2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mines just starting to poke shoots out as well, I haven't set up my trellis system yet. :\

Anyone got any Golding rhizomes spare, happy to pay for them for them of course!

Here are my second year Cascade hops.
I have them planted in a 100L container.

I'm pretty stoked, they only had 2 bines last year but I just counted 6 sprouting out today :D :D

2011_hops_1st_buds_chopped.jpg

they look purple! Is that normal?
2011_hops_1st_buds_2_chopped.jpg

I only got about 80g dried from them last year but they were great for my aroma additions. If I get crazy amounts of them this year, I'll be doing a 10Min IPA with them :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

HC

my POR has about 20 bines heading out and 6 or so have opening leaves........... but this plant was growing out of a plastic bag in a 4 deg fridge when i got it so im not suprised.

Got half a kg of dry hops off it last season after 3 months in the dirt, this year it should take over the house........ i will take some pics when its not raining :)

cheers

yeah stick it up me tony lol. Mine has prob 5 shoots I will try water it this year but doing 10 days on 4 days off I will have to revise a system while I am not here guy I talked to said you can get a dripper and hook it upto a PET bottle and it will slowly release the water may be the best idea when I am away.

Tony that plant was not normal wasnt surprised it went nuts but I bet I still would of killed it

Kelby, a PET bottle might not give you enough water if you're away for ten days.
I think I might hook up my irrigation system to the hops this year as I only grow in smallish pots, I built it for the veggie roof garden a few years back. If you have a good look around at Bunnings I reckon you can hook something up for around 50 bucks including timer, enough hoses, connections and drippers, even a rain sensor.

yeah prob a good idea. will have a look around to see what I can setup. didnt think they would shoot so soon was going to dig them up and condition the soil 500x500x500 but guess I will have to just fertilise and mulch. I am going away tomorrow and didnt check them till tonight after seeing this thread so will pump em up in 10 days lol

I am quite surprised by my 1st yr Goldings growth (a large rhizome from DrSmurto). 3 1/2 weeks in the ground and the bines are long/tall enough that they are bending about looking for something to climb. I'd best get the trellis sorted out soon!

I am quite surprised by my 1st yr Goldings growth (a large rhizome from DrSmurto). 3 1/2 weeks in the ground and the bines are long/tall enough that they are bending about looking for something to climb. I'd best get the trellis sorted out soon!

I put some fairly small rhizomes in - Goldings, Cascade and Chinook - about two weeks ago (thanks Ratchie ;), and have just seen the first shoots coming through on the Goldings today. Nothing from the others yet.

I have a Challenger, going really well, several shoots, Saaz nothing and a Hersbrucker with two very small shoots. Challenger just went in ground ready to climb the ugly stobie pole out front :D

I have a Challenger, going really well, several shoots, Saaz nothing and a Hersbrucker with two very small shoots. Challenger just went in ground ready to climb the ugly stobie pole out front :D

Up the stobie pole, I love it!!!

Hey guys I've noticed a few posts from people around Melbourne... Is it too early too be planting due to frost? I'm in Bacchus marsh about 30 min from melb would I right to plant yet?

It's bee nice and warm the last few days/week, if this continues should be fine to plant them.

Are all you bright sparks out there sure that frost even affects hops? :huh:
Why don't you take that bucket off your head and use it to cover up your hops at night if you're that worried about frost? :lol:

Are all you bright sparks out there sure that frost even affects hops? :huh:
Yes, and if you need more evidence, a quick Google search will provide examples of home-hop-growers who have had their plants damaged by frost.

I read one entry on an American blog where an individual stated that only one of his 8 plants, a Mt. Hood showed any damage after 5 or 6 days of frost and 4 days of snow. :mellow: That I found after you said to check google.

Keeping them covered in hay, and waiting to plant new rhizomes until 1st week of September (expected possible last frost).

No need. Twice I've seen my hops emerge in spring when the weather warmed, but then things turned and we had daytime highs of -10C for a week. Since my Hallertauer is on the South side of the house, it is always the first to emerge, even before all the snow is gone. Even with the week of freezing temperatures, it didn't even change colour, let alone suffer frost damage. They're very tough plants.

they look purple! Is that normal?

Yes. Some more so than others - my Centennials are very very purple, Mt Hood quite purple, same with Cascade. The others I have are more green than purple, but with red tinges.

I've had plants emerge before the end of winter and whislt not suffering any visible signs of dmanage from the frost they didnt grow for another 2 months.

My Victoria has poked its head through 10 cm of horse manure, a bit of a warm end to winter in Adelaide so it has been hoodwinked. I would expect a few more frosts before the end of September (usually no frost after the AFL GF) so will be interesting to see how it copes. The rest of my hops are still fast asleep.

Back