2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 48698

Not a hop disease so much as a hop support and pine needle catching device. :p

Just finished bagging the last of them. Not a bad haul!

Hallertauer: 1060g
Centennial: 1980g (this is from 2 plants, but one of them only yielded maybe 300g)
Cascade: 800g
Mt. Hood: 1645g
Fuggle: 445g
Willamette: 830g
Sterling: 310g
Golding: 410g

Total of almost 7.5kg - more than I'll use this year!

ohhhh, that sort of eavestrough

congrats on the harvest anyway!

Im surprised you can even find your house mate!! would love to see some more photo's if you havnt cut them all down yet..

Yob

Sorry, they've all been hacked down. Always a sad time for me - I love the vines and the shade they provide. Just feels wrong to cut them off but on the bright side I know they'll be back fuller & greener next year.

"...Not a hop disease so much as a hop support and pine needle catching device. :p..."

I also use our north facing guttering to support hops. eg pics attached. Metal strips slip into existing 'overflow' slots in guttering. Strips sourced at local hardware store and they come with holes as well. ie. for line/cord/etc so hops can travel along.

gutter.jpg

guttertypes.jpg

So, Melbourne has had some filthy weather the last 2 days and this just happens to coincide with my hops, which had recently been growing like weeds, to start wilting and looking like they are about to die... so is it the weather and rain thats the cause of my hops looking pretty dismal, or should i start looking for other causes??

hops have withered and are now dead...

hops have withered and are now dead...
Mate,
Sorry to hear that...all this rain has made mine thrive....but mine have been in the ground for 3 years....
Maybe your root stock was water logged and not enough drainage ?
Was it beeing eaten by something ?
Dog or cat pissing on it ?
How old were they ?

Had time today to try and investigate problem with my hops:
problem1.jpg

Think I found part if not all of the problem, pretty hard to spot when they lie flat:
problem.jpg

Pulled off the ones I could find and sprayed rest of plant with pyrethrum oil stuff, hopefully this gets them.

There were a few questions some posts ago about hops spreading and how closely different varieites should be planted etc. Some suggest that two metres is too close. Just remember that new shoots can travel below the surface before popping up...

The picture below, just a first year rhizome (divided from my parent crown and planted out to give a bigger planting area) is a reasonably small spread but you get the idea of how they can spread out. Maybe next year it could travel further out from this point and so on...
chinook12102011small.jpg

Mate,
Sorry to hear that...all this rain has made mine thrive....but mine have been in the ground for 3 years....
Maybe your root stock was water logged and not enough drainage ?
Was it beeing eaten by something ?
Dog or cat pissing on it ?
How old were they ?

well im not sure, I think there was enough drainage, it has a plastic grate on the bottom of the pot plant and then the bottom is filled with tanbark (didnt have sand) so it could drain all right... the only think i can think is that there was too much rain :s

If the plant is withered, is the whole root system dead?

If the plant is withered, is the whole root system dead?

I could not tell you but don't dig it up to see. Continue as if it is all good and see if it throws new bines later.

Finally got my camera back so here's my 2nd year Willamette, about 40 shoots there and more popping up, too many to train.
hop.jpg

Finally got my camera back so here's my 2nd year Willamette, about 40 shoots there and more popping up, too many to train.

cant you train 3 or so per line? this is what I was planning to do with the Cascade Rhizome I was given... train all the bines up to a single line on the trellis and let them sort themselvs out,

the thought was to keep different varietys on seperate Trellis lines but same variety to grow together??? I ferkin hope so otherwise Im in trouble :unsure:

Have a look at DrSmurto's 'trellis' from last year's thread. He has some concrete reinforcing, steel mesh, supported by a timber frame. He has some older hops with vast numbers of shoots and just lets them do their thing up the steel mesh. It seems to work well.

Planted mine quiet a while ago still no shots.. Whats normal?

cant you train 3 or so per line? this is what I was planning to do with the Cascade Rhizome I was given... train all the bines up to a single line on the trellis and let them sort themselvs out,

Yeah 3 per line was what I did last year, going to do it again. I only have 5 lines though, I can maybe add 2 more if I fart around with my trellis.

Planted mine quiet a while ago still no shots.. Whats normal?
Unfortunately no such thing as normal - to many variables.

I have 4 plants, only one really took off and produced a few hops, this year the other 3 plants are growing strong with the 4th only just putting showing 2 bines poking out of the ground.

Yeah 3 per line was what I did last year, going to do it again. I only have 5 lines though, I can maybe add 2 more if I fart around with my trellis.

I had 5-6 lines from the ground to the fence and had several bines per line last season. Once a few are on the rest seem to latch on by themselves.

Yet to do anything about them this year, still havent removed the dead bines from last season......

Anyone who bought rhizomes from me and hasn't seen any growth please PM me.

Still no sign of life from my 2nd yr cascade or chinook.. hope they haven't died somehow.

How late is time to start worrying ? I had a bit of a dig to make sure they were still there and found a woody bit but no sign of shoots and didn't want to risk digging around it anymore, it was a bit deep though so have put less soil back on top and put some sugar cane mulch on)

First year saaz is going well.

Back