2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carniebrew said:
Bugger, how did that happen?
Apparently i may have watered it too much before the rhizome was well established
The Hallertauer I got from you is going gangbusters, though :)

unclebarrel said:
Thanks for the heads up W.E.A.L.
Checked out downy mildew and it looks exactly like what I have !
The offending bine has been amputated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And my understanding is to take that bine far away and burn it/dispose of it thoroughly - chucking it in the compost keeps the mildew and it's spores in the vicinity of the rest of your garden and healthy hop plants.

Cascade already ten feet tall and showing tiny cones: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383438938.121889.jpg

I blame global warming.

I'm keen to see pics of the cones on your Cascade when they are ready Mr. No-Tip.

And my understanding is to take that bine far away and burn it/dispose of it thoroughly - chucking it in the compost keeps the mildew and it's spores in the vicinity of the rest of your garden and healthy hop plants.
Thanks kevo.
Good advice, I did just drop it on the ground.
Now I will bin it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any tips to keep the possums at bay? They're eating the growth nodes

cage and release 10=km away if you are friendly

Cage and release after 5 minutes at the bottom of the lake if you are not so friendly

or there are >THESE< sorts of things

:icon_cheers:

My Chinook from a few weeks ago (i just worked out how to upload pics), ~9/10/13.
A single Rhizome from the Doc (planted ~14/8/13) produced the 3 bines in the pic. Bines first appeared ~5/9/13.
It grew a little bigger & leafier after the photo was taken, but hasn't really grown at all in the last 2 weeks due to the cold weather (i think).

Mind you, all the other plants are much bigger now, especially the tomatoes <_<

Hops, 9:10:13, 1b.jpg

Image054.jpg
A German-origin hop style. I think it's Perle. Only been out of the ground maybe 2 weeks.

And my bamboo frame hop trellis. Still needs to be secured and strings attached, but you see the general intent
Image055.jpg

<edit> Bushfire-ravaged trees (black trunks/ brown foliage) can be seen in the background and sideground (hey I made a word). </edit>
Les from the fiery swamp

Mardoo said:
You could try fox urine:

http://www.traps.com.au/lures.htm

Towards the bottom of the page. Not the lures, the urine. Lures and your cats/chooks/chihuahuas are toast.
Wow! Cool site. Pity they're out of skunk quill as I know a few blokes who deserve a drop of that in their plenum chambers. And a bit of Musk might help around home if ya know what I mean.

hmmm, little white specks on my leaves, hopefully it's not some sort of mildew

I'm sure it's recorded in here somewhere....

I'm interested to know what you guys feed your hop plants with. I have a chinook about 10 feet now and have only ever watered it.

What should I feed it to give it the best chance of a decent yield?

chook shit occasionally, seasol every 2 weeks, and a bag of mushie compost at the start of growing season. I have no idea what I'm doing but they seem to be growing quite happily (as is the parsley bush next to them, it has a 'trunk' as wide as my wrist)

Back