2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about this?My Hallertau, planted in July in Adelaide.
Seems to be shooting like crazy underneath, but not looking too flash on the leaf extremities.Any ideas?
HUkkW.jpg

Some of mine have been like that - just seem to be "stalled". Very frustrating.

Mine 2 plants have a reasonable amount of healthy looking shoots out of the ground but don't seem to be wantitng to grow upwards either. It hurts a bit looking at the progress other plants are making in the pictures getting posted here!

I wouldn't worry too much about the plants shooting skyward now. They will probably be ready for picking in January. And the leaves can get a bit decrepit when they get old. Most people's plants on here that are just sitting there will probably look like that, mine do. I only have one plant out of a handful of varieties that are going anywhere fast. :mellow:

Is it possible that different varieties take off earlier than others ?? It would seem that way as there does not seem to be any Cascade reaching for the skies as yet ???

Matt

Is it possible that different varieties take off earlier than others ?? It would seem that way as there does not seem to be any Cascade reaching for the skies as yet ???

Matt

Yes. And there will be variety, within varieties, within your back yard. Don't judge yours by what is over the fence.

Malted ... I am not sure the guy next door is growing hops .. but seems to have some well tended to Tomato bushes ... must be a new variety ... oddest looking flowers I have ever seen !!! ;-)

But I am cool with my hops .. I transplaneted the smallest of the two from a bag of pretty crappy soil into high grade organic potting mix ... lots more shoots were developing under the soil ... This is its first year so not expecting much of a harvest ... maybe next year though !!!

Matt

Malted ... I am not sure the guy next door is growing hops .. but seems to have some well tended to Tomato bushes ... must be a new variety ... oddest looking flowers I have ever seen !!! ;-)

1. If neighbour is not looking, lean over fence and collect a few of the odd flowers.
2. Place on plate in microwave with a half a mug of water, zap on high for a minute.
3. Check that water in mug has not boiled over and top up as necessary, zap for another minute.
4. Are the odd flowers sort of half dry or between that and dry? Keep zapping until they are in this range.
5. Take to the odd flowers on a cutting board with a knife the same as how you'd deal with fresh parsley
6. Mix the chopped odd flowers with some cigarette tobacco (from a tailor made or from pouch tobacco) in roughly a 50-50 mix. Some prefer less or no tobacco.
7. Roll this new mix into a cigarette paper or two. You can roll a filter into it or substitute with a thin tube of rolled cardboard. You can even empty a tailor made cigarette of its tobacco and carefully repack it with this new mix of odd flowers. (There are many other devices you could use but we will keep it simple for now).
8. Find a nice comfy chair and plonk yourself in it with a good sized bag of potato chips and a big bottle of water.
9. Enjoy a peaceful smoke with the odd flowers that you collected and processed yourself. Its been hard work, you deserve a rest.

pretty sure pink floyd is req'd also...i'd probably slot it somewhere between steps 8 & 9

Matt

Mine seem to be shooting in order of their native latitude. So the kent goldings is off like a rocket, followed by cascade, then saaz is slow. Now a sample of three doesn't make science, but i was wondering whether daylight length is one of the triggers. The latitude means that daylight length in melbourne would be equivalent to later in the spring for england. But... just an unprocessed thought really.

Are other people's hops shooting in a different order?

Mine seem to be shooting in order of their native latitude. So the kent goldings is off like a rocket, followed by cascade, then saaz is slow. Now a sample of three doesn't make science, but i was wondering whether daylight length is one of the triggers. The latitude means that daylight length in melbourne would be equivalent to later in the spring for england. But... just an unprocessed thought really.

My chinook was always last, POR always first.

does anyone know /have any Galaxy Growing? Id love to get on the list early for a cutting/rhizome for next season... ??

1. If neighbour is not looking, lean over fence and collect a few of the odd flowers.

Sorry to take this slightly off topic but has anyone ever used these strange flowers as hops substitute?

I was discussing that with someone last weekend and we wondered if it was possible? They are from the same family I thought.

ozzy, if you are come across a spare rhizome on your galaxy quest i would happily give my firstborn / tons-o-cash for one - preferably the kid though...surely they are useful for something?

Yes. And there will be variety, within varieties, within your back yard. Don't judge yours by what is over the fence.

I fee lthe force is strong in you malt

Back