2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two binds from a Goldings rhizome

Hops_Goldings.JPG

One bind from a POR rhizome

Hops_POR.JPG

Both were got from DrSmurto.. Cheers

Put all my strings up this evening. Even wound some bines on. Getting some serious growth from all my plants.

Here is my Hersbrucker on the right. Saaz on the left. I have mine in 52L pots from Bunnings. Used stakes to wind twine in a zig zag. Hoping this will make the most of my lack of vertical space. It allows about 11 feet of growing space. I may then drape them back down the twine if they will grow down. Long way to go still tho. First time growing and im obsessed!

Also have a Challenger which is in ground next to my shed which im gonna train up over it. Love Challenger...

Hops1.JPG

Hops2.JPG

Hallertau stuck its head out a couple weeks ago and Hersbrucker made an appearance yesterday, praying for a better season than last year.

holy root zone batman!!

I got given a pot on the weekend containing Chinook Rhizomes... went to re-pot it this morning and found

1.JPG this :blink:

I think this one 2.JPG is going to the train line... I have 4 chinooks!! Not enough backyard!! Oh woe is me!!

tett is going gang busters!! 3.JPG

Yob

[edit] On Ya Si... ya didnt tell me there were two in there... lol

IMG_1467.JPG

Here is my goldings. Picture files are big so I'll do one at a time.

My friend planted his at the same time and he has some big runners whereas mine is a bit slow.

Harvest now complete up in this part of the northern hemisphere, although I still have a bit left to dry. 7.2 kg dried and vacuum packed in the freezer so far with another ~400-600g still to go once it's dried. Centennial and Mt Hood were my superstars this year with over 1.5 kg obtained from each. Really glad I bought a big dehydrator - it sure made things easy. B)

Harvest now complete up in this part of the northern hemisphere, although I still have a bit left to dry. 7.2 kg dried and vacuum packed in the freezer so far with another ~400-600g still to go once it's dried. Centennial and Mt Hood were my superstars this year with over 1.5 kg obtained from each. Really glad I bought a big dehydrator - it sure made things easy. B)
That's a lot of hops, good gardening. How long have you had them in the ground?

That's a lot of hops, good gardening. How long have you had them in the ground?

This was year 3. The hops in my back yard do the best, while the hops adjacent to the driveway do only okay, and the two in my front yard don't do very well at all. Up until July we had a huge blue spruce tree in the front yard but we had it removed because it was completely poisoning the soil all around it. That and its needles and cones kept clogging the eavestroughs on the house. I think it was the primary reason why the front yard and driveway hops don't yield very well. Hopefully now that it's gone those hops will fare better.

So, Melbourne has had some filthy weather the last 2 days and this just happens to coincide with my hops, which had recently been growing like weeds, to start wilting and looking like they are about to die... so is it the weather and rain thats the cause of my hops looking pretty dismal, or should i start looking for other causes??

Forget Nikobrew or Hops Direct. I'm calling NewGuy!

Fark mate. Great job!

New plants leaves have like dead bits around the edges, any idea what would cause that? Thought might have something to do with them being against a wall and scraping on it with the winds we've had in perth lately but not sure. (or maybe heat reflecting off the wall?)

An incredible Harvest for sure .... well done newguy !!!! I am hoping for enough to do one brew ... but 7.2 kgs dried ... priceless ...

hey wft is eavestrough? a hop disease?
eavestrough.jpg

Not a hop disease so much as a hop support and pine needle catching device. :p

Just finished bagging the last of them. Not a bad haul!

Hallertauer: 1060g
Centennial: 1980g (this is from 2 plants, but one of them only yielded maybe 300g)
Cascade: 800g
Mt. Hood: 1645g
Fuggle: 445g
Willamette: 830g
Sterling: 310g
Golding: 410g

Total of almost 7.5kg - more than I'll use this year!

Latest posts

Back