2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting to see plenty of action, still need to vo vertical but plenty of growth down low.

POR.JPG

POR

TETT.JPG

TETT

Hops.JPG

From the end of the yard

My 2nd year goldings and chinook are going absolutely mental, but the Victoria is a no go.
Last year it produced a pretty big crop and it has loads of shoots but they break the surface, sprout one or two tiny leaves, turn brown and die. Wtf?
It's in the same medium, same pot size and gets the same water and sunlight as the chinook and goldings.

Anyone else had this happen? What did you do?

One of my chinooks has broken the surface, I'm still waiting for the other to pop up. Hopefully it will stick it's head out over the next few days. The one which has appeared is growing like a weed.

Mine have reached the top of the trellis and have now started to venture down my fence...2nd year Hallertau, got nothing off them first year but fingers cross this year!

Chinook is still only an inch or 2 tall :/

Might have to move them to another spot, maybe not enough sun

Got goldings and cascade they are all just popping up about inch high with some leaves.... only 1 shoot each. poor little guys,,,

Cascade 2nd year

IMG_20131011_193700.jpg

Hallertau 2nd year

IMG_20131011_193709.jpg

Chinook 2nd year (shoot protective grill removed)

IMG_20131011_193722.jpg

Haven't had any hops yet, but gave these lovelies some liquid fish, slow release fertiliser, blood and bone, and leaf matter before a good covering of straw.

My 2x Hallertau have launched, 2 x Cascades have taken off and already reached about 65cm and the 2x Chinooks seem to have survived against the odds of scrub turkeys digging the whole root system up 4 times during winter. I'm thinking hop stuffed turkey for Christmas.

Looking forward to another fresh harvest ale with Cascade and Chinook.

Martin

sp0rk said:
Chinook is still only an inch or 2 tall :/
By all accounts chinook is a slow starter, but a fast finisher.

Yob said:
Starting to see plenty of action, still need to vo vertical but plenty of growth down low.
attachicon.gif
POR.JPG

POR

attachicon.gif
TETT.JPG

TETT
The good news is I found mine (remember the strawberry looking hop photo/post I made a few weeks back) - turns out I had actually planted it the hops on the other side of the garden.

Yob gave me the TETT and POR Yob gave me have sprouted but now where near the growth shown in Yob's pic.

Will post a pic soon.

wide eyed and legless said:
Day 21 in the hydro 5 hop pellets planted 3 strikes in one pot and 1 strike in the other :)
Sorry? you put some hop pellets in a hydro pot and some have grown? :blink:

What sorts?

Hopefully amarillo, simcoe and citra.

Latest posts

Back