2014 Vic Christmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midnight Brew said:
American Brown :icon_drool2:
Is that a vote for a mouth watering American Brown?

or

A vote against a vomit inducing American Brown?

A vote for a mouth watering, delicious, American brown ale with character.

Haven't come across an American Brown before, but sounds interesting... what's a good commercial example I can easily get my hands on?

I might be wrong - but I think White Rabbit Dark Ale is almost an American Brown albeit a bit dark

I would like to propose that GrumpyPaul is totally wrong.
White Rabbit seem to claim a space in brewing whereby their main focus is experimenting with yeast, or rather, providing a large flavour input from the yeast. So i'm assuming their Dark Ale is, well, a dark ale where the flavours are coming from the malts and yeast (as per my experience). Whereas an American Brown should(?) be more about the hops and a bit about the malts.
I might also be wrong :D

Keen for a:
Red Ale
Dark Ale (or maybe a Brown/Amber Ale)
Old Ale

White Rabbit use the term Dark Ale as an umbrella term to cover their beer. Theyre not style Nazis and are not affraid of an experiement. Techno is spot on with its main aim being yeast driven with hops and malt taking the passenger seat. Closest style on BJCP is American Brown Ale.

A good commercial example is 2 Brothers Growler and I had another one floating in my head but seems to escape me right now.

Red Ale and Amber Ale :icon_drool2: loving these suggestions also.

Good thing about these three styles in they can be manipulated to the brewers preference by late/cube hopping and yeast choice. Red Ale or Amber Ale could be similar (usually I find Ambers more caramel and red more rich) to find a middle ground where we can have both and even AAA crosses over with APA so the hops can be balancing with that malt to make an APA. With the browns you can make it malt driven (UK), yeast driven or hop driven (US). I did have some split batches planned with ABA and AAA to be split on a UK and a US yeast and cube hopped accordingly.

I'll put my vote in for an Irish red - unless the want is for everyone to go in different directions in regards to hops & yeast, then a yanky brown would be the go.

If an Irish red is voted in, Mick & I have had success with the 'better red than dead' recipe in the recipe database. If fact, Mick used that one for his last swap beer.

Liking the sound of an American Brown. Looking to be taking the vote so far.

Yob said:
Ive still got ya lid at my joint Idzy if youre looking for it :)
Thanks Yob, won't need it until the day, but thanks for keeping it safe. If I ever get around to brewing in the near future I will kill two birds with one stone on a hop run at yours :)

Irish Red, American Brown, Amber Ales are all winners with me.

There's always Tasty's Janets Brown recipe which gets no end of praise on TBN podcasts. Not particularly sessionable at >7% but it could always be left up to brewers to add the corn (/ cane) sugar component during fermentation if people wanted to omit for a lower abv version.

I'm nervous about equipment.. Can we get this started?

I can help out where required but we'll have similar limitations to the last one I expect?

Yob said:
I'm nervous about equipment.. Can we get this started?
Yob what equipment was used last time? I have an early list from last time - not volunteering anyone here:

Idzy
- 600 litre kettle
- 200 litre mash tun

Relaxed brewer
- 200 litre kettle
- 130 litre mash tun

Whiteferret
- 32 jet mongolian burner
- 200L drum

Midnight Brew
- High Pressure Stockpot Burner 200lt

Burner / stand
Pumps
Hoses
Camlock connections

I can bring a 100 ltr kettle + spiral burner.

Oops, stuck this in the wrong thread..
+1 for the American Brown ale. Have a look at Janet's brown ale recipe. It's supposedly an awesome one.

Latest posts

Back