2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am surprised by how small a section of rhizome is needed (probably not 'optimal' but seems like it can be done).
I had one piece of 'trimming' that was seriously LESS than 2cm long with a bud on it and I planted it in the ground just for the heck of it. I expected it to be too small to grow. It has now thrown a shoot above ground and is working on developing leaves.

They're some serious planters you've got there Kymba!

Just a quick question to the hop gurus out there, I've read a fair bit about training hops up a support trellis or string, and most if not all articles/threads advocate training the bine in a clockwise direction. Do they mean a clockwise direction looking from the top down into the heart of the plant, or does the bine climb the support in a clockwise direction from the ground up? (and so anticlockwise from the 'top-down' perspective).

My Hallertauer is screaming for some support to climb up, just want to get it right from the start.

Cheers,

PE

They're some serious planters you've got there Kymba!

Just a quick question to the hop gurus out there, I've read a fair bit about training hops up a support trellis or string, and most if not all articles/threads advocate training the bine in a clockwise direction. Do they mean a clockwise direction looking from the top down into the heart of the plant, or does the bine climb the support in a clockwise direction from the ground up? (and so anticlockwise from the 'top-down' perspective).

My Hallertauer is screaming for some support to climb up, just want to get it right from the start.

Cheers,

PE

Don't stress; they will show you which way they want to go as the bines start curling themselves.
If you are in the sky looking towards the ground, they curl clockwise.

I think its clockwise looking up. I am sure they will figure it out if you do it wrong lol. They grow following the sun so will grow from left to right looking at the plant. from the suns side if that makes sence

Fair enough - I figured after however many years of evolution they would have it sorted, but thought as I had access to such a knowledge base I'd be foolish not to ask.

Cheers guys.

PE

Fair enough - I figured after however many years of evolution they would have it sorted, but thought as I had access to such a knowledge base I'd be foolish not to ask.

Cheers guys.

PE

It's a question that gets asked a lot, that's all, but no one here is jumping down your throat. When long enough, they will start showing a spiral pattern even without a string. Enjoy your hop growing, it's both rewarding and compulsive!

Thanks Malted, I've used the search function to great success, I guess that's why my participation in the forum has been reasonably limited to this point, must has missed the spiels on that.

Looking forward to dry hopping the bejeesus out of a few ipa's next year :super:

plants - L -> R goldings, POR, cascade, chinook
View attachment 48199

where they will be going
View attachment 48200

just got to finish fabbing up the 4.5m poles and away we go!

You can't count. Four pots into three planter boxes? :p If it were me, I wouldn't put two different varieties into one box; Dr Smurto says repeatedly, plant different varieties (edit: a minimum of) two meters apart. Having said that, I reckon you have it sorted and I suspect there is a fourth box or planting area that couldn't fit into the photo
I assume the poles will be like a flag pole sorta thing so you can lower the bines down to get at them. Looks great so far.

cheers guys - figured it would be easier to build some boxes rather than dig into and condition shitty clay. i will be filling the boxes with mushroom compost, chicken poop, horse poop and straw

and yeah i need to build 2 more boxes as there are actually 2 cascades in the one pot

there will be another pole on the opposite side of the yard about 18m away. I plan to space 2 wires about 1.5m apart and alternate which wire each plant is strung to

and with the hop winding - i didn't. i just put the string near it and it looked after its self. if only infants were like that

On the string winding thing make sure you have some sort of strings in place early. My shoots last year seemed to stall. As soon as I provided them some strings to grab hold of they took off. Even if you use something temporary until you get your main lines up.

294715_10150304941174684_524699683_7725474_290584892_n.jpg

my dodgy setup.... I hop it works ;)

I know it's a little late, but I have chinook, cascade and hallertau rhizomes in large pots ready to go. I planted them last year, and the sprouted but didn't produce any flowers.

I'm happy to off load them to someone for a bottle of their finest (1 bottle, 1 pot with rhizome). PM me if anyone wants em.

Damn Melbourne weather, had plans to replant my hops in a different possition and add fertiliser this weekend......well at least I went to bunnngs and got some potting mix and fertiliser hopefuly the rain will stay away next weekend :blink:

Siborg.. I can get to son she but am interested in the cascade rhizomes would you post within Victoria?

Siborg.. I can get to son she but am interested in the cascade rhizomes would you post within Victoria?
Sorry mate. They are as is, in the pots. I'm not posting them, just want to get rid of them.

cheers guys - figured it would be easier to build some boxes rather than dig into and condition shitty clay. i will be filling the boxes with mushroom compost, chicken poop, horse poop and straw

and yeah i need to build 2 more boxes as there are actually 2 cascades in the one pot

there will be another pole on the opposite side of the yard about 18m away. I plan to space 2 wires about 1.5m apart and alternate which wire each plant is strung to

and with the hop winding - i didn't. i just put the string near it and it looked after its self. if only infants were like that

You can put the 2 cascades in the same box I did with my small hallertau rhizomes.

Which way do hops grow or need to be trained around a string? Is it clockwise or anti clockwise?

A few folks have asked this question. I'll state the basics again. The young bines will curl themsleves around things, even if there is nothing to curl around. It is clockwise if you look up the bines (or from the sky looking down). Here's a picture of a young bine that started curling by itself. I put a small stick in it just for this photo to show it's direction.

hopbinespiralgrowth.jpg

Latest posts

Back