone who can make it to a supplier as I don't have a huge amount of base malt at the moment.

may be able to get 2 bags at wholesale if people wanna pitch in or pay me back some cash.. but you gotta let me know NOW!!

Grainer said:
may be able to get 2 bags at wholesale if people wanna pitch in or pay me back some cash.. but you gotta let me know NOW!!
I'll spot you for some. What's the buy in?

Guessing it's around $10 - $12 or so worth of grain per person.

For memory there was bucket to drop cash in for cubers at the last one and it was about $10 per cuber.
And another bucket to contribute to food.amount about $15.
I might have the figures mixed about....but either way it's best $25 for a day out that a brewer will down

shit, I better check I have that bag Confirmed B)

Whats not in the ingredients list is hops for the brew.. I stand to be corrected.. buuut

we are cube hopping again and folks are responsible for bringing their own cube additions.

We'll kettle hop with a bittering addition so its just the late hops you need to bring. at the last one we did about 100g cube hops if you need a guide.

(Subject to Idzy's confirmation of course)

421.28 g Cascade [5.50 %] -
234.04 g Sticklebract [13.50 %] - Dry Hop

Misc

Brewbrite - Yob
Anti Foaming Agent - Yob

Sorry if this has been lost, whats the target OG and will a neutral bitterer be applicable? Im happy to supply if needed. As said somewhere, I assume the hops to be NZ varieties which I can be of no help on currently. Personally I'll be subbing in hops if cube hopping is the go.

Looks like I can only find out Monday.. Which may be too late

I will add 10kg of Maris otter to the base malt. Can someone on a computer update this on the recipe. Cheers Karl

Latest posts

Back