2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey hop fiends

I have a 2nd year POR... thats not growing, and a goldings thats been in dirt for 2 weeks and is taking over.

Question.......... WTF is wrong with the POR........ its looked like a bushy little green ball for about a month and has not grown.

The goldings has gone from half dead root to this in 2 weeks! See the arrow pointing out shoots heading out a long way from the root stock..... i broke tnem off!

and ideas why the POR has started well but wont grow up?

Goldinsa with stray shoots.......

EKGhop110121a.jpg

2nd year POR that wont grow any more.

PORwontgrow.jpg

PS..... the sticks are to stop the wifes car (edit: had to leave that one there.... CAT) killing the plants by sl;eping on the mulch..... I HATE CATS!

you killed it!! lol I think they stop every now and then my POR threw its shoots then stopped and its been about 2 and half weeks seems to be growing every day. The chinook though hasnt moved in 3 weeks its just a few leaves so hope it gets going soon.

its fine tony, its just getting ready for a huge growth, by the way its a beautiful shade of green

cheers steve

Hey hop fiends
Question.......... WTF is wrong with the POR........ its looked like a bushy little green ball for about a month and has not grown.

Oh Tony you're such a tool, the arrow is pointing to a rose bush! Whilst the flowers might be ok for flavouring perhaps a wit, it won't give the same results as hops. :D

Give it time Tony,it will take off later on.

Oh Tony you're such a tool, the arrow is pointing to a rose bush! Whilst the flowers might be ok for flavouring perhaps a wit, it won't give the same results as hops. :D

Give it time Tony,it will take off later on.

Monkey man, I think if you look closely at the end of the arrow there is a small hop shoot emerging, to which he was referring. :huh:

Not sure if any other Kiwis have posted pics of their hops...
Got a few long cuttings from a friends garden and chopped them up to see what would happen. Some planted in a pot and a couple in a glass of water.
I have no idea what variety it is, but hey...gives me an idea on how they may grow here and I go from there.
I live in Havelock North in Hawkes Bay, which is called the "Fruit Bowl of New Zealand" so hopefully good growing conditions. We have plenty of sunlight thats for sure!

Placed about 10 sticks in this little pot. They have all sprouted and obviously have good roots as when I tried to pull one out they all wanted to come at once.
Will have to wet them and carefully seperate them before repotting.
SAM_0406.jpg

Feck me them sure is good growing conditions in NZ! Looks more like grape vine cuttings or something woody like gooseberries! They seem to me to be very robust cuttings; if they grow like that make sure they don't cover your house or steal your car! :D I have not seen them that woody or with buds like that before; you sure they're not grapes or something?

Oh Tony you're such a tool, the arrow is pointing to a rose bush! ...
You do realise there is actually a bine being pointed to? I think that
rose bush ought to be a bit worried tho'

T.

(or are we have having a wee bit of sport there? )

Ok lads, move along ... nothing to see here.

Monkey man, I think if you look closely at the end of the arrow there is a small hop shoot emerging, to which he was referring. :huh:

Thank you strawberry man, maybe you missed the important part = " :D "

:p = I am now taking the piss outa you too. How're your root tuberish thingy tissue cultures going, turned into rhizomes yet?

Edit: yes Tom, sport it is.

Tony ... I have no idea .. just thought I would say that !!

But .. I have 2 x 1st year Cascade in exactly the same mix of soil, no more than 8 feet apart .. one went off like a fire cracker and has 3 shoots but has stopped growing whilst the other has put off 2 shoots and they just have not really grown even with dynamic lifter, seasol, water and heaps of sun light and they are in a warm spot within my garden ...

who knows they may just take off like a sexy woman on the rebound .. or they may just be like a 17 yr old school girl and very tempermental .... (I must say I am not into 17 yr old girls - just using the expression) ... but have been known to like to be a rebound for hot chicks though;-0

Mine have done that but I'm pretty sure that in my case, the ambient temperature (daytime highs of 5-10C with lows at or below freezing) was to blame. Does your POR have a line of sight to the morning sun? My hops with an eastern exposure do noticeably better than the ones with a western view. Soil temperature (morning soil temperature) seems to be pretty important.

At any rate, don't worry about it as it will eventually decide to start growing like mad.

Tony ... I have no idea .. just thought I would say that !!

But .. I have 2 x 1st year Cascade in exactly the same mix of soil, no more than 8 feet apart .. one went off like a fire cracker and has 3 shoots but has stopped growing whilst the other has put off 2 shoots and they just have not really grown even with dynamic lifter, seasol, water and heaps of sun light and they are in a warm spot within my garden ...

who knows they may just take off like a sexy woman on the rebound .. or they may just be like a 17 yr old school girl and very tempermental .... (I must say I am not into 17 yr old girls - just using the expression) ... but have been known to like to be a rebound for hot chicks though;-0
yeah best wait till they are 18

hey newguy do you have any references to the soil temp thing?

Mine have done that but I'm pretty sure that in my case, the ambient temperature (daytime highs of 5-10C with lows at or below freezing) was to blame. Does your POR have a line of sight to the morning sun? My hops with an eastern exposure do noticeably better than the ones with a western view. Soil temperature (morning soil temperature) seems to be pretty important.

At any rate, don't worry about it as it will eventually decide to start growing like mad.

The POR has great morning sun.......... We have had cool days here so far and its just warming up soi m expecting it to explode and take over the house...... im just a bit worried as ittook off like a rocket with long shoots like the new Goldings plant last year not a week after it was in the dirt.

The goldings gets mid to late arvo sun so i would say it has a higher ground temp...... probably what it is.

cheers :)

I wish I had a digital camera - we just had an attack of the 'golf ball sized hail' business - almost all the tips and leaves from the young hops have been destroyed. There was much wailing in the village...

