2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm,
Checking off my list from 5+ months ago they are amarillo - what the hell was i doing at the time?

I may need to look into this...

EDIT: They are MT Hoods, my bad.

Man, you would have been popular if it was amarillo though!

Quick question for people in adelaide-

I'm moving from Adelaide plains (Fullarton) to the hills (Bridgewater) on the 21st Oct... Not sure whether to plant my hops at my mums house (have to squeeze them in somewhere), or leave them in pots for another 6 weeks before putting them in the ground at the new place... Any thoughts? Will planting them out in the middle of growing season be detrimental?

I'm moving from Adelaide plains (Fullarton) to the hills (Bridgewater) on the 21st Oct... Not sure whether to plant my hops at my mums house (have to squeeze them in somewhere), or leave them in pots for another 6 weeks before putting them in the ground at the new place... Any thoughts? Will planting them out in the middle of growing season be detrimental?

Leave them in pots until you are ready to plant them in the ground.

Can't tell if that is sarcastic or not raven...

If the pots are really small and you are trying to get a crop out of them this year, you could always replant into larger pots before putting into the ground when you move. :huh:

Yeah- i was 5 mins from Raven down here too... he might think i'm chasing him :ph34r:

Will the vine climb its way around a large tree if you train it with some twine first?
I've got an ironbark in the back yard about 3' across trunk that would look great with a plant snaking up it.

Will the vine climb its way around a large tree if you train it with some twine first?
I've got an ironbark in the back yard about 3' across trunk that would look great with a plant snaking up it.

I thought of that too, until I considdered the harvest and what a PITA it could become.

you could wrap the twine around the tree but not sure how it will go where it wont get the sun. try it and tell us how it goes :p some one has to do it (if they havnt already)

no pics but mine have just started to peek through. 2nd year plants so I'm wexpecting a better crop than last year.

My Chinook poked its head up a couple of weeks ago and just got a second shoot coming up today.

chinook__1_of_1_.jpg

The Goldings have gone crazy, must be half a dozen shoots 30cm long. Need to get that out of its pot and into the ground asap. I'll get a photo of that too when I can.

One saaz shot up pretty fast now seems to have slowed down a bit, might need to put some seasol or something on it.. 2nd saaz has just put some shoots out.
saaz.jpg

Back