2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dopey.JPG

Sativa... No thats not right...

Sorry, I was feeling a bit playful this morning, I only put that in for the benefit of the septic tanks, I was reading this morning that 12%
of them believe that Joan of Arc was Noah's wife so I thought why not :D

Interesting idea but, if lupulin was like pollen there might exist a potential to clone it using tissue culture.

My chinook are looking a bit poor, been attacked by bugs (spraying with pyrethrum, garlic & chilli didn't seem to help). Now the leaves are starting to discolour. The Melbourne weather has been a proper James Blunt lately, lots of wind and even hail yesterday. Anyway, I thought someone with greener thumbs might have some advice. I've been feeding them cow poo and also some seasol roughly every week. Plenty of water.

image.jpg

I've got a few leaves on my goldings drying out and browning a bit around the edges like that. They're only down low so figure they're just old leaves as they have good drainage and minimal fertiliser. Pretty sure they did the same thing last year so not too worried.

Disclaimer: I'm am not a horticulturist.

Where are you growing yours Phil Mud? Looks a bit shady in the photo you put up is why I asked. Under trees can sometimes lead to attack from insects that live in the trees. Also, full sun is normally the best. Fuggles and Australian Tettnang may tolerate some shade though.

Hi Hoppy, thanks for that, yep, not full sun I'm afraid, stupid little inner city back yards! It's next to a colorbond fence in a garden bed with a bunch of herbs and chillies etc

I've put in two Chinook rhizomes this year and only one has emerged from the dirt thus far, but unfortunately I came home to find the dog sleeping on it and broken off at the ground. Not happy to say the least. What I'm wondering is if the broken shoot is likely to re-emerge and take off again, or if the rhizome will put out some more shoots in it's first year in the ground?

Also, does the lack of action from my second rhizome mean it is a goner, or am I just being impatient?

Cheers,

JD

just sit tight, it will put out more shoots. put some chook wire around it so the dog doesn't sit on it again

Liam_snorkel said:
just sit tight, it will put out more shoots. put some chook wire around it so the dog doesn't sit on it again
Thanks mate, never grown hops before so it is all a bit of a mystery at the moment.

Rat shot is a good fix for broken bines. Apply judiciously from a sensible distance.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on animal welfare.

Camo6 said:
Rat shot is a good fix for broken bines. Apply judiciously from a sensible distance.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on animal welfare.
Are you suggesting I shoot my dog? I rather burn down my house and never drink another beer again than do that.

JDW81 said:
Thanks mate, never grown hops before so it is all a bit of a mystery at the moment.
have a flick through previous years "show us ya hops" threads to see how other 1st year rhizomes have gone. Chinook being a slow starter seems to be a common thing. Mine didn't really/ get cracking until december in their first year.

JDW81 said:
Are you suggesting I shoot my dog? I rather burn down my house and never drink another beer again than do that.

Naah. Just my sardonic sense of humour. I'm the same about my pooch. I worked for an old cocky whose dog would gnaw at the carryall everyday no matter how much he yelled at it. One morning he jumped off the tractor, ran in the shed, came out with the .22 and shot him. My stomach dropped cause I thought he'd just killed Sam but he'd only used ratshot which is just a grainy powder. "Now get on the ******* verandah!" he said. Sam took his advice and never chased the carryall again. Anyway I hope you liked my story. Probably needs more dragons though.

null_zpsc0ae2ca6.jpg

Wouldn't have picked Goldings to be the triffid so early. Chinook is catching up rapidly though and you can't see it, the Victoria on the left has finally sent up shoots that haven't immediately died.

Latest posts

Back