2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First Year Smurto Goldings is now over head height and growing at about a rate of an inch a day.. these are ******* amazing plants to grow..
1.JPG

who knows what the chinooks are doing, all 3 are doing something different...

tett is moving again, (in front of the blue barrels)
2.JPG

cascade I think wants to be in the ground... I may replace one of the stunted/off coloured chinooks with it but I will have to be quick about it..

my chinook hasnt grown in a month its only about 3cm high but my POR is starting to grow again looks like a green afro on the ground its heaps bushy lol

I have just noticed that my saaz has sent up about 3 extra bines around the same pole. could this be a problem if they are wrapping around each other?

I have just noticed that my saaz has sent up about 3 extra bines around the same pole. could this be a problem if they are wrapping around each other?

Nah they'll fight it out and the strongest will eat the other two. :D
Multiple bines per string, pole, whatever, is fine. Could you imagine having 20-30 individual strings for an older plant with that many bines?

Multiple bines per string, pole, whatever, is fine. Could you imagine having 20-30 individual strings for an older plant with that many bines?

Fair enough. I suppose its a good sign of health if it keeps sending up new bines.
I also noticed that it was about this time last year that people posted on the 2010 thread pics of their newly developing flowers so exciting times ahead... :D

does anyone know /have any Galaxy Growing? Id love to get on the list early for a cutting/rhizome for next season... ??

I'd be next in line to jump onto that bandwagon yob, however iirc Galaxy is still a propriety variety that is only available through the one grower (Hop Products Australia)? More than happy to be corrected, as it's my hop of choice atm and would love to get my hands on my own rhizome. :icon_drool2:

In a couple of weeks my first year Saaz will have a few more strings added. That will make a total of 20. If it keeps sending out bines at the base I wouldn't hesitate to take it to 30. :lol:

In a couple of weeks my first year Saaz will have a few more strings added. That will make a total of 20. If it keeps sending out bines at the base I wouldn't hesitate to take it to 30. :lol:

Would love to see a photo of that!!!!

I would guesstimate i have more than 100 bines per chinook plant (3 in total). They now cover a cicrular are of 3m in diamater.

Between them i have put up 10 strings. there is a fence in the middle that they eventually figure out how to climb.

The weeds can find their own way up to the trellis as far as i am concerned. Only the strong survive. Evolution at play. If I am right they will be brewing beer for me in a few years time. And not in a bucket either (that would be reverse evolution) B)

My first hops in a planter box made from an old sliding door from the current reno.
Cascade rhizomes from Rupert down south at Hops west, cheers Rupert.

Going to have to make the trellis thingymebob this week, my sticks are getting climbed quicker than I thought given the hops stayed in the fridge 4 months

the straw mulch is from the chook pen, covered in little chicken turdy goodness...

hops.JPG

cascades
Image0484.jpg

chinook - L & pride of ringwood - R
Image0485.jpg

goldings - still looking sick but throwing heaps of laterals
Image0486.jpg

Cluster, thinned to 5 bines and trimmed.
IMG_1966.jpg

Tettnanger, thinned and going crazy. About 1.5m.
IMG_1964.jpg

Goldings. Looking lovely.
IMG_1962.jpg

Cascade.
IMG_1960.jpg

Chinook.
IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

All the plants have been necked back. Only 5-8 bines out of each rhizome.

Also have this Tettnang.
IMG_1968.jpg

Which is going down to my uncle's place.

And all these little ones.
IMG_1970.jpg

Keen to see how the POR, Hallertau and Saaz are going down in Flinders at my uncle's.

I would guesstimate i have more than 100 bines per chinook plant (3 in total). They now cover a cicrular are of 3m in diamater.

Between them i have put up 10 strings. there is a fence in the middle that they eventually figure out how to climb.

The weeds can find their own way up to the trellis as far as i am concerned. Only the strong survive. Evolution at play. If I am right they will be brewing beer for me in a few years time. And not in a bucket either (that would be reverse evolution) B)

Man would you be able to post a pic? that would be unreal to see...

It's a bit depressing to see everyone's hops growing so quickly... Mine are like 4 cm's high still and haven't moved for weeks...

It's a bit depressing to see everyone's hops growing so quickly... Mine are like 4 cm's high still and haven't moved for weeks...

I still have a couple like that but i can assure you that once it hits about a foot high it will take off like crazy!!

I wouldn't worry too much about the plants shooting skyward now. They will probably be ready for picking in January. And the leaves can get a bit decrepit when they get old. Most people's plants on here that are just sitting there will probably look like that, mine do. I only have one plant out of a handful of varieties that are going anywhere fast. :mellow:
Somewhat comforting to hear, thanks!

chinook on the left, pride of ringwood on the right. A first year cascade also going well but nothing worth a photo just yet!

IMG_0130.jpg

Back