2014 Vic Christmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, just a quick one from me. Looks like American Brown is the winner. We just need to pick a recipe... Sounds like White Rabbit Dark Ale clone might be a winner if anyone has a representative recipe, feel free to throw it up.

My 5 cents would be:

73% Pale
15% Munich
3.5% Carafa II
2.5% Crystal Dark
2.5% Crystal Pale
2.5% Cara-Pils

Super Alpha 28 IBU @ 90min
Cascade 5.5 IBU @ 10min

Wyeast 1469

Thoughts?

P.S. JB has offered to shoot some messages around regarding equipment.

This is my recipe - I have made a couple of times and I reckon its pretty good. (punters that have tried it reckon its pretty close to WRDA)

I'll tell in a week or so if its really any good - A bottle of it is in the AABC nationals next week.

Grumpy's Black Rabbit
American Brown Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.072
Total Hops (g): 90.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 43.8 (EBC): 86.3
Bitterness (IBU): 23.3 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.891 kg Golden Promise Malt (57%)
0.659 kg Caramunich II (12.99%)
0.456 kg Carafa II malt (8.99%)
0.304 kg Crystal 120 (5.99%)
0.254 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (5.01%)
0.254 kg Chocolate (5.01%)
0.254 kg Crystal 60 (5.01%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g East Kent Golding Plug (4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
25.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.1 g/L)
25.0 g Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.1 g/L)
10.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.4 g/L)
10.0 g Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.4 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1098 - British Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Cant take full credit for the recipe - its based mostly on picking the details out of a fairly long thread about cloning WRDA.

In that thread one of the former brewers from White Rabbit ( Kai I think) chipped in a fair bit and gave a few hints about the recipe.

Idzy!!!!
I'd take your 5 cents and invest it to develop a portfolio whereby we reduce everything a fraction, up the Munich a bit, and introduce a naughty little caraaroma on the side (a touch of wheat?).
Carapils?? Please, rooky mistake! Ditch that completely. Ditch the Super BORING bittering addition - ok, maybe reduce it by half - and let everyone freeball it with cube additions and yeast.
That makes it 5.05c

Warning: I may be a little bit drunk...

Edit: bit slow also. WRDA is a Brown Ale?

Edit2: carapils? Really??

I'll throw in my few cents also. History of this beer was it started as a WRDA clone but evolved into its own house beer that I variate with yeast and hops. I removed the wheat recently as I dont think it is needed. At 1.050 it comes out at 45EBC with a great complex malt profile. You can brew it as malt driven, hop driven, balanced and next I plan to put some in my bunnings garden sprayer :icon_drool2:

House Dark Ale
65% Pale
20% Munich
6% Caraaroma
6% Caramunich III
3% Carafa Special I
FWH 15-20 IBU
Cube Hopped to bring up to 40IBU
Yeast selection by brewer
Dry hop option/selection by brewer

Sounds good, not having tried it. I've had Janet's Brown by a few different brewers. Great recipe. Does best with a couple months conditioning though.

Brewers/Cubers:
1. Idzy
2. technobabble66
3. RelaxedBrewer
4. JB
5. Micbrew
6. mofox1
7. Damn
8. Mardoo
9. GrumpyPaul
10. Yob
11. AJ80
12. Whiteferret(tentative)
13. pedleyr
14. Nullnvoid
15. breakbeer
16. Midnight Brew
17. MartinOC
18. CarpeDaym
19. Grainer
20. Navarau - reserve?
21. Brewnut - Reserve?
22. Luke1992 - Reserve?

soooo, 19 x 23 = 437L :blink:

even if we can cap at 20 per cube its 380L

If we go with all 22.. 22 x 20 = 440L.. 22 x 23 = 506L were starting to get into crazy talk :lol: (not sayin' it cant be done though)

while I think this is achievable, (440L) I think we need a serious game plan when it comes to the recipe and the boil and how we handle it.. especially considering the epic boilovers last time..

struggling to find a retailer local for fermcap or similar. (which I think we'll need)

It'd also be good to finalize a recipe and get the ingredients sorted as far as contributors etc..

Idzy, it's your final call mate, your day in the sun as it were... but we defo need some movement in a direction about now ;)

seems I can lay my hands on some anti foam stuff.. ~$40 a kilo..

worthwhile or are we just gunna wing it?

so opinions aside ...

id be Very happy an American brown !

looking forward to this one ... if it was 1/2 as good as the last one @ yobs
it will be a winner !

cheers Mick

Yob said:
seems I can lay my hands on some anti foam stuff.. ~$40 a kilo..

worthwhile or are we just gunna wing it?
What is "anti-foam stuff"? A cup of olive oil across the top? :lol:
Could we prevent the boil over w something simple, like a mounted fan blowing across the top during the boil?

Humph! - after a quick flick thru, it looks like it might be poo Brown Ale by majority consensus. (Stifles yawn).
:lol:

... failing another recipe getting posted, I'd happily go with what Midnight Brew posted - looks kinda Brown, and versatile ... and v tasty.
And doesn't contain oats (criteria from Yob)!

Let's call it a brown, methinks. 6 weeks away. Let's get sorted. I have a crapload of malt I'll never get through and I'm happy to give it to the cause. Once we know recipe I can say what I can supply.

technobabble66 said:
What is "anti-foam stuff"? A cup of olive oil across the top? :lol:
Could we prevent the boil over w something simple, like a mounted fan blowing across the top during the boil?
did you see the boil overs at the last swap? they were epic.. I doubt a fan will do much except be in the way

we can be a bit more watchful now we know the behaviour of the kettle I guess... :blink:

Its likely that we'll also need Idzys kettle (or I can bring mine) on the boil for top up water as we go in order to get to required volume.. He's been a bit quiet here of late but we really need his input at where the cubes are capped at and a direction on the recipe. Im not sure we even have all the equipment confirmed as yet.

It's getting critical that we can lock certain things in as it gives us the targets.

Latest posts

Back