2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after a while.... like watching paint dry!

you should be ok to plant - don't expect too much in your first year for the hops though

Thanks... Yeh i dont expect much first year but something is better than nothing...

Its my first year and as long as they grow I will be a happy man ... flowers next year .. and the year after .. the year after ... excetera .... excetera ... you know the drill ...

But next year I am hoping for a couple of new varieties .. Cascade is tops .. dont get me wrong ... with 5 shoots across 2 pots I am stoked !!!!

self suffiency in hops would be the ultimate !!!

This is my mate's goldings plant. Only planted first week in September. His chinook and cascade are piddly, but at least the cascade has some runners. Planted mine at the same time. They have lots of leaves but not manu long runners and not growing at this rate.
IMG_1474_1_.JPG

Sorry about sideways view.

This is my mate's goldings plant. Only planted first week in September. His chinook and cascade are piddly, but at least the cascade has some runners. Planted mine at the same time. They have lots of leaves but not manu long runners and not growing at this rate.
View attachment 49075

Sorry about sideways view.

How high a frame are you growing them on mate?

my golding is yet to come up. Thinking all the rain we had has killed it. Oh well POR is starting to grow now the suns out but chinook hasnt moved in few weeks. I would put some liquid feed on them but 3 days and it hasnt rained but the ground is still plenty moist enough.

How high a frame are you growing them on mate?

That frame is only about 1.25m but there are strings from the top of that up to his kitchen window (second story). The rate they are growing it will be up there by end of November.

That frame is only about 1.25m but there are strings from the top of that up to his kitchen window (second story). The rate they are growing it will be up there by end of November.

Something nice to look out the window at mate. I'm making plans for next year and trying to work out the height thing. Had a few ideas but SWMBO has vetoed them all so far.

Here's my 5 varieties. First two are second year, the other three are at least third year rhizomes and going ballistic. Rose bush behind the Goldings will get cut back down once it flowers.

Cluster
IMG_1951.jpg

Chinook
IMG_1948.jpg

Goldings, around a metre tall now.
IMG_1945.jpg

Tettnanger
IMG_1943.jpg

Cascade
IMG_1938.jpg

Hi one of my saaz is only just sprouting now, is it a little late to be productive or should it still have a chance at producing a few cones for its first season?

most first year plants dont produce enough for one brew so I wouldnt be worrying. It will put most of its energy into the roots.

Goldings is going pretty crazy for its first year, this is growing up a 2m weld mesh trellis.

goldings__1_of_1_.jpg

Chinook is sending up one shoot pretty fast, climbing about 1cm/day I reckon!

chinook__1_of_1_.jpg

Here are my hops....
Third year Hallertau...
Must be all the chook poo...going nuts !!!!
hallertau2011.JPG

my plants got all smashed up by the hot dry winds that qld had a couple of weeks ago. they seem to have survived, but the goldings is by far the worst. pity as it was the most advanced when they were planter in the boxes. I trimmed the dead bit of the bine and it is now throwing some more lateral shoots, hopefully these continue the march upward

Image0459.jpg

por or casceade - can't remember which box this is a picture of
Image0457.jpg

chinook
Image0458.jpg

Not sure if any other Kiwis have posted pics of their hops...
Got a few long cuttings from a friends garden and chopped them up to see what would happen. Some planted in a pot and a couple in a glass of water.
I have no idea what variety it is, but hey...gives me an idea on how they may grow here and I go from there.
I live in Havelock North in Hawkes Bay, which is called the "Fruit Bowl of New Zealand" so hopefully good growing conditions. We have plenty of sunlight thats for sure!

Just took this one out of the glass of water it was in and potted it after it sprouted about 20 roots which were 3-5cm in length....and it had grown vigorously to about 80cm+ long.
Pretty sure it's added a good couple of cm after only a day or two in the pot!
SAM_0405.jpg

Placed about 10 sticks in this little pot. They have all sprouted and obviously have good roots as when I tried to pull one out they all wanted to come at once.
Will have to wet them and carefully seperate them before repotting.
SAM_0406.jpg

Last year I planted 2 rhizomes and with a bit of nursing and spent grain going their way, they both shot off going ~2.5-3 meters high to the top of my 'trellis' before I had to abandon them and move up here. Now my sis tells me they are everywhere and fornicating with the basil bush!!!

Eagerly awaiting pics and future parcel of hops :)

What time should I be looking at advising to pluck the hop flowers?! It's hallertau and going by it's vigorous froth in the first year I'm pretty sure it's taken over that patch in the herb garden this year.

So at what time of the year do the hops start producing flowers and i have been told to use liquid pot ash to encourage the formation of flowers does this help?

So at what time of the year do the hops start producing flowers and i have been told to use liquid pot ash to encourage the formation of flowers does this help?

re: pot ash - Probably but fertiliser is not needed. Hops are like weeds. Some sun and water is more than enough.

People who kill hops are the reason plastic plants were invented :lol:

Latest posts

Back