2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this powdery mildew? I'll be pissed if it is. Sorry about the res on the camera.

Hard to tell from those pics.

It depends where on the plant these leaves cam from? top, middle , bottom.

If they are from the bottom of the plant and the middle and growing tips are still looking healthy and green, i would say that it is some sort of deficiency.
From my reading and experienced with other vine type plants, they will often drop the earlier leaves as well - or start taking nutrients from them for
new growth / flowering / fruiting.

Also check under the leaves for mites / aphids ect.

e

cant remember were i seen it but apperantly the reason that the commercial farmers keep theyre hops to 2 bines is simply for the harvesting machinry.
if they go for any more it stops the machine due to the excess growth. the advice of the expert was at home to just let them go because there would be no advantage to keep it down to 2 bines in a home situation. i didnt trim back the bines on my hallertau last year and got around 300 grams dry off it in its first year.
I was interested as to how hops are harvested mechanically and some time ago did a brief search. What I discovered was that the bines are cut down individually and fed through a machine which strips the cones and leaves. It separates cones and leaves in a stream of air.
Hop bines are usually grown with a little space between them to stop laterals becoming intertwined and interfering with harvest, and :blink: also because wind blowing the bines against one and other causes damage to the plants.

Funny you should say that, that's exactly what my missus calls me...
Emoticons don't really give an indication of tone and infliction of speech or convey facial gestures accurately ;)

Are you really wanting results, or are you now just hunkering down and doing it just to see if it can be done from these structures?

This is my first year growing hops. Managed to collect 7 varietals all up. I have 2 tubers and a piece of rhizome about 2 inches long of the hop variety Victoria. Last time I saw the piece of rhizome it had a couple of what looked like epicormic buds, ( exactly how I planted it ), but no signs of growth including lack of roots.
I'm considering planting about 300 plants commercially, and would like to do it next year. The variety Victoria appears to offer a good yield with large cones. I'll try and check back with where I obtained my source material as to the quality of the plant.
I have always wanted to have a go at tissue culture and now have a reason. Failing that I'll see if I can get a couple of cuttings later this season and propagate next year after having done more of an evaluation from this years results.
Cuttings would be simpler and my preferred option. :blink:

I plan to give it a go myself to be honest. it's not always hot and humid here! Well, thinking back, the tablelands were quite cold this winter compared to the coast. If I have someone come up here I'll see if hey can dig up a few rhizomes for us to try.
Just found an interesting thread from 2002 which seems promising indeed. Does anyone know Graham Sanders? Is he still active brewing up here.
May have to look into this a bit deeper and order a few different Rhizomes to see how they go?
http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/3975.html#3975-1

Erm... He seems to have a polka dotted past here on AHB, that article/email does raise questions... S'pose we gotta get some rhizomes happening. If you end up getting any I'd happily share costs to get one.

apparently if you can provide your hops with enough artificial light when your sun fks off, your plants will be out of control. you need to provide enough light to emulate the amount of night time that happens at 33* latitude and below

i can't recall what part of the spectrum is needed, but from memory it is relatively easy to provide it in a home based scale compared to a commercial scale

i couldn't be fkd reading this again, but the seppos have some info about growing hops in florida here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/hop-growin...-florida-52264/

hth

id just like to say at this point.. cheers Doc.. the goldings is fuc*ing outstanding.. growing about an inch a day and will use all of the 6m Ive given it from the look of it... its gone absolutly mental :beerbang:

all chinooks (x3) - small stunted (1 in pot)
POR which I thought was dead - showing signs (pot)
Tett - effed if I know - presume building roots (pot)
cascade - effed if I know (pot)

pisses me off actually.. out of all that I planted the one going spastic is for the missus's beers... Im sure the others will do their thing in due course.. patience is not a stong point of mine ;) <_<

some photos of my cascades, just transplanted from pots to the newly built (building!) pergola
hope they handle the move okay. were in the pots for about 6 weeks and have 5 shoots each

23102011059.jpg

here's the second one. sorry, didnt shrink them after downloading from the phone. hope they dont find the jarrah posts too big to wrap themselves around. rhizomes were bought from Rupert at Hops West.

23102011061.jpg

It'll be fine. Throw some twine down the sunny side of the post if you're worried.

here's the second one. sorry, didnt shrink them after downloading from the phone. hope they dont find the jarrah posts too big to wrap themselves around. rhizomes were bought from Rupert at Hops West.

nice horse you have there too

i got 3 on to bines now. woohoo i need to keep the fertilizer on to them and the water and i should be right for a few weeks...

sorry for the blurriness of the shot..

Photo0411.jpg

These little babies (POR) popped up three weeks ago.

309562_10150422039778829_646173828_10200759_1767175370_n.jpg

But after reading through this thread, I now have hop envy!

My 4 plants - unfortunately don't know what is what, but they are all growing nicely. PoR, EKG, Tettnang, Cluster

6c2c6cbd.jpg

83cea408.jpg

68d3a95c.jpg

7b22f32a.jpg

I was wondering is it possible to keep your hop plants at a height of about 1.5 metres and still have them produce flowers?

:icon_offtopic: Slightly OT - Was camping up at Stringybark Creek camp gound in Toombullup State Forest on the weekend and took an easy track which came onto a road and came across Ellerslie Hop Farm

IMG_0328__Small_.JPG

IMG_0326__Small_.JPG

IMG_0324__Small_.JPG

Reminded me of being in New Norfolk, Tassie - only a lot less traffic. Obviously not a great deal to see at this point in time - but closer to picking its going to be a sight to see

I was wondering is it possible to keep your hop plants at a height of about 1.5 metres and still have them produce flowers?

Dunno about that, my willamette didn't produce any cones below 2m but YMMV.

Some varieties are dwarf hops (first gold is the only one I see from a quick google), maybe have a look around at which ones are available for the future.

This is a photo of my saaz for some reason it is missing the top of its bine and is starting to shoot out small laterals does it still have any hope of producing anything this year? :unsure:

Saaz_Hops_1.jpg

Back