2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just in contact with Rupert of Hopswest and asked about the availability of citra, galaxy etc etc.
To quote, "A very long time... They all have Plant Breeders Rights (PBR). I dont know if their is a time limit on PBR (such as twenty years) ...done a quick search but didnt find anything. They are sold, as far as I know, under licence only to large scale commercial growers."
Bummer
Cheers
BBB

do we know where/if they are grown in Australia?

Would be a terrible shame if when out for a walk one day a cutting fell off into some rooting hormone :ph34r:

with 'permission' of course...

[edit] was reading a bit last night and it said that the hop yard should be laid out in an East/west direction? I can see the logic there I guess, damn I was pegging mine North South, better go and have another look at the back yard, I presumed it wouldnt matter too much as when they get to the top they'd all be getting the same.. er..

flawed theory?

DSC01820.JPG

From L to R at the back of the house, Centennial, Centennial, Willamette, Cascade, Cascade. The hop running from the house to the trellis on the right is a Mt Hood.

DSC01821.JPG

Better view of the Mt Hood with the Cascade and Willamette in the background.

DSC01822.JPG

Golding.

DSC01823.JPG

Fuggle on the left and Hallertauer on the right.

DSC01824.JPG

Centennial on the left and Sterling on the right. This is the west side of the house and it gets the brunt of the wind and weather - the Sterling collapsed about 2 weeks ago in a thunderstorm. It was just like the Centennial prior to that.

They're all starting to bud. Should get full fledged flowers in 2-3 weeks at most.

[edit] was reading a bit last night and it said that the hop yard should be laid out in an East/west direction? I can see the logic there I guess, damn I was pegging mine North South, better go and have another look at the back yard, I presumed it wouldnt matter too much as when they get to the top they'd all be getting the same.. er..

flawed theory?
Mine run North-South.
I think the main thing is to ensure they get maximum sunlight (all hours of the day if possible), the best way achieve that might depend on the orientation of your yard etc.

I have been busy buliding a raised garden bed to recieve my hop rhizomes from the 1/2 wine barrels they were in. No the back green fence is not that wonky - wide angle lense pictures stitched together = distorted picture.

It's not going to be all full of hops, just the two side sections. 6 varieties is probably more than I could hope for in a residential block like this (I still have two more varieites in 1/2 wine barrels, so eight in total). It is probably too early to be planting them but the missus wanted to put roses in the 1/2 wine barrels. My hops are in the garden bed, her roses are in the pots; that's the sort of compromise I am happy to make :D

So far I have carted and shovelled about 6 tonne (or twelve trailer 1/2 tonne loads) of organic loam into it.
Here's my Chinook out of the 1/2 barrell, divided up and placed on the soil for spacing (same variety so put close together) prior to burial. This is the left hand side of the previous photo.

I too have been somewhat busy in the garden...

1.JPG any good project starts with a hole... stoopid clay soil
2.JPG reinforced pole socket, reo running in both directions, this will provide horizontal (weight) and lateral (wind) load support.. I hope..
3.JPG Pole socket insitu
8.JPG This will "slot" into the Pole socket and then be welded, this 'should' provide enough support and transfer the load to the reo.
4.JPG First time Ive used this stuff... freakin awesome, pour water, add bag, poke with stick, wait 20 mins and repeat. The hole will eventually have 5 bags!!
5.JPG 3 bags in
6.JPG 4 bags in only just covers the horizontal load reo, hence 1 more bag will be added, probably overkill but better too much than not enough
7.JPG Hop yard will run from the hole to the fence, enough space for 5 or 6 in the future, 3 going in this year, 2 Chinook and 1 Goldings (Cheers Doc)

Today I till the soil for the Rhyzomes and maybe plant out in a week or so.. Im thinking they could probably go in now though..

B)

the cotinuation..

1.JPG pole assembeled and strengthened.. might get round to painting it.. mebee, slid into place so easy, still need to weld it to the base pole from the previous post.

