2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone put the spent hops from brew day on/around their hops as mulch?

Just wondering where to put them all

HC
Be careful. I read that hops are very toxic to dogs. :unsure:

It should work, but it will be a PITA to unweave the dead bines after the season is over.

unweave them with fire!

bit of fumes from heated up galvanising never hurt anyone :ph34r:

Anyone planted hops with the ground shaded but sunny once they grow up a bit?

I've got a nice spot on the south side of a 1m fence, seems it would stay more moist there than in full sun (in Perth). The only problem is whether it can grow fast enough while it's shaded.

i have plenty of this nylon fencing laying around so i would probably just cut it off and replace it with a new lot.

Hopefully we will actually see some spring weather in Sydney soon.

I've got a nice spot on the south side of a 1m fence, seems it would stay more moist there than in full sun (in Perth). The only problem is whether it can grow fast enough while it's shaded.

I think Raven19 has one on the south side of a shed. You could always use a mirror, maybe a shiny piece of galv iron. :blink:

Hi,
I planted these hops in 45cm Diameter, 35cm Deep pots and only use seasol for fertilizing and was wondering if they be able to yeild much in a pot of this size due to i will be moving in the next 6 months and dont want to be planting them in the ground? and does any one use powerfeed for their hops?
Thanks
Cameron

Saaz___3_WEEKS.jpg

Mt_Hood___3_Weeks.jpg

I just looked at my plants during the half time break of the world cup ... and I have scored an extra shoot !!! YAY ... 4 turns into 5 .... I have to say if the Wallabies win today ... Its my XMAS !!!

CARN the Wallabies ...

I know what you are getting at, MKJ. I have planted mine on the south side of a colourbond fence in hope of shielding them from the pathetic easterlies we get here in the morning during Summer. Last year they didn't do too well. Here is a pic of the cascades in the ground (3rd season now) that don't get direct sun on the ground until about 11:00.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And this one off the same cascade crown planted this season which gets the sun up until about 1pm. However come Summer it will blasted nearly everyday by the poxy easterlies :(

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After this season I am thinking of trying to squeeze them down the other side of my house so that they can still get most of the morning sun yet have the shielding from the winds. Did I mention that I hate the easterly winds.

I just looked at my plants during the half time break of the world cup ... and I have scored an extra shoot !!! YAY ... 4 turns into 5 .... I have to say if the Wallabies win today ... Its my XMAS !!!

CARN the Wallabies ...

Cooper is playing like crap! Then again he's not the only one.

Blimey that was close. Not sure the best team won ... but the best team won!

I think this is karma for the French victory yesterday. :lol:

Couldn't agree more. All Blacks next week though I fear.............I really fear........

how about the wallabies defence though..
All that possession and they couldn't score a single try? Suck a fat one, springbocks.

anyway, hops are awesome. My cascade is about 1.5m up the string already, go you good thing!

how about the wallabies defence though..
All that possession and they couldn't score a single try? Suck a fat one, springbocks.

anyway, hops are awesome. My cascade is about 1.5m up the string already, go you good thing!

How do you grow them up here?

in the ground mate. plenty of manure mixed in with the soil, water every day that it doesn't rain, and seasol every two weeks.
Brisbane not Sunny Coast BTW, not sure if would make a huge difference.

1st year rhizomes so I'm not expecting much of a yield, but fingers crossed! they seem to be happy enough.

in the ground mate. plenty of manure mixed in with the soil, water every day that it doesn't rain, and seasol every two weeks.
Brisbane not Sunny Coast BTW, not sure if would make a huge difference.

1st year rhizomes so I'm not expecting much of a yield, but fingers crossed! they seem to be happy enough.

I've got to give it a crack next year. How do you get the rhizomes?

keep an eye on this forum in winter, more than a few posters here dig up their rhizomes and offer cuttings for a small fee. Have a sniff around it might not be too late for this season

I'll keep a look out then and see how I go.

I checked on my hops today and i have a few shoots coming up. Looking good but how do i tell if i have Hallertau or POR? I believe i have Hallertau.

Also should i cut the pants so i only have one main shoot or just let them go and see which one becomes dominant?

Photo0399.jpg

Photo0398.jpg

Back