2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All 4 of my plants are showing signs of growth which I'm happy about - 2 pots I can see about 10 or so bines popping through the soil. The pot that hardly grew last year has a bine with nice green leaves about 5cm up through the soil. Last season left them too late before planting them up so was disappointed with the results, but this time they are all looking like strong growers. Still have no idea which is which though.

Dug up the Hersbruker I planted last year. I planted it to close to the Sazz..Started with a rhizome about the size of my hand.

Replanted it allong with some organic potting mix and seasol photo.JPG

After flaffing about not being able to decide how to construct the trellis for my backyard and worrying about potential costs and how ugly it might be and whether it will do what I want it to do. I pulled my finger out and have built it on the weekend. The answer came to me in the guise of fence railings sourced at $14 for a 7 metre length. Individual flag poles at 3.5m (or $7) in height per hop planting!

trellispole1.jpg

Top of 'flagpole' trellis at left, bottom at right.

Note that there is nothing in the horizontal plane so the dammed birds don't have anything to sit and shit on (except for the 50mm end at the top) -an important design consideration for me. I welded and sealed with cold gal. I fixed two plates (to the right in photo above) to teck screw it to the horizontal rails of the fence. The top end of the tube is flattened and welded with 3/4 of a single chain link welded to it to thread the hoisting rope through; a ghetto pulley if you will.

37711243.jpg

Now as the hop flowers ripen, I can lower the whole 3.5m down, one variety at a time to harvest them; no ladders needed. I have tied 5 lengths of thick jute twine to the garden bed (on the one to the right) and the other end go up to near the top where they're hoisted up by a bit of telecom rope through the chain 'pulley'. If I want to add more twine I can just untie the rope from the fence, lower the lot down, attach more and hoist it back up to tension it - flagpole style. I have yet not added jute twine to the middle or left flagpoles.

I will have 4 poles across this side (where you can see three in the photo above) and a fifth one around the corner to the left. They are spaced at just under two meters apart. The wooden stakes are for tomatoes, for some reason the stakes all went in crooked, it must have been how I was holding my tongue.

Dug up the Hersbruker I planted last year. I planted it to close to the Sazz..Started with a rhizome about the size of my hand.

Replanted it allong with some organic potting mix and seasolView attachment 48266

Should you have wanted to make more rhizomes (maybe 10 or so), you could have cut up that longest section to the left. A section of the 'root' at least as long as a pencil with one or two of those white buds on it and there you have it. Plant them near this rhizome for a more dense clump, plant them elsewhere or give away to a mate.

Well I got my hops in their boxes over the weekend. I bought a cubic meter of soil for the boxes and have so much left over it is ridiculous. The boxes are ghetto in style, they are tile creates that have been fitted out with fence palings. Cheap and hopefully wont fall apart for a couple of seasons. I have two Goldings in the big box and one Chinook in the smaller one, one of the Goldings is going for it and the Chinook is popping its head out now. Now to watch em grow.

Edit - better pic

Hop_boxs_1_.jpg

3 out of 4 of my babies survived the bush turkey attack & are showing signs of life:

cascade:
309268_10150287573450976_589890975_8366551_1834203089_n.jpg

cascade:
313027_10150287573235976_589890975_8366547_1836175680_n.jpg

chinook:
312130_10150287573035976_589890975_8366542_2137664649_n.jpg

My hop garden i planted on Sunday.

IMG_9728.jpg

You can just see the individual sticks for each, 2 rows of 5.

They include from L -> R:
- Hallertau
- Chinook
- Columbus
- Goldings
- Amarillo

There are also 2 x Hersbucker further up the back.

Unfortunately they are only a meter apart, but i was dealing with limited space. Next year we plan to remove the tree to the left, and replant. We most likely will be digging in dividers in the meantime.

Goldings:

IMG_9730.jpg

Columbus:

IMG_9729.jpg

^ thats what i was going to say! There must be some funny business going on here...

First cascade shoots are coming through now.

Anyone in Perth have some Spalt or Tettnanger cuttings they want to swap once they've grown a bit more? (or any other interesting types). I've got some Chinook, Cascade and Hersbrucker waiting to appear.

cascade-shoot.jpg

Amarillo is propriety, privately owned and I think it's privately grown as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarillo_hops

Not sure where you got the rhizome from but I'd be questioning whether it's a fake or not.

If you don't call it Amarillo (tm) you're probably OK - plant breeders rights have an exception for non-commercial uses. Of course it could still be fake :)

Interesting that, though I remember hearing somewhere that they don't sell the rhizomes at all, only grow them on their own farm. But I'm not 100% on that.

Latest posts

Back