2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planted my Chinook donated by thylacine on the 26/8 and only now has it emerged....just. I've been like an expecting father pacing up and down checking it day and night. Hopefully the sunshine stays around to get it grooving along...so proud.

Nibbo .. I am with you there .. I too am a proud father of 4 shoots from my 2 Cascades ... not sure what to call them as yet .. but the christening may have to wait until it flowers ;-) .... congrats on your recent arrival...

Planted my Chinook donated by thylacine on the 26/8 and only now has it emerged....just. I've been like an expecting father pacing up and down checking it day and night. Hopefully the sunshine stays around to get it grooving along...so proud.

Patience 'Grasshopper'. Your new chinook is part of the central rhizome, not a bit of distant root. My chinook is also the last to emerge this year. RDWHAHB

Cheers... :icon_cheers:

My Chinook is taking a very long time to pop it's head up this year....but crikey when Chinook gets growing it FLIES skyward.

I bought three 4th year rhizomes in Autumn. Goldings, Cascade and Tettnanger. Got the three of them in growbags. The Goldings is going mental, the Tettnang isn't too far behind and the Cascade is starting slowly. All of them are miles ahead of my 2nd year Cluster and Chinook!

My POR & Goldings from DrSmurto:

POR:

IMG_2320.JPG

Goldings:

IMG_2315.JPG

Still just babies, but with loads of potential :)

My 2nd year hops. A Mt Hood in the black pot and a Chinook in the Purple. Did get a few cones off them last year but not anywhere enough to use. Hoping to get enough for a couple of SMASH brews this year.

MtHood_2ndYear_sm.jpg

Chinook_2ndYear_sm.jpg

My hops have been in the pot for about 3 weeks now.
Buried about 50-70mm below the surface.
60L black garbage bins with 2.5 bags of potting mix each.
Osmocote controlled release for Pots, Planters and Indoors, mixed in as per destructions.

First season hops for me, but big_dazza27 had them for 2 seasons prior (Cheers Dazza :beer:)
Chinook has 12 sprouts already.
Columbus only has 2 sprouts but going hard none the less.

2011_10_05_Chinook.jpg

2011_10_05_Columbus.jpg

My hops have been in the pot for about 3 weeks now.
Buried about 50-70mm below the surface.
60L black garbage bins with 2.5 bags of potting mix each.
Osmocote controlled release for Pots, Planters and Indoors, mixed in as per destructions.

First season hops for me, but big_dazza27 had them for 2 seasons prior (Cheers Dazza :beer:)
Chinook has 12 sprouts already.
Columbus only has 2 sprouts but going hard none the less.

Nice money tree!

Anyone who bought rhizomes from me and hasn't seen any growth please PM me.

Mine haven't grown yet :(

They are still in the fridge though :lol:
Should do something about that tomorrow

hi guys,
been wanting to try my hand at hop growing but don't have a back yard.

Does this work ok?

Hops1.JPG

Is it as simple as getting a hop rhizome and planting it in a pot on my balcony, wrap some string or steel wire around a couple of poles and feed the hop vine around the thread?

Spoke with a mate today who said his hops seemed to produce more cones 2+ meters from the base plant.

thanks
Bjorn

Good luck in getting your hops to grow sideways.
Mine only want to go in one direction -- that is straight up.

regards

Graeme

course you can... thay can be trained along lines horizontally... you will have to talk to them nicer ;)

Pics are not mine but just a quick search

2.JPG 1.JPG

Mine went vetical 2m and then horizontal 2m last year, but that was a first year plant, expecting them to go further this time.

All the cones were on the horizontal part of the vine, so the first 2m didn't grow any.

Found 4-5 snails roaming around my chinnok this morning....needless to say they got thrown over the fence and snail bait was laid...that'll teach 'em!!!

thanks guys, sounds like something I should try :D

thanks
Bjorn

This is only my second season growing hops, having said that I got over 3kg dry weight of hops last year. I didn't find any real difficulty in getting the bines to grow sideways - no constant training except for the ones that went horizontally from N - S. The ones going S - N are happy because they are still growing towards the sun perhaps? They just took off and went wherever I had string lines for them. Having said that each plant also had a 2.5m vertical as well so they were able to go wherever they wanted.

I was a nervous wreck last year filling this forum with stoopid questions and comments (well, that actually applies to all the threads I guess, not just the hop-growing ones), but hops are pretty hardy and can fend for themselves pretty well as long as you play the basic gardening game with them. My advice to anyone reading - not just Bjorn - is just give it a go - they like sun and water and a bit of a feed. They are slightly more maintenance than _______ (insert local noxious weed), but only because you actually care about the flower yield haha.

Cheers all. :icon_cheers:

.... is just give it a go - they like sun and water and a bit of a feed. They are slightly more maintenance than _______ (insert local noxious weed), but only because you actually care about the flower yield haha.

Cheers all. :icon_cheers:

are you suggesting we dont care about flower yield on ______? my friend... I beg to differ... lol

Years ago I had success in growing _______ horizontally as well, a bit of string (and talking nicely to them) goes a long long way :lol:

Yob

Wow ... you can grow tomatoes horizontally ??? does this change the productivity of the plant? more or less ?? I am personally stunned and amazed in this!! I am going to have a go at it with an oxheart and see what it does ...

Incredible discovery !!

Thanks guys .. ;-)

There's just no controlling context on the internet - I was thinking more like blackberry, sorrell, broome in order to draw a comparison with just how easy hops are when they get going!!! Bloody hell now I'll get in trouble for starting all this!!! :lol:

Back