2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now all you need is a couple of strawberries and you'll be laughing. :lol:

If anyone is interested I have a significant number of home garden variety strawberry plants to give away.
You may notice in the image between the mass of strawberries and the long plastic mounds in the background, there are some mounds. They are the homes of my recently aquired Chinook rhizomes.

I hope they grow well mate. Out of interest are the strawberry's good eating too?

Does any one get any attention from undersiables?(re thieves) and the police for the strange looking vines covering there gardens?

Aroma is minimal (until you squeeze the ripe cones), and they don't look like a hooch plant. I don't think you will have any problems fella. These are bines that need a structure/twine to grow up. Their cousins are stand alone (I believe! :D )

I hope they grow well mate. Out of interest are the strawberry's good eating too?

Aroma is minimal (until you squeeze the ripe cones), and they don't look like a hooch plant. I don't think you will have any problems fella. These are bines that need a structure/twine to grow up. Their cousins are stand alone (I believe! :D )

thanks raven.
Just wanted to ask the questions before i plant a vine. Yeah i figured it would be like a passionfruit vine

Hi Raven19. My recently planted hops are beginning to emerge. :) The strawberries just went in less than a week ago but are starting to bound away. Most have flowers and will be fruiting within a couple of weeks!
The strawberries are excellent eating. Home garden varieties have the most flavour. Commercial varieties tend to be 'wooden' because they need to pack well.
Actually, did have an after thought. I probably could mail them if anyone is interested.

Did a rush-job rejuvination of my hop garden this arvo after work after seeing one of the plants starting to shoot. Dug up the old plants, inspected, dug over patch and made it bigger, added fertiliser and replanted last years rhizomes along with two newies (POR and Super Alpha). Of the five I planted last year, I lost two (perhaps they didn't grow at all? They were very close together), Cascade and Mt Hood. Most have begun to shoot so it should not be long until they are clambering up my new 2nd hop pole. Line up now stands at:

Chinook, Chinook #2, Goldings (mega-rhizome), Saaz, Super Alpha, POR.

Bit of a ******* mix, I might try and swap the Saaz for another Cascade next year. I also plan to 'box-up' the hop beds to make the 'which hop is this process easier.

Hey Jace,

I got them from bunnings, I am pretty sure they were called tomato trellis'. Obviously they are no where near high enough, but these are just an experiment initially to get established in the pot for the years to come and perhaps try to grow them horizontal as well. There is no real game plan as yet, I really dont have the space.

Fortunately, I had a mate at work kindly donate me part of his North facing veggie patch where I put some in the ground!

This is the hops in the pots at week 3. Very exciting. My wife looked at me strange when she had a close look at the leaves...

IMG_6897.jpg

IMG_6898.jpg

IMG_6899.jpg

just finished rebuilding the trellis
heres a pic
photo.jpg

the funny thing is that its only for 2 5yr old and one 3rd yr plants. ill post up some more once they take off.

heres a pic

is the main horizontal line up top just rope?

I happen to have some stainless/galved wire (free when a mate come round to mint the hills hoist) I was thinkin of using but not sure if they will grab onto it... I could always run the steel wire for strength and then some string round it for them to grab onto...

nice lookin rig man,

1st signs of life for me is the tett.. sprung to and surprised me, ripped out of the pot in a week and grew 3 inches in a few days.. must transplant it next weekend

Piccie of my first sprout.. :wub:

1.JPG

im sure the others will be along any time now and cant wait :beer:

I happen to have some stainless/galved wire (free when a mate come round to mint the hills hoist) I was thinkin of using but not sure if they will grab onto it... I could always run the steel wire for strength and then some string round it for them to grab onto...

I'm pretty sure you'll be right with that :icon_cheers: It's what Ratchie uses, and come to think of it it would be grippier than the stuff the pro's use.

http://www.arcelormittal.com/distributionsolutions/wiresolutions/industrialwire/products/annealed_wire/hop_wire ://http://www.arcelormittal.com/distri..._wire/hop_wire

I have a gardening problem!

I planted the rhizomes horizontally instead of vertically in a temporary planter until I finish making my hop boxes. The first shoots came through during the week (that's the good news) and I thought I would correct the direction of the rhizomes by making them vertical. Some of the shoots were then exposed when they were before hand underground and the sun got to a couple of the shoots and they have gone dead and limp, the shoot half way up still has life, but the tip is cactus.

Does that mean that shoot is finished or will it regenerate?

Cheers.

they will prob shoot out of the shoots, I had this when I didnt water mine and it died right back little shoots came out of the vine and just ended up with heaps of straggly vines growing out of the old one. I wouldnt worry as long as the plants not dead you may be like me and get no crop on first year though

yeah my POR has 4 shoots coming up and the chinook no sign yet but time will tell. So even though I tried my best to kill them there still growing haha

is the main horizontal line up top just rope?

nice lookin rig man,

1st signs of life for me is the tett.. sprung to and surprised me, ripped out of the pot in a week and grew 3 inches in a few days.. must transplant it next weekend

Piccie of my first sprout.. :wub:

View attachment 48102

im sure the others will be along any time now and cant wait :beer:
the top wires are the plastic coated clothes line wire from bunnings. if i had some of the ss wire i would of used it, but its so god damn expensive.

I reckon something strong on your horizontals and then jute (or similar) string running down to the ground. Jute being a fibre string will be good for the hops to grip onto.

The biggest reason for using jute (or similar) is that when the hops die off, you just cut the string and bine at top and bottom and put the whole lot in the bin, easy. Think about it; if you want to recycle the vertical strings then if the vertical strings are 'grippy' then you're going to have trouble getting the bines off them when dead. Make it easier on yourself, use disposable vertical strings.

Edit: Here's a picture of my 1st yr Goldings, I really need to sort out some sort of trellis system for them!

I have a trellis for my zomes in pots, but don't think it appropriate for the ones planted in the garden bed (because of other plants). I am not sure what to do for the garden bed, just that I have to do something soon. The pot trellis was about 2.2m above the height of the top of the pot, it did not seem to be high enough. I reckon 3-4 m would be better but that is a height at which it is not easy to get up a ladder to harvest cones. So I am thinking of a structure at 3.5m high that I can raise or lower the vertical strings from a pulley arrangement and that wouldn't really work on the system below. So I have not built the same system on the garden bed.
I think I am over thinking the possibilities.

Trellis for pots:

Latest posts

Back