2.JPG Fence attachmnt end, more a temporary thing atm.. will sound it out this season

3.JPG Attached to fence

5.JPG Lower attachment rings.

4.JPG The 2011 Hop Yard,

just have to run the strings, thinking of running the strings through the top rings on the "T" pieces to a lower attachment ring so that I can lower the main top rope to harvest more easily.. the trees along the side are also in line for a heavy pruning sometime very soon :ph34r: think I might need a skip :lol:

Yob

So finally got around to planting my 3rd year chinook rhizome back into the ground after moving.
DSCN4424.JPG

DSCN4425.JPG
First trellis up.

DSCN4426.JPG
Goldings starting to show some green tinges on the shoots...

did you trim that Rhizome back Raven? Its sprouting all over the place.. also... are you guys frost free already? Ive been achin to get em planted but am worried that the frosts will get to them..

Yob

Yeah I did trim mine back, however at the end of the season I covered it deep in mulch. I reckon its all broken down so they are sticking up a bit more now. I will likely trim back the old dead growth in the coming weeks.

(I trim the bines back after the leaves have gone brown and fallen off).

Still getting frosts in the Adelaide Hills, however the mulch keeps them comfy I think.

The large Chinook rhizome I took some cuttings off of, then trimmed it up (only a little bit neater) then planted it back into the ground. Covered in mulch with a small dose of water/light seasol mix.

So Raven, you are of the opinion the it is fine to plant Rhizomes in Adelaide now?

I was holding out to the end of Aug but getting itchy fingers.

I reckon yes to planting now, don't water them too much yet though. Cover in mulch and wait for them to shoot up!

I have had one of each of Smurtos POR & Goldings in potting soil in 20x20cm square pots under the back deck since delivery back in May - kept moist & sugarcane mulch on top. A couple of weeks ago I noticed the POR poking up a sprout, so last weekend I planted it in the raised bed that I had prepared against the NW facing brick garage wall... the winter veggies are doing well there (Broadbeans, Snow Peas, Beetroot, & Potatoes) and I recently "possum proofed" it with 1m high chicken wire (bloody possums!).

It is reasonably well frost protected with a bit of eave and gum tree overhang, so I think it will be ok in terms of frost.

The best photo I have is a rather blurry phone camera shot...
07082011.jpg

Will have to get some batteries in the happy snappy point & click to take better photos :)

the saga continues

1.JPG gaden bed and first hole mortared in

2.JPG the hole goes down about a foot or so and is now quite nice soil whith the stuff Ive put in there

3.JPG first chinook going in... joy!!

4.JPG the rhizome is planted about half way down the top of the bricks loose soil over

5.JPG a bit of mulsh for good luck

6.JPG a bit of compost for love + a load of gypsum (claybreaker), blood and bone + trace elements, compost and mulch + slow release...

's-gunna luv it

:icon_drunk:

View attachment 47620 first chinook going in... joy!!

View attachment 47621 the rhizome is planted about half way down the top of the bricks loose soil over
Looks good, and you're plants are going to be spoiled by the time it comes time to grow.
However (unless those bricks go about 6foot-deep) you do realize that the little 'square' you have planted the rhizome in will not be enough room to contain it? :)
(Just look at DrS's plants from last year to see how much room they'll take up).

Looks good, and you're plants are going to be spoiled by the time it comes time to grow.
However (unless those bricks go about 6foot-deep) you do realize that the little 'square' you have planted the rhizome in will not be enough room to contain it? :)
(Just look at DrS's plants from last year to see how much room they'll take up).

;) yeah I know it will redily outgrow that small 'square', Ive made it so I can expand the hole in future when required, in a few years/next year that will extend out to the right under the overhead lines, I figured for the first year it 'probably' will be happy enough in a smaller home... er.. hopefully :rolleyes:

Yob

Latest posts

Back