2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cow shit and seasol here, seems to be working great with my Hallertauer and Strawberries this year
The strawberry bush is about 3 times taller than it usually gets, I think the cow poop/seasol combo is a winner

sp0rk said:
Cow shit and seasol here, seems to be working great with my Hallertauer and Strawberries this year
The strawberry bush is about 3 times taller than it usually gets, I think the cow poop/seasol combo is a winner
how often?

They all seem like pretty good methods of fertilizing. Regular watering is important too.

Nitrogen , potassium and phosphorous .
Check the label . Cheaper ones don't have as much as more pricy ones . I prefer dynamic lifter because in its pellet form it is slow release and a cup of pellets in a 20 litre bucket for a few days becomes instant liquid fertiliser so you can have the best of both methods . It's about $45 a bag , even cheaper if you go to Bunnings the day befor and break a few bags open so the next day they will re bag them and sell them at a discount (about half price ;) )
Good ol water is what they need most if all and lots of it .
Give it to em big time !

Random hop shooting up, suspected Goldings... but may be Fuggles (left over remnant from removed rhizome)

IMG_1958b.jpg

I haven't given mine much water lately, as I noticed when I turn over a few inches of the potting mix, it's still quite moist. Not wet, but cool and moist...and that was yesterday after a couple of warm/sunny days, before the rain came back. Seems Melbourne is giving them enough water without my help at the moment...

Befor water and that , sun is really a big thing that they need , shade at any moment in daylight hours = not ideal .

My plants sit between the septic drain pipes, constant dynamic lifter.
They are not real tall yet but we have has some good frosts in the last few weeks and still been hitting below zero overnight at times......-2 on Wednesday morning, 34 today....what hope...
All my rhizomes came up this year except for saaz which were quite small and have rotted. Need to get strings up this week.

Companion planting might help ? Strawberries or marigolds can give a soil covering to help defend the frost ,
Or just hook up some sodium halide lights ;)

northside novice said:
Befor water and that , sun is really a big thing that they need , shade at any moment in daylight hours = not ideal .
I recently moved my eco-kegs as I noticed a few trees in my yard were partly shading the hops during the morning and arvo. The new spot should get them a lot more sun, let's see how that goes.

Adding cow poop during growing season...do you just spread a thin amount and hose in? Any burning risk?

Poop is good just don't let it touch the plant at all , water in well , if possible dig it in around the plant trying to avoid the roots but don't stress if ya get a few roots hehe we all need to get a root now n again !

carniebrew said:
I recently moved my eco-kegs as I noticed a few trees in my yard were partly shading the hops during the morning and arvo. The new spot should get them a lot more sun, let's see how that goes.
I have mine in a standard back yard in the biggest boring black pot you can get , yes I need a cart to move it around but your onto it ! Full sun is the way ! The fuk ers wuv that chit

Chinook.JPG

Chinook at the top and powering

Cascade.JPG

Cascade starting t go vertical

EKG is having a crack as is the Victoria after a setback due to high winds

:)

Whats that shiny thing above the hops surrounded by that blue stuff? Bloody Queenslanders. Grumble, grumble... ;-)

The sun mate. You can have some, we haven't had much rain in the last couple of months.

So after all my leaves wilting and drying, there are new shoots starting from the existing stalks, I trimmed all the leaves and stalks back down and tidied it up, I think the pots and soil aren't allowing drainage and it's virtually cooking the roots.

I've aerated the soil and will probably look at replanting soon into a pot with gravel at the bottom and soil on top.

Back