2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where will your hops climb to mate?

Mine are at the top of the 4.8 metre pole after letting them droop a metre and still climbing into thin air. You need some serious support there.

Sadly the retaining wall is coming down soon, so I can't string them up like last year.
I may have brokered a deal with the neighbor to house them on his side of the fence for the season though. Hopefully I'll move them this weekend and sort out some lines for them.

punkin said:
Ratshot is small lead BB's.
#BB is a size class of shot between #B and #BBB, same as #12 is a size of shot otherwise referred to as 'ratshot' or 'dust'. Agree, they are very small.

Just to reiterate my stance on animal welfare, I own a pure bred border collie from a reputable Casterton breeder. She preferred chasing the bike than the farmer's sheep and was gonna get lead poisoning, instead she now follows my girls around the backyard licking the honey off their hands and protecting my hops, which, to keep on topic, are flourishing.

20131017_194905.jpg 20131014_171316.jpg

Now that everyone's rhizomes are shooting what are you all growing?

As far as I can tell the following varieties have been available as rhizomes this year -

Fuggles
Golding
Challenger
Target
Northdown
Chinook
Cascade
Columbus
Willamette
Mt Hood
Nugget
Liberty
Saaz
Tettang
Hersbrueker
Hallertau
Perle
Victoria
Red Earth
Wurtemburger
Tardif de Bourgogne
Pride of Ringwood

Did I miss any?

acm259 said:
Now that everyone's rhizomes are shooting what are you all growing?

As far as I can tell the following varieties have been available as rhizomes this year -

Fuggles
Golding
Challenger
Target
Northdown
Chinook
Cascade
Columbus
Willamette
Mt Hood
Nugget
Liberty
Saaz
Tettang
Hersbrueker
Hallertau
Perle
Victoria
Red Earth
Wurtemburger
Tardif de Bourgogne
Pride of Ringwood

Did I miss any?
The real question is how do I get all these varieties in my garden and convince the wife they are good climbers for the garden without spending a cent LOL...

Mine have stopped growing and have burs on them.

hops6.jpg

hops7.jpg

Seems to me that my first year last year i picked the cones from the bottom up, but this year they seem to be flowering from the top down?

Anyone know what is the norm?

Only just starting to shoot. The trellis needs to be higher but they haven't finished harvesting the local pine forest and then all the 7m posts I need :ph34r: !

HopsOct2013.jpg

Many thanks for adding that one Hoppy2B.

Elsasser and Precoce d"Bourgogne would also be on the list but nobody has offered up rhizomes from either of them for a couple of years. So I don't know whether they are stashed in someone's backyard or now extinct.

Andrew

My cascade looks to be dying off - thought I was a potassium deficiency. :-(

Leaves are browning from the outside in.. Any ideas?

Jurt said:

Can you provide photos Jurt? What sort of fertilizing and watering regime have you been following?

Finally put up some bamboo teepees for my hops to climb
20131027_133946.jpg

My Chinook that's been in the ground since early August, still not really getting any progress :unsure:
20131027_134002.jpg

Hallertauer that's been in the ground since tuesday, it's going crazy (shoot on the left is 2 inches tall)
I think there were 20ish shoots coming off the rhizome, so we'll see how it goes
20131027_134016.jpg

Thanks again to Carniebrew who sold me the Hallertauer rhizome after my Victoria bit the dust

Anyone been able to get a good harvest of Hallertauer? Had mine 2 years and still no hops. Although I haven't been able to get it to grow huge like some people.

Jurt said:

Wet feet? I had tomatoes do similar due to poor drainage in their pots. Are they potted or in the ground?

Yob said:
Have you checked soil PH?
Negative, what's the optimum range? Most of the others like black currant and raspberry are doing great.
hoppy2B said:
Can you provide photos Jurt? What sort of fertilizing and watering regime have you been following?
No photos at this stage, I've been house sitting and popping in the check up on the plants etc every few days.

Cow manure, gave it some potash the other day, and started with miracle grow liquid. Watering daily, full sun position.
Camo6 said:
Wet feet? I had tomatoes do similar due to poor drainage in their pots. Are they potted or in the ground?
Potted with around 6 holes, the pot is 40cm diameter and about 40cm tall, filled 90% ish.

Watered daily as above, it did cross my mind, I had a poke around and it is damp, but it was also watered before I checked it.

Jurt said:
Negative, what's the optimum range? Most of the others like black currant and raspberry are doing great.

No photos at this stage, I've been house sitting and popping in the check up on the plants etc every few days.

Cow manure, gave it some potash the other day, and started with miracle grow liquid. Watering daily, full sun position.

Potted with around 6 holes, the pot is 40cm diameter and about 40cm tall, filled 90% ish.

Watered daily as above, it did cross my mind, I had a poke around and it is damp, but it was also watered before I checked it.
Is it good quality potting mix or have you added any soil? Also how often are you fertilising? Maybe your burning them. Shouldn't think it's the miraclegro as there cousins thrive on that stuff, or so I'm led to believe. :ph34r:

Yesterday morning my hops looked like this...

hops6.jpg

Yesterday afternoon they looked like this...

hops10.jpg

I've done some investigations and i think i have found the culprits...

hops8.jpg

hail210.13.jpg

Was the 5th of December last year when the bigger hail storm ripped through and i still got a fair crop. It's hard to how now, but hoping this will regenerate.

Latest posts

Back