The more established ones are ok, and I'm sure with a bit of sunshine the others will recover, but nonetheless a bit of a kick in the guts as a povvo student who legitimately grows hops to brew with and not just for the novelty!!!!

edit: the hersbrucker rhizome is from an aggressive 2nd year plant and is still fine if anyone wants to come and grab it...

Thank you strawberry man, maybe you missed the important part = " :D "

:p = I am now taking the piss outa you too. How're your root tuberish thingy tissue cultures going, turned into rhizomes yet?

Edit: yes Tom, sport it is.

Are you sure you're name isn't Sheldon Cooper, ergo you know how to do sarcasm but don't understand when someone else does it?
Re the tubers, I did dig them up after they had been in the ground for about a month and they dad grown fine hairlike roots, no sign of any buds developing. That was maybe nearly two months ago. I am planning to dig them up again soon and am thinking of tissue culturing from the fine rootlets. B)
Might take some pics for show and tell. :lol:

Last year I planted 2 rhizomes and with a bit of nursing and spent grain going their way, they both shot off going ~2.5-3 meters high to the top of my 'trellis' before I had to abandon them and move up here. Now my sis tells me they are everywhere and fornicating with the basil bush!!!

Eagerly awaiting pics and future parcel of hops :)

What time should I be looking at advising to pluck the hop flowers?! It's hallertau and going by it's vigorous froth in the first year I'm pretty sure it's taken over that patch in the herb garden this year.
Hey mate,
I have read the guides to growing hops and am just wondering if anyone has had any success growing hops up here in the Far North. I know it is a bit out of there temp range but was thinking that maybe if rhizomes are planted in the middle of winter there would be the possibility of a an early crop as summer came on. Must give it a go next year. Will research different strains and see if I can find a hotter growing one. Any help would be appreciated. maybe better planting conditions on the tablelands hey. I live in the hills west of mission beach so is a little cooler.
Todd

I plan to give it a go myself to be honest. it's not always hot and humid here! Well, thinking back, the tablelands were quite cold this winter compared to the coast. If I have someone come up here I'll see if hey can dig up a few rhizomes for us to try.

I wish I had a digital camera - we just had an attack of the 'golf ball sized hail' business - almost all the tips and leaves from the young hops have been destroyed. There was much wailing in the village...

The more established ones are ok, and I'm sure with a bit of sunshine the others will recover, but nonetheless a bit of a kick in the guts as a povvo student who legitimately grows hops to brew with and not just for the novelty!!!!

edit: the hersbrucker rhizome is from an aggressive 2nd year plant and is still fine if anyone wants to come and grab it...

i know your pain, two years ago we had three large hail storms come through in January and completely shred my plants, at least it has happened early in the season so your plants will have time to throw up more shoots. I have notice that if a bine gets too many damaged leaves then the plant gives up on that bine and it just stops growing.

cheers matho

I have read the same and have around 40 bines in my second year plants. I did nothing to the rhizomes over winter and now I've got maybe 8 or so bines coming up from from around the areas where each bines appeared last year. Has anyone in a non-commercial environmant actually tried both leaving all the bines to grow and cutting all bar 3 to 6 back? What effect does this have on the yield? I've googled and AHB searched but everyone just seems to be quoting the theory of 3 to 6 bines per plant but I haven't heard of anyone who's actually tried both. Is this just from ease of harvest or is yield actually better with less bines?
e

cant remember were i seen it but apperantly the reason that the commercial farmers keep theyre hops to 2 bines is simply for the harvesting machinry.
if they go for any more it stops the machine due to the excess growth. the advice of the expert was at home to just let them go because there would be no advantage to keep it down to 2 bines in a home situation. i didnt trim back the bines on my hallertau last year and got around 300 grams dry off it in its first year.

Are you sure you're name isn't Sheldon Cooper, ergo you know how to do sarcasm but don't understand when someone else does it?

Re the tubers, I did dig them up after they had been in the ground for about a month and they dad grown fine hairlike roots, no sign of any buds developing. That was maybe nearly two months ago. I am planning to dig them up again soon and am thinking of tissue culturing from the fine rootlets. B)
Might take some pics for show and tell. :lol:

Funny you should say that, that's exactly what my missus calls me...
Emoticons don't really give an indication of tone and infliction of speech or convey facial gestures accurately ;)

Are you really wanting results, or are you now just hunkering down and doing it just to see if it can be done from these structures?

Hey mate,
I have read the guides to growing hops and am just wondering if anyone has had any success growing hops up here in the Far North. I know it is a bit out of there temp range but was thinking that maybe if rhizomes are planted in the middle of winter there would be the possibility of a an early crop as summer came on. Must give it a go next year. Will research different strains and see if I can find a hotter growing one. Any help would be appreciated. maybe better planting conditions on the tablelands hey. I live in the hills west of mission beach so is a little cooler.
Todd

I think I have heard of some folks in northern areas, or southern for the yanks, who put their rhizomes in the fridge for a few months before planting out. The same process as can be used with bulbs. Even though I am in the Adelaide region, this year I had some parent crowns left in pots or planted out in the garden bed and they are being eclipsed by the smaller rhizomes that I had in the fridge.

Last year I had one Chinook rhizome about 2cm in diameter and 20cm long with only a couple of buds on it that was stored in the fridge for a few months and it grew enough in one season to be able to make a harvest ale.

I could be wrong but I thought that generally high alpha varieities do better in warmer areas. It may not be the temperature that is as critical as the daylight length, us southerners have longer days in summer with a drawn out twilight. Other than that I believe it can get chilly in winter in the tablelands so who knows? With a high summer rainfall area too, I'd look at getting good drainage for them.

Back