2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Browning on the leaves could be burn from the sun hitting them when they are wet. This happened to mine when they were young and since then I have mad an effort to keep the leaves dry if I water in the morning and it hasnt happened again since

Browning on the leaves could be burn from the sun hitting them when they are wet. This happened to mine when they were young and since then I have mad an effort to keep the leaves dry if I water in the morning and it hasnt happened again since

Really? I grew up (my parents are mad keen gardeners) hearing all this fear of burning leaves by watering during the day & having wet leaves. I don't think I've ever seen it occur. So I'm a bit skeptical about it, tbh; unless it's a particularly delicate plant.
Also, it just doesn't seem logical: surely there'd be dead plants everywhere every time there's a rain shower in spring, summer & autumn.
I'd happily be proven wrong though!

Are you sure it's from the water + sun burning the leaves? Hops seem a bit too robust for this.

By the way, I'm not having a go at you ninegrain!
I'm just curious about this phenomenon I've heard so much about but never actually seen in person in spite of much watering on sunny days.

It's true it is a bit of a myth with most plants, but those with soft or young leaves it certainly can happen.

Most days it won't, but if young leaves are left with water on them on a day that's forecast to be clear and 30'c plus then they may burn. This happens on my maples all the time. Generally it's the case on deciduous broad leaves trees that come from cold climates.

Once the hops have mature, adult leaves I wouldn't worry about. Just the new out the ground soft leaves on a day that's forecast to be hot

I blame our lack of an ozone layer and these weak northern hemisphere plants that can't handle it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

technobabble66 said:
<snip>
Where did you read it's best not to feed them during the growing season? What is the theory behind that idea?
If there's a good reason I'll have to change what I'm doing. I'm currently treating my chinook the same as all my plants, esp cropping plants: small-moderate amounts of dynamic lifter every 4-6 weeks, and nitrosol & seasol every 2-3 weeks.
<snip>
I think it was from a combination of articles/blogs, but this is pretty much where it started: http://byo.com/stories/item/1872-growing-hops-in-containers

The suggestion seemed to be to only feed them when they need it....i.e. if you leaves start to turn purple or brown, or stop growing. I guess mine have done the latter...but they look so damn healthy I've been hesitant to pound them with fertilizer.

Oh and it won't kill em. The leaves and plant in general are still ok with burnt bits on them. It will just make em look sick when they may not necessarily be so, and slow them down a little.

Here's another article I recall reading: http://www.brewerschoice.net.au/html/growing%20hops.htm

It's Australian-based, which helps...and it mentions that the 'main growing time' is early to mid-summer...so I haven't been too worried about not seeing a lot of vertical action from my hops as yet, given they're all first year plants. I figure as long as they look healthy and green, then I'll wait 'til mid-next month before worrying about their height.

This is the extent of the browning/yellowing that is happening g to my Columbus. It doesn't worry me too much.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383292043.451491.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

unclebarrel said:
This is the extent of the browning/yellowing that is happening g to my Columbus. It doesn't worry me too much.
The one on the left looks a bit crook UB, but the rest are a lot more like mine at the moment. I'm gonna RDWHAHB and see how they progress!

My plan exactly. HB's going fins well right now !

The cascade and chinook are not that bad, just a little browning in the edges.

@ Punkin.. Mate, you seem to get some wicked hail storms up there on a regular basis.. Ya car must look like a golf ball ;)

sp0rk said:
My chinook was dead when i went to water it today :(
Yeah, that sucks don't it. I hope you have some other hops growing spork.

Yob said:
@ Punkin.. Mate, you seem to get some wicked hail storms up there on a regular basis.. Ya car must look like a golf ball ;)
Yeah. Copped the side of my ute as it came in under the carport this time. Dropped the comprehensive insurance a couple of years ago as the old girl dropped value so it's there to stay too.

Got an assessor coming round to look at the house and shed rooves.

unclebarrel said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383292043.451491.jpg

That looks like Downy Mildew, and if you are letting water touch the leaves while watering you are feeding the mildew, just take those bottom leaves off.

Thanks for the heads up W.E.A.L.
Checked out downy mildew and it looks exactly like what I have !
The offending bine has been amputated.

Just a quick update from the Island.

Cascade
Cascade.jpg

Chinook
Chinook.jpg

Fuggles
Fuggles.jpg

Goldings
Goldings.jpg

Hersbrucker
Hersbrucker.jpg

Perle
Perle.jpg

Pride of Ringwood
PoR.jpg

mine are being eaten but can't see whats doing it, What Can i put on them?
Cheers
Gavin

Back