2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked on my hops today and i have a few shoots coming up. Looking good but how do i tell if i have Hallertau or POR? I believe i have Hallertau.

Also should i cut the pants so i only have one main shoot or just let them go and see which one becomes dominant?

let em all grow mate, if they were in pots I might be tempted to keep it to a few bines but if in the ground just let them go..

there was a few posts in last years topic about this and the general consensus was to keep as many as possible. (more hops!!)

being first year plants Im only getting one or two bines per plant anyway..

as to what sort they are... ummm.. dont you know where you planted what? Its a good idea to keep different variety's a little ways apart so they dont grow into each other.

Yob

my little baby!!!

hops.JPG

let em all grow mate, if they were in pots I might be tempted to keep it to a few bines but if in the ground just let them go..

there was a few posts in last years topic about this and the general consensus was to keep as many as possible. (more hops!!)

being first year plants Im only getting one or two bines per plant anyway..

as to what sort they are... ummm.. dont you know where you planted what? Its a good idea to keep different variety's a little ways apart so they dont grow into each other.

Yob

yob,

I boght them off ebay and the seler said he could get POR or Saaz or Hallertau. I asked for hallertau but had to state it in the message line as the item for sale was POR. I was given 4 rhizomes and i have given 1 away and planted 3. so there all the same in the backyard

Guys my hersbrucker grew about 30 cm but has now stopped for several weeks and the edges of the leaves are brown. Plenty of water and seasol and organic compost. Any ideas?

Jurule .... is your plant in a pot or ground ?? it could be something as simple as it has too wet feet ?

In a 52 litre pot with well draining potting mix. We've had a lot of rain in Adelaide recently

In a 52 litre pot with well draining potting mix. We've had a lot of rain in Adelaide recently

Do you have a tray under the pot? Even with good draining potting mix a tray will retain too much moisture during rainy perioids.

As for a lot of rain, i think the recent drought has clouded (sic) your memory of regular spring rainfall :icon_cheers:

I had a cluster a few years ago and each year it would do the same thing. Grow up to maybe 60cm and then stop and not do anything for months whilst all the other hops around took off. I eventually dug it up and got rid of it. Not sure why it kept doing that and i never got a crop.

Nah no tray. Will have to wait and see how she goes I guess. Cheers

Jurule .... good plan .. whats the worst that can happen ??? it will grow or it wont ... If it doesnt .. then try again next year .. :)

Managed to kill my por and chinook.. O well I'll go for next year maybe cascade and saaz

Jurule .... good plan .. whats the worst that can happen ??? it will grow or it wont ... If it doesnt .. then try again next year .. :)

Stick some rocks under it so the pot is elevated. Also, drill some extra drainage holes in the lower sides of the pot to help the water escape. Little buggers are hardy, but you can drown anything in a pot with poor drainage. its not the topsoil that you need to check in the pots, its further down where the soil can get pretty rancid if waterlogged.

I have just planted my last hop rhizome for the year does anyone know if it is too late for it to actually yield any cones this season?

Guys my hersbrucker grew about 30 cm but has now stopped for several weeks and the edges of the leaves are brown. Plenty of water and seasol and organic compost. Any ideas?
My cascade is doing the same thing, or so I thought....

Checked it on the weekend and all through the bed new sprouts are breaking the surface about 1/2 a metre away from the original planting.

Nice 1 blackapple. Hopefully I have te same luck. I just dug mine up ad checked the roots. It was a bit water logged think I need to ease back. There were new shoots on the base so I replanted it with the new shoots pointing up and trimmed back the main one

I wonder why no one ever seems to reply to my posts it gets quite frustrating after a while....

I wonder why no one ever seems to reply to my posts it gets quite frustrating after a while....

after a while.... like watching paint dry!

you should be ok to plant - don't expect too much in your first year for the hops though

Hi Cambrew,
this is my first try at growing hops so this is hear-say only.
But I was told by a mate who has been growing hops for a couple of years that he was just going to plant his now.
That last year there were several yearly shots that just died and the newer, stronger ones did not start until really late spring.
So I am hoping my one will have a chance even though I just planted it.

Either way, it's fun to try, right?
If I get a handful of fresh hops to add late to a brew it will be worth it.

thanks
Bjorn

Back