2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuggle

Reaction score
2011 Hop Plantations, Show us your hops!

2011 Hop Plantations, Show us your hops!

Jumping the gun?
Most folks would be still in the 2010 thread (since that is when they went in the dirt)... :D
Friendly piss take only. I am obsessed with my hops that I put in last year; gotta examine them everyday!

sooooooo... work has begun for the first year of Hop Farming..

first, buy house with backyard with northern aspect, check

3.JPG Staked out Hop Yard (4 plants 2m spacings approx.)

2.JPG T piece will be painted then atached to fence at far end, height about 3 meters (roughtly half way up the trees behind the fence)

1.JPG Need to weld up pole and 't' piece (old roof rack) for other end of yard and secure in ground

total cost 400k+

:lol:

(nothing for materials though)

Thread i have been waiting for.

Have 12 plants up the back in pots that will be planted once spring comes.
Overall there are 6 types, 2 pots each.

Will be planted in two rows, about 1-1.5m apart. Already ripped out the old lemon tree which has kindly donated a grassy patch - just need to start prepping the ground. (Rather rocky / sandy - needs some TLC).

Looking forward to spring.

My Golding and Tett plants are already starting to send up shoots! Better make some proper trellises this year I think...

Thread i have been waiting for.

Have 12 plants up the back in pots that will be planted once spring comes.
Overall there are 6 types, 2 pots each.

Will be planted in two rows, about 1-1.5m apart. Already ripped out the old lemon tree which has kindly donated a grassy patch - just need to start prepping the ground. (Rather rocky / sandy - needs some TLC).

Looking forward to spring.

I would plant further apart then 1M, Try for at least 3M

Bloody hell I still haven't trimmed off the dead growth from last season!!!

one of mine is still green from last year!

One of the cuttings i did has a rhizome bigger than some of the first year rhizomes i planted last year! Amazing. Next year i will be doing heaps of cuttings, they root so easy. No reason for any homebrewer not to have a hop plant, unless they don't have space.

Same, I've done about 1/2 of them, and my sister is getting a bit pissy since they look so messy still.

Yes they have a certain wintery, bleak, Ingmarr Bergman look about them. I am sure that the herbs and vegies around them have slowed down out of sheer depression from seeing the skeletal remains of such a once-vibrant plant.

My columbus in a pot tried to stick up a few shoots the other week when we had 4 days of sunshine in a row. I've just covered them up with a heap of mulch and will wait to see what happens. Smurtos POR and Goldings haven't left the vegie crisper in the fridge haha.

Going to have 7 plants on the go this year (two are goldings so only 6 varieties), 3 will be first year plants though so I don't expect too much from them.

I remember what a nervous wreck I was as of about Oct last year, but they really just grow like weeds. Water and a bit of potash. Laughing. I still have over 2kgs of mixed flowers vac sealed in the freezer!

Nice one.
:icon_cheers:

Rhyzomes next July swap Lec? :lol:

Only if the central heating is on and I haven't fallen over and sprained my foot haha...

I have to work up the courage to dig some up this year for Mesa99!!!

Chinook and POR sitting in the beer fridge with an Amarillo Ale cold conditioning waiting for the frost to pass.. Hopefully they are going strong.. Anyone from the area who can recommend when it is best to plant them?

When do the adds start appearing on Ebay for rhizomes? I was a bit slow off the mark last year and nearly missed out! Hoping to add a Galaxy to the garden this season.

Got my cascade in the ground couple of weeks ago. Already sending up shoots. Despite shitty weather.............

I just started today with chinook, saaz and cascade, first hops plants ....... My understanding is that galaxy, citra, NS and other newer hops are not available for retail. Is that correct?
cheers
BBB

I just started today with chinook, saaz and cascade, first hops plants ....... My understanding is that galaxy, citra, NS and other newer hops are not available for retail. Is that correct?
cheers
BBB

Thats right, they are not commercially available yet, probably a few more years.

any tips for planting in the bacchus marsh region

any tips for planting in the bacchus marsh region

same as anywhere mate, after the last of the frosts or 'when the ground can be turned'. Im stakin the ground out in Ringwood ATM... probably would have been good to turn the holes a month back... theres an article somewhere on it, cant find it quickly but a bit of a search youll find it, alternativly, have a look in the 2010 Hop Plantations or Doc's recent sales and Advice Line topic.

Basicly though as soon as you know frost wont kill the new growth.

:icